Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #1

Edge Pro Videos: Are they clueless?

Are they lazy?

Or am I a dummy?

Watch the videos with Corey. He puts the blade in one position, strokes the blade with the stone, and then cuts sheets of paper. It all seems so neat and easy.

But watching that nonsense just makes the red OCD lights flash in my brain. In MY mind, the angle of the guide rod changes as you rotate the guide around the pivot.

Straight out from the pivot, the angle that the stone contacts the blade is at its greatest. Move the guide rod left or right, and the contact angle becomes more acute. If you have a long blade and you sharpen it in this manner, the bevel will be uneven.

Edge Pro's latest video has Corey pitching another attachment that will allow you to hole the blade even MORE steady in one spot, thus exacerbating this error.

Take a look at the two attached screen-captures from his video. In my mind, the edge looks pretty crappy. Yes, I've done crappy work in the past, in the few years since The Tourist set me on the path of the righteous sharpener, my flaws are not so blatant. Corey is the song and dance man for the company. He should do better work.

Here's the whole video:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 4.28.48 PM.jpg (117.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 4.30.10 PM.jpg (80.9 KB, 5 views)

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #2

So Chico, what do YOU do?
I butt the ricasso up to the Edge Pro table, and start there. As I move the stone/guide-rod past the center-line of the table, I slowly pull the blade back, so my stone stays in the middle of the table. I'm not super-precise about this, but if I was upping my game, I'd pay closer attention. I never bring the stone past the table, out into space. If I'm mistaken on this, or if there's a better way, please set me straight.

Join the NRA
Old 11-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
Banned

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I butt the ricasso up to the Edge Pro table, and start there. As I move the stone/guide-rod past the center-line of the table, I slowly pull the blade back, so my stone stays in the middle of the table. I'm not super-precise about this, but if I was upping my game, I'd pay closer attention. I never bring the stone past the table, out into space. If I'm mistaken on this, or if there's a better way, please set me straight.
+1
Veronic23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #4

Well, I move the knife as little as possible.

Most of the knives I polish are common folders, say 3.5 to 4 inches long. If I can I keep the blade rigid and unmoving for the span of the edge. What little radius is created by the position of the stone is minimal and does not seem to make the edge wider or thinner in various spots.

Now, I will admit, that after +20 years of using the original Edge Pro I do use "body English." That is, I know when to use a light touch and when to be firmer, but I'm not sure I do this consciously.

There is one important faction to this. The stones will wear a long oval down the length of the stone. The moment you start polishing the oval begins to form.

I got a metal flattening plate from Ken Schwartz. It's a 3x9 inch size, allowing you to make asymmetrical passes with the stone to make it uniform.

DSC03004.JPG

Last edited by The Tourist; 11-20-2019 at 06:24 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #5

Thanks. I get the oval, and rub it out with a generic Norton flattening stone. Is Ken’s stone better than SiC on glass?

One more thing... It seems the grind varies on most knives along the length, which can result in a wide bevel near the tip. It's ugly. What's the best way to keep it pretty?

Join the NRA
Old 11-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

Is Ken’s stone better than SiC on glass?
I think it is. For one thing, it never wears out. I always put three large 'XXX' on the middle of the stone with a regular Number 2 pencil. Then I just rub it on the flattening device gently. You'll actually see the oval form. You will get the stone flat, but you'll do it by saving the stone's material.

One more thing... It seems the grind varies on most knives along the length, which can result in a wide bevel near the tip. It's ugly. What's the best way to keep it pretty?
Take a magic marker and ink both sides of the bevel completely. Set the arm way up so the stone just kisses the edge. Then rotate the tip up on one side and the ricasso against the bottom of the other edge. "Walk the stone down" by changing the setting 'down' just a little bit at a time. You'll also have to turn the tip farther up or slightly down.

During some adjustment you'll have about half of the bevel cleaned of the magic marker with an even polish. Set the stone at that height and with the tip in the upward position you have found and just polish normally.

BTW, some tips--like on a kabar--have to be done separately from the edge. The tip on the kabar was made very sturdy.

Click on picture to enlarge.

DSC03006.JPG

Last edited by The Tourist; 11-20-2019 at 10:34 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #7

Old 11-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #8

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
BTW, some tips--like on a kabar--have to be done separately from the edge.
Thanks. I'll play with that idea.
That's a pretty edge with the king of clubs.

Join the NRA
Old 11-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #9

That's a pretty edge with the king of clubs.
I like looking at those edges, myself. However, that's not why we are polishing the bevels.

If the decorative edge is polished it also means that the "edge of the edge" is also keen. Admittedly there are going to knives left a tad toothy depending on the needs of the knife.

My EDC jackknives are polished for chores. I might need to cut a simple piece of string or I might have use the knife for jobs requiring a razor blade. That's what an EDC knife is for, the jobs that pop up without warning.
RustyIron likes this.