Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

New CRKT blade, very disappointing.

I am currently repairing and cursing the latest knife I got from CRKT. It is called a "Monashee." What a disaster! There wasn't two areas (of any side) that mated with the grind! In fact, the first 5/8s of the ricasso did not even touch the factory grinding wheel. It was just a part of the unfinished blade blank.

The biggest claim to fame on this folder is that it is one of their "hands free take-down" models that easily comes apart without tools for a thorough cleaning.

I tipped the blade upside down with the edge proud, took a metal 140 Atoma shaping stone and ground off most of the sloppy ricasso. All I can do now is to blend it into the bevel--it will be wider at the back than at the front, but it will be sharp.

I'm thinking about finishing the edge with 4K and then a 6K and just sticking the knife into my jeans...
Old 06-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #2

It should not take the better part of an afternoon to "repair" a brand new knife. The best thing about this knife is that you can take it apart with your bare hands.

The knife now resides in my jeans. I polished the edge just to make sure the bevel was straight and true. The rear of the bevel did blend, but it still looks a bit hokey.

BTW, I have another one of these knives (with the factory bevel) new and in the box. Any takers?

Click on pictures to enlarge.

DSC02673.JPG

DSC02672.JPG

DSC02671.JPG

DSC02670.JPG
Old 06-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

CRKT, in my limited experience, are just a hair's breadth above a minimum viable folder. I've caught one or two from a good batch of that dubious (Chinese?) alloy that take and hold decent edge. They cut stuff that needs cut, but won't win beauty contests or make me sad if lost.
Bentlink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

I'm in the same boat, but the steel used in the latest ones I've ordered isn't that bad.

My guess is that it is a mundane alloy, just over hardened.

I have a Prequel knife that is holding the original polished edge I provided. Granted, I don't push a CRKT blade to the breaking point, but they will slice if you take care in refining the edge.

Edit: BTW, guys, the best picture is the one of the blade alone atop the Queen of Hearts. It shows the edge and the back of the bevel where I had to blend it.
Chuck43 and wayne like this.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #5

Update: During the Hannity radio show and the Mark Levin radio show, I played with this Monashee.

BTW, those two shows comprised six hours. I have no idea how many times I opened and closed the knife.

I'll admit it, I softened to the folder. The repaired edge was truly keen and the rear of the bevel isn't that bad. The repairs did take a very long time.

But it does meet the requirements I had originally outlined. One, it has to cleanly cleave meat at a our favorite restaurant, "Doolittles." They don't give you knives there.

Two, it had to 'polish' to crosscut any meat dish, even a steak.

Three, it had to be easy to clean. Yikes, it comes apart without tools.

It met what I wanted, and it's in my jeans for this afternoon. Hopefully, Chuck will get his "showcase slice report."

What else would you call a 'range report' for a knife?
wayne likes this.