Knife training. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #1

Knife training.

One of the things that bothers me about knives is that often debates center on "defensive options" and forget that a knife is a tool. Then again, I found nothing exciting about blade training--it's sweaty, embarrassing due to clumsiness, and the instructors actually hit you very hard!

I received three years of blade training. Two years in high school and one in college. In fact, my college instructor was actually a Dane County Judge, Archie E. Simonson.

Here's what might throw you--all of this was done most of the time with foils and a smidgen with sabers. These are swords. But I was a dumb kid back then, and I didn't yet know that a target was revealed with your eyes, your legs were "the thrust" and your hand (with proper fingering) was the 'brains' of the blade.

Fast forward. I started buying better knives. And lo and behold that former whimsical sword training was also a 100% adjunct to a knife. After all, it's the handle you manipulate and the blade follows no matter what its length.

If you like training and a good work-out, like in karate or boxing, I would suggest finding adult classes in foil. Yeah, yeah, it's a boring sword on a boring 40 foot strip. But if you're dedicated, you'll get to play on the circular area with sabers!

Oh, and Coach Simonson, he never liked me. First time he called me out to see if I was any good, I "tapped" him on the top of his head with a saber. (I was more than head taller than he was).

He backed up, somewhat chagrined, lowered his head for a moment, and gave me a sword "salute." Sadly, we never trained together again...
Old 11-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I found nothing exciting about blade training--it's sweaty, embarrassing due to clumsiness, and the instructors actually hit you very hard!
Knife training is the exact opposite for me. I love it.

Raining sweat is a badge of honor. It means you're working at 120%.

Clumsiness also means you're working at 120%. Those who never make mistakes are dogging it below their skill level and will never excel. If you work to the point of collapse and are still giving it 100%, you WILL become sloppy. But that is the path to excellence.

Hitting hard is what fighting is. If you don't like it, there's always macrame or canasta. A couple years ago we had one of the top instructors in the country come to work with us. His arms were covered in bruises. He had just come back from Israel for training. The "light bulb" was that even the best get beat up when they train. The better you are, the more it hurts.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #3

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Hitting hard is what fighting is. If you don't like it, there's always macrame or canasta.
On the whole I agree with you. But newbies shouldn't be put to death just to make a point.

Even in high school I came home with a few "purple bruises" on my torso from guys who are too dumb to know what 'practice' means.

This doesn't really teach anything. What it does is drive away people who champion your school or methods and tell others. If the instructor is a dick, you can bet he gets trashed on the street.

I doubt if fencing is taught now at either high school in Menomonee Falls. If it is, you can bet the libtards have everything wrapped in soft, down pillows...