• 1 Post By Shootinit
  • 6 Post By Chuck43
  • 2 Post By The Tourist
  • 3 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #1

Metal & Rocks

No, this isn't about the latest Metallica album. It's my latest experiments with knives and stones.

First new toy is a drill stop for the Edge Pro, that allows more precise angle consistency when using different thicknesses of stones. Gotta tell ya, it makes a difference that's obvious along the whole edge when viewing it under magnification.

First up on the polishing block was the Spyderco Manix 2 in S110V that I've been carrying for a couple months. I've grown fond of the weirdness of the Spydercos, and I'm picky about locks. The Manix 2 sports a ball bearing lock. It's nice, but the spring is a little stiff. I'd like to change it, but the lightweight version is riveted together. I like the flat sides, the fit to my hand, and even the Spydie Hole.

I polished the Manix 2 into the sub-micron realm, and it really looked like a good job. But the fingertip test didn't excite me. After a day, I couldn't stand it. I went at it with an EdgePro 800 grit stone, and was still uninspired. Next was a 400 Bamboo from Ken Schwartz, and then I finished with 40 micron diamonds. The edge made me much happier, so I left it at that.

The other knife I've been playing with... or more accurately, which has been sitting on my desk, is the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. It doesn't fit my hand as perfectly as the Manix 2, but I love the compression lock. It's like an upside down liner lock, but with out the inherent weaknesses. This blade is S30V. Interestingly, I found this metal much quicker to cut, and easier to create a nice edge. I think the compression lock might make this knife into my favorite once I start carrying it.

For now, I'll keep carrying the Manix 2 because I don't want to beat up the PM2 just yet. For now it can sit on my desk looking all spiffy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3222.jpeg (3.99 MB, 7 views)
Dude22, Jflytle, 427malibu and 1 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #2

Never had any issues with my spyderco's...one day with my new artisan and i try to slice my leg open
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
Never had any issues with my spyderco's...one day with my new artisan and i try to slice my leg open
From one dummy to another, I feel your pain, brother. I have a Pardue designed little switchblade--cute as all get out. If you're foolish, it's small enough to carry in a pocket. If you're really dumb, you can carry it with the safety off.

I was HIGH on a mountaintop in the dead of winter. My little coffin tent was set up, and it was time to sip whiskey and cook dinner. I reached into my pocket... and you can guess the rest. It didn't matter how much red stuff was leaking out, there was NO leaving the mountain that night, and it was a full day's hike just to get back to the truck. So instead of stitches, I said a lot of naughty words and slapped some rags and bandaids on it. And then I drank whiskey. It's an antibiotic, you know.
Chuck43, Shootinit, wayne and 1 others like this.

Join the NRA

Old 06-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #4

I still couldn't stand the edge on the Manix 2. It was p1551n' me off. So I asked myself, what would The Tourist do? I think he'd just go back a stone and do a do-over. Well, I was far beyond "one stone" off. I went back a whole pile of stones and started from scratch.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem was. Maybe it's that fancy new "drill stop" that I'm using. I think that it's fine for rough adjustments, but some intuitive minor adjustments are needed if you want to circumcise the fly.

All is good now, and I'll be able to sleep well tonight.

Join the NRA
Old 06-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

I figured out what the issue is...the knife has the detent on the release....when i tested it i was grabbing the knife hard and pulling the blade...problem is when you do that. i was pushing on the release and making it tight ..so i thought it was a good firm detent...after the fact i found out that i virtually has no pressure on the detent when not gripping the knife...the detent should be on the mainframe...bad design

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
From one dummy to another, I feel your pain, brother. I have a Pardue designed little switchblade--cute as all get out. If you're foolish, it's small enough to carry in a pocket. If you're really dumb, you can carry it with the safety off.

I was HIGH on a mountaintop in the dead of winter. My little coffin tent was set up, and it was time to sip whiskey and cook dinner. I reached into my pocket... and you can guess the rest. It didn't matter how much red stuff was leaking out, there was NO leaving the mountain that night, and it was a full day's hike just to get back to the truck. So instead of stitches, I said a lot of naughty words and slapped some rags and bandaids on it. And then I drank whiskey. It's an antibiotic, you know.
RustyIron likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
Super Moderator

With the Wicked Edge system I have I use a magnetic digital angle gauge. First I zero it on the base of the sharpener then set it on the guide rod.

Then I use the micro adjuster on the arm to compensate for the different stone thickness.

RustyIron, Tejun, Jflytle and 3 others like this.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #7

Wow, you guys are really taking this seriously!

...I'm going to have to up my game...
Chuck43 and Tejun like this.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #8

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Wow, you guys are really taking this seriously!
You got that right, buddy.
Already I'm walking around the house in a bath robe and polishing my katana with my feet.

虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず
Chuck43, Tejun and wayne like this.

Join the NRA
Old 06-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #9

Translated (as I remember) your Japanese slogan means, "I think (or defer) that this geisha is a man (possibly a boy).

...stick with the knives...
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.