I would like some information from the veterans here. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

I would like some information from the veterans here.

I like to buy good folders, and one of the best ever is an automatic version of a Dwyer/Strider knife entitled the "SnG."

I learned years ago that this really means "S and G," the names of two sniper heroes that held a roof until the soldiers on the ground got to safety. It is my understanding that these two heroes died in the exchange.

I was never a soldier, so carrying around this stunning piece of history bothers me a bit. After all, one of the purposes of this knife is self-defense--and my life might be saved by the ghosts who made this fantastic tool possible.

Do any veterans here know the real names of these snipers? I think they should be identified and posted here--in honor.

Thanks, guys.

DSC02960.JPG
bhunted likes this.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
Super Moderator

SnG stands for "Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon," two military professionals Mick Strider named this knife after. Both men received the Medal of Honor for their duties in The Battle of Mogadishu in 1993.

On October 3, 1993 Gary Gordon was Sniper Team Leader during Operation Gothic Serpent (later become known as Battle of Mogadishu), a joint-force assault mission to apprehend key advisers to Somali warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid and warlord himself if possible. During the assault one of the Armyís Black Hawk helicopters providing insertion and air support to the assault team, was shot down and crashed in the city. Helicopter with call sign Super Six One. A CSRT (Combat Search and Rescue team) was dispatched to the first crash site to secure it and a short time later, another Black Hawk, Super Six Four was shot down as well. Available Ranger forces on the ground were not able to assist the downed helicopter crew of the second crash site as they were already engaged in heavy combat with Somaliís militia and making their way to the first crash site.

Gary Gordon and his Delta Force sniper teammates Sergeant First Class Randall Shughart and Sergeant First Class Brad Hallings, who were providing sniper cover from the air, wanted to be dropped at the second crash site in order to protect the four critically wounded crew, despite the fact that large numbers of armed, hostile Somalis were converging on the area.

Mission commanders denied their request, in fact, they said that the situation was already too dangerous for the three Delta snipers to effectively protect the Blackhawk crew from the ground because they were outnumbered by overwhelming Somali militias. The Commandís position was that three of them could be of more assistance by continuing to provide air cover.

Gary Gordon, however, concluded that there was no way the downed Black Hawk crew could survive on their own because they were outnumbered and critically wounded. He keeps repeating his request twice until he finally received permission to engage. Sergeant First Class Brad Hallings had assumed control of a minigun after a crew chief was injured and was not inserted with Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon.

Once on the ground, they were armed with only their personal weapons and sidearms. Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon fought their way to the downed Blackhawk. By this time more Somali militiamen were arriving who were intent on either capturing or killing the American servicemen. When they reached site of downed Super Six Four, Gordon and Shughart extracted the pilot, Chief Warrant Officer Mike Durant and the other crew members from the aircraft, and established defensive perimeter around the crash site. Despite having inflicted heavy casualties against the Somalis, the two Delta snipers were too outnumbered and outgunned. Their ammunition nearly depleted, Gordon and Shughart were killed by Somali militias gunfire. Later investigation and reconstruction concluded that Gordon was first to be killed. His teammate Randy Shughart retrieved Gordonís CAR-15 and gave it to Michael Durant to use. Shortly after, Randy Shughart was killed and Durant was taken alive. Immediately after the battle, the Somalis counted at least 25 of their own men dead with many more severely wounded.

Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart were the only soldiers participating in Operation Gothic Serpent (Battle of Mogadishu) to receive the militaryís highest honor, and the first Medal of Honor recipients since the Vietnam War.
bigdog10, 2sharp2, bhunted and 8 others like this.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

Chuck, thank you, thank you, thank you. I know this might sound odd, but I cannot use this knife without "wondering."

I now have the names of the men stamped into my folder for all time.

My knife is a solid, cogent item I will use to never forget Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #4

Chuck, didn't Hollywood make a movie about that? BlackHawk Down?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Chuck, didn't Hollywood make a movie about that? BlackHawk Down?
I know I'm not Chuck but Yup....

Nice summary of events Chuck!

SS Pro Carry II .45
Springfield XDm 3.8" 9mm
S&W M&P Shield .45
S&W SD9 9mm

Mossberg Patriot .308 - Vortex Crossfire 3x9
Henry Big Boy .44mag - Nikon Bushmaster 3x9
HM AR15 .223 - Sig Romeo 5 (S&W upper)
Weatherby SA-08

ďI won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." ― John Wayne - The Shootist 1976

Last edited by Doons; 10-31-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #6

I never saw the film, but know this now, I'm going to make sure I see it--that is if the story of the snipers gets told, as well.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Yes, they were portrayed in the movie "BlackHawk Down" it's one of the few movies that I bought the CD of.

When the movie "The Patriot" first came out in 2000 I bought a copy of the CD before I owned a CD player. I was still running a VCR but didn't want to chance not being able to get a copy of the CD before I got a player.
2sharp2 and bhunted like this.

Last edited by Chuck43; 11-01-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:42 PM   #8

Donít feel wrong for using it if you want. Youíll do it with honor. My boy gave me an Okinawa Marine hoodie from his camp when he came home. I asked him if I would be wrong to wear it because I was never a Marine. He said donít worry, wear it. Youíll honor them. Today heís a gunny. I trust his words profusely.

And yes.... Blackhawk Down, excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #9

@bhunted, well, my current SnG is an automatic, but it's enough like my original model to remember the heroes that represent this knife model.

Here's my problem. One night at 2:00AM I was walking home across Madison neighborhoods in the total darkness--no street lights on that section. Suddenly, a huge German Shepherd lunged at me out of the darkness, only to be stopped by a very short leash. I was shaken.

Now, I doubt these snipers were ever truly afraid of anything. Oh, they might have felt a few scares over noises and errant shots, but they stood their ground--right to the end.

Brave men stand as role models to me, I just cannot duplicate their exploits.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #10

You can't duplicate their mission or mentality, but as I said, you can carry it in their name. That is honoring them..

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
@bhunted, well, my current SnG is an automatic, but it's enough like my original model to remember the heroes that represent this knife model.

Here's my problem. One night at 2:00AM I was walking home across Madison neighborhoods in the total darkness--no street lights on that section. Suddenly, a huge German Shepherd lunged at me out of the darkness, only to be stopped by a very short leash. I was shaken.

Now, I doubt these snipers were ever truly afraid of anything. Oh, they might have felt a few scares over noises and errant shots, but they stood their ground--right to the end.

Brave men stand as role models to me, I just cannot duplicate their exploits.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote