I cannot stop after consuming only one... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wayne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

I cannot stop after consuming only one...

Shown below is my new Boker Kalashnikov 74 Bowie switchblade. It is my third Bowie, I just cannot stop buying them!

This one, however, will become my new "usin' Bowie." The bevel is not uniform or symmetrical. The edge is wider on the right side, and narrower on the left.

To make it uniform would require me to scrape off lots of valuable metal, and I can get to the same place by doing gentle buffing when the knife gets dull.

As for the action--yikes! Like all of these Boker switchblades, the deployment is sudden, followed by a loud 'crack' and the powerful slap against your palm.

A very teenie drop of Joyce's "Quick Release" lubricant and the blade flies out smoothly.

Don't ask, none of these are for sale at any price. There is only one supplier I know of, and that dealer has already done up the same Bowie, but as 'black-on-black.' My guess is that either the copper model wasn't selling (more for me) or the process was too costly to do a serious and numerous roll-out.

Click on picture to enlarge.

DSC02675.JPG
Old 06-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

As you can see, there are indeed three Bowies. The one on the farthest left and the one in the middle are "the perfect ones."

The one on their far right is the new one.

Click on picture to enlarge.

DSC02676.JPG
Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #3

BladeHQ is showing your Copper/Green/Bowie Kalashnikov , on their website, on sale for $34.99.

I have purchased three Kalashnikovs from them. The Copper/FDE is my EDC. The Grey drop point I gave to a friend. The Black/Black Tanto I just hold and look at it makes me feel good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1210.JPG (1.72 MB, 7 views)
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
wfm

They are on sale at BladeHQ, $34.99 plus just $2.99 shipping, to Tenn. anyway.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

Thanks a lot guys I just blew the money I was saving for stones, I ordered 2, a black/black bowie and smoke/black dagger. If I had the money I would have ordered more. At those prices you almost have to order more than 1. The wife is not gonna happy when she finds out.
Jflytle and PaulWVa like this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #6

Originally Posted by wfm View Post
They are on sale at BladeHQ, $34.99 plus just $2.99 shipping, to Tenn. anyway.
Yup, that's the tariff for the copper Bowie now. Here's why I posted the story about the knife. I had hoped some of the members here would buy one, just not mine!

Here's what I wonder. Clearly, a Boker Kalashnikov is a great knife at an incredible price. So Boker and Blade HQ lower the price (?)

Being a salesman, I know about inventory that doesn't move or you stock a product that you feel is good for your clients and they aren't impressed.

When this happens you lower the price to clear out the merchandise.

I get a monthly catalog from Blue Ridge every month. And in this 5/8s thick catalog, there are numerous items marked "close-out."

Now, I think the copper plating on the knife is a tremendous feature. I live in Wisconsin, where if it ain't raining it's snowing. The only protection on my black/green drop-point is simply the black paint--and I have perhaps a dozen tiny chips on the spine and ricasso.

If there's a copper Bowie out there and you have 34 bucks, I'd get one before the discount collectors buy them all up.

Yes, I'm thinking about that black/black Bowie myself...
Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #7

The chips in the paint are just character, if their still on sale and available at the end of the week I may order a copper one.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #8

Oh, I don't let a few flakes bother me. The chips on the knife don't bother me either...

I carry my black/green Boker drop point daily. It was the first Boker I bought from my friend Joyce at Horizon Bladeworks. Over the months we have shared numerous phone calls and some of the tragedies.

In fact, that black/green knife is right next to my computer today.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Thanks a lot guys I just blew the money I was saving for stones.
Don't panic. Just call Ken Schwartz (209-612-2790) and tell him you need stones, and discuss which grit ranges.

I have a metric ton of rocks from Nippon. And truth be told, most of the time I buy one and only one just to spread out the costs.

Ken is packing now to move. He'll make a deal to keep from moving (honestly) several tons of finished and raw stones.

I'm glad you got some Bokers. If you get a chance, go to Blade HQ and clip on "all automatic knives." They have a video on that section, and the knife guys all claim a Boker should be one of the first autos you get.

Their video is below:

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Side-Op...Automatics--40

Last edited by The Tourist; 06-11-2019 at 01:53 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #10

I got out that "Number 3" copper Bowie and lightly thumbed the edge. It wasn't as sharp as I thought.

Considering that the factory grinder put two differing bevels on the knife (one thin, and the other side wider) I figured that this might be a time to fix the thing, since it's dark and my wife and mutt are asleep.

The ritual was quite common, three of more passes on the thin side, then flip the knife, and make one lateral pass on the wider side.

I did not even consider re-shaping the edge with an Atoma. I just found a 600 grit white rock from Ken Schwartz and simply trued up the edge while getting it a tad sharper.

Like I said, this is a "usin' knife." It will get sharper as subsequent polishings permit, and the minimum of metal will be sacrificed.