My new "bigger" came today. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #1

My new "bigger" came today.

Thinking my new knife would come UPs, I just made peace with myself that I had missed the driver. I hung my head, and went out to get yesterday's mail. What a surprise! They shipped the knife USPS!

Oh, what a knife! It was everything I wanted. It is slim and will slide into your pocket and barely leave a print. The blade is wide, and surprisingly honed by a guy who actually knew what he was doing. The edge is toasty, and I didn't have to correct a bad bevel.

I bought the simple, plain black grips, and I was glad I did. They are smooth and flat, devoid of any raised sections. Each grip is fastened with six stout pins, so this baby ain't going to be coming apart by accident.

I had seen the ads in knife magazines showcasing this folder, and I lusted after this model. But I have lots of knives, and I couldn't justify the added expense. But life is short. This knife will be pretty good at most chores. With that wide stainless blade I'll bet you could fix a nice breakfast on the fly while out camping.

Picture below. Click to enlarge.

DSC02907.JPG
Chuck43, Dude22, bhunted and 6 others like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 10-17-2019 at 03:16 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

Nice
motormac likes this.
Edibrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

Looks very stout.
motormac likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2019, 05:29 PM   #4

This might appear to be a lead weight, but it's very slim overall all despite how beefy the blade is. There is a specially placed "channel" within the knife which acts as three bolts or rivets and still lets the blade drop father down into the handle.

The stainless features mesh without gaps or unevenness. The lock is tight, but releases with just your thumb. As I stated, the blade came very sharp, and the bevel itself is pretty uniform for a factory sharpening.

I watched a YouTube video where a guy used his thumb pushing on the nail-nick which swung the blade open quite easily. My knife is still fairly tight, but I opened the blade the same way on the first try.

I jammed a folded piece of felt into the right front jeans pocket. I hate scratching a new toy!
Dude22, bhunted and motormac like this.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #5

On the ship, we placed a piece of marlin into the bottom of the channel, and dripped oil into the marlin, so that the salt air would not affect the blade.
bhunted likes this.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

Not much to keep your hand from sliding down, no?
What’s total open length?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChattanoogaPhil and motormac like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #7

Just realized you got your pictures working again, hey?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:53 AM   #8

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Not much to keep your hand from sliding down, no? What’s total open length?
It looks like 7.5 inches to me. I just watched a video where the designers of this later model were told to make a Sunfish with a smaller handle. They made this handle smaller, with the internal channel, and only shortened the blade by a smidgen.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:16 AM   #9

I would add one thing that I've noticed. A 'jackknife' rubs off a distinct feeling in you, a very good feeling I might relate.

When my wife and I go to the mall we usually include a CCW and I pack a stiletto. I have told my wife that trips to their coffee cafe' are starting to wear on me, the clientele at that facility is getting a little spooky. And strangely, the stiletto doesn't help. I cannot help but look at that knife as a weapon only.

Now, fast forward to yesterday when I was getting to know this Sunfish. I found a velvet pouch that fit my right front jeans pocket perfectly, and I started to cogitate over the fun projects that folder will bring. It made me grin!

Moreover, I found myself relaxing, I became a "hobbyist" and no longer "armed." In fact, I found myself rolling that Sunfish in my hand without noticing the motion, and you could say this is the knife collector's version of 'worry beads.'

I also started making plans, positive plans. I like to have a 'spare' for many of my toys. I always fear I'll ding something, or lose it, and having a spare is a comfort. I've seen quite a few upscale grips on the videos of other Sunfish, and I might try one of those, too.

My dad seemed to calm down from his job. Later in life he was an executive vice president. He'd be as tense as an auditor who forgot to add three zeroes on a tabulation. But the moment he picked up his favorite rod, threw a cast and the fly hit the water, he'd settle back in total bliss.

I want my knife collection to do that.
motormac likes this.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #10

Yikes, unknown to me I became a groupie!

When I buy knives and the accoutrements I seldom look at the maker's mark, instead I look for quality. For this new folder, I wanted something in real leather, and by dumb luck, I found a sheath in my knife closet.

Now, the sheath I had was tan leather and I would have preferred black. Of course, that knife and a firearm would be carried under a jacket or untucked shirt as Wisconsin law says CCW arms must be concealed.

The knife is new, but the sheath I've got must be a few years old. The knife fits the holster perfectly, and I figured I lucked out.

A few days later I happened to be looking at the maker's marks on both items, and dang, both the knife and the sheath are made by A. G. Russell! And by a weirder chance, they are the only Russell items I own!

Like I said, this is a jackknife, not a defensive item. But I would suggest you get a Sunfish, just to have something of quality. I have a spare on order...

[IMG]DSC02909.JPG[/IMG]

Last edited by The Tourist; 10-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote