I simply don't get it. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

I simply don't get it.

Yes, I am a polisher. I made the mistake of openly polishing a few of my knives at the old Gander Mountain. Well, it was more convenient to have the chefs look for me than to have me find their restaurants.

I talked to Ken Schwartz the other day and we talked about the knife stones I needed and the "business" in general. It appears that fewer and fewer craftsmen want to polish anymore.

But here's the upshot--if you can polish you get two pay days. One pay day for selling the client the knife, and two, you charge them for polishing the edge.

Yes, the stones are expensive and it appears the price is rising. I could buy two superior stones from Ken in "the good old days" for about 50 bucks. I just bought two more for the price of 148 dollars. And yes, you will need 25 to thirty differing stones for the laundry list of obscure alloys on the modern market.

I laughed when I learned that Japanese togishi craftsmen were a dying breed. Now I are one...
Old 11-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #2

Changing your OWN tire is a dying craft...
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
Changing your OWN tire is a dying craft...
Amen to that! Now it has to have a computer attached to it to mean anything to the "final generation."

I say that because sooner or later we will have to tell all the Millennials about the "work" done in achieving decent sex. I've got a twenty-spot here that says this pampered generation will march on Washington before they drop their pants...

Old 11-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #4

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I laughed when I learned that Japanese togishi craftsmen were a dying breed. Now I are one...
Why would a chef need one of your fancy ass knives? The patties come pre-formed straight from the McDonald's warehouse.
Chuck43, Jflytle and Shootinit like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #5

On the plus side they thin themselves out naturally.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 7.59.37 PM.png (232.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 8.16.30 PM.png (319.5 KB, 8 views)
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #6

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Why would a chef need one of your fancy ass knives?
Good question, it's one that I have asked myself for several decades.

I think a polished edge that cost the chef's owner a pretty penny was proof that this chef was a valued commodity. I used to walk out of the better places with +500 bucks in my always crappy jeans for about four hours work. Usually the bevels were still true so I just repaired dings and flattened sections.

But it did benefit the restaurant. Some of these chefs, even in Madison, had notoriety. If a meal was personally prepared by Chef Yon Upchuck, and that name had clout, you could count on several hundred dollars in food and tips per table with perhaps three turns per evening.

Did it pay? Well, the fancy-schmancy place where I polished these overpriced carving knives actually made a complete glass wall from floor to ceiling and wall to wall so the rich-folk could watch fireworks over Lake Monona without having to rub elbows with the human flotsam or get a raindrop on a European fitted suit.

The rich are not the same as you and me...