Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #1

Schwartz polishing stones, a superior product.

As you know, I have been an area polisher for several years. I sought out top-flight chefs and even worked in their kitchens preparing their knives. If they are willing to trust you with handmade knives costing anywhere from 500 to +2,000 dollars you had better know your craft!

Early in my career I learned from an old knife forum that professional polishers were few and far between. I was surprised to find out there were only five polishers the pros trusted--four in the States and one in Canada. This is how I met Ken Schwartz.

Flat out, Ken knows knives--and in every facet. Not only is he a professional polisher, but he has contacts both in the States and Japan.

Recently Ken personally made some specialized stones for me. These did not come off a machine, but were handmade, hand polished and painstakingly flattened to mate perfectly with expensive knife bevels.

There's a lot to a "simple stone." They first need a dead-flat aluminum mounting bracket. To that is affixed a hand made, perfectly adjusted flat abrasive with a tediously polished working face. Machines cannot do this, just fastidious hours of care.

Below are the latest stones Ken made for me. Knowing my clients, Ken ensures that every bevel is flat, keen and polished to a flawless mirror finish.

If you want the best, call Ken at 209-612-2790.

DSC02988.JPG
Chuck43, bhunted and motormac like this.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #2

Hey, Dawg. Those stones look new. Time to get to work and make some mud!

Since my knowledge is limited, I'm open to all avenues of education. I've bounced around on a couple forums, and I actually DID learn something: most self-proclaimed knife sharpeners are a bunch of bloody wankers. Their work looks like elephant poo, and I would be ashamed to admit I did work like that. Oddly, they seem to be the most vociferous.

Skilled artisans are few and far between. So I listen to and look at the work of blokes like Ken, Chico, and a couple other guys on the interweb. I watch what they use, and their finished work, and then try to make my work look like that.

I recently got two more stones from Ken. He recommended them so I could get better results with a knife that was a bit of a challenge. Actually, he recommended ONE stone. I asked him what HE would use, and it was something different. So I asked him to make me both. I think his original recommendation was the one that I like best.

So tell us, are these new stones for something specific, or are they just part of your every-day arsenal?
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:36 AM   #3

@RustyIron, the stones I showed could be for many differing knives. I would guess that a laminated, Damascus Japanese gyuto might require all the stones I have, however, there's only one or two restaurants that demand that service.

Most knives only require two or three stones based on the Rc hardness.

I do/did take most of my stones to a kitchen because I never knew what I was going to get. And the thing that frustrated me was that most chefs just pushed their edges until I had to make a new, even bevel. I would have preferred that the chefs called me every month to six weeks.

When I set up at the old local Gander Mountain I worked there every afternoon for about five years. Oy, vey, the stuff they brought in!

Old 11-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #4

I can't imagine a knife that's been in constant use for a month. Our favorite kitchen knives and my pocket knife start making my OCD itch after just a couple weeks of light use.
Jflytle and Rick in Oregon like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #5

Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #6

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I can't imagine a knife that's been in constant use for a month. Our favorite kitchen knives and my pocket knife start making my OCD itch after just a couple weeks of light use.
I would have to say that carpenters who do the roughing work for a new home use their knives everyday. They have bundles of materials to slit open on every truck that shows up.

For a summer or three I worked in the carpentry shop of The Master Lock Company. Everything that the company did not make 'in-house' (which was rare in itself) came in some form from a shipper.

As the lowest man on the totem pole I was the one who had to fetch the material(s) off the dock, check the bill-of-lading for accuracy, and then schlep the entire amount back up to the fifth floor where +20 plus highly paid professional woodworkers were screaming for my scalp.

I found the wisdom in razor blade knives, especially the kind where a dull edge could snapped off by hand to reveal a new sharper section.

This is why I buy either two or four of a good working knife. I buy "features" not "beauty." Most of the knives I polish for clients come UPS. My knives might not work 'daily,' but I'll bet I open boxes and envelopes at least four times per week.
RustyIron and motormac like this.