• 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By JC45
  • 1 Post By 427malibu
  • 3 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By MoSimpleman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #1

New diamond matrix stones

A couple of my knives are a bit of a challenge to sharpen, and one in particular is a bear. These newfangled high-zoot steels are great for edge retention and wear resistance, but these same qualities make it more difficult to put nice edges on them.

The most troublesome is some stuff called Maxamet. It's got a lot of vanadium, tungsten, and other alloys that give it super durability. I could put a pretty good edge on it, but not good enough that you'd using for your most delicate manscaping tasks.

So I asked around, and there's a gent who is making precision diamond matrix stones for Edgepro, and everyone seems to love them. I'd tried everything else, so I through down for four of these, and they arrived yesterday.

In a nutshell, they easily cut through challenging materials, they don't exhibit some of the chipping I'd experienced with diamond plates, there is good tactile feedback, and the resulting edge puts a big smile on my face. The resulting edges I'm getting are among the best I've ever done.

Here's a quick shot that I took just to give an idea what I'm getting. In the past, I haven't been getting any mirror effect on Maxamet. Now it's looking pretty good. And you do NOT want to accidentally touch the edge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DIAMONDMATRIX.jpeg (1.84 MB, 7 views)

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-06-2020, 08:04 AM   #2

Would you post the source for those stones?
WaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #3

Originally Posted by WaveGuy View Post
Would you post the source for those stones?
You bet.
Only available through Edgepro. The manufacturer does not sell direct.

https://www.edgeproinc.com/sharpenin...ng-stones-c11/

Join the NRA

Old 02-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #4

That's a nice edge! What grit did you finish with? Actually what 4 grits did you order?
MoSimpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #5

I ordered 650, 1100, 2300, and 4000. In retrospect I should have bagged the 250, as well, for profiling.

I'm a skinflint and thought I could get by with a cheap 400 diamond plate for setting everything straight. What I'm quickly learning is that coarse diamonds are really rough on edges, and especially those that are prone to chipping, like Maxamet. But I recommend the four that I got, and if your wallet supports it, then maybe the 250.

The 650 was fine for smoothing out the rough profiling, but the edge wasn't nearly finished. The 1100 got it better, but not good enough. I could have quit at 2300, because it was that good, but I spent good money on the 4k, so I used it. After finishing with the 4k, all I could do was exclaim, "WTF!"

Wow, That's Fantastic!

It's truly one of the better edges I've ever done, and it's on a blade that I could never make "impressive." The diamond matrix stones did equally well on an S110V blade, but this material has always been easier to work with.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
Old 02-07-2020, 03:41 AM   #6

That looks great, nice work.
RustyIron likes this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:05 AM   #7

That is a great edge. You are very good at what you do. How long did it take you to get were your at?
RustyIron likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #8

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
You are very good at what you do. How long did it take you to get were your at?
Thank you, Malibu.
I've been dabbling at this for 5-6 years, but the learning hasn't been linear. I started off listening to our forum's The Tourist (Chico) for guidance and looking at other people's work.

Here's how the past five years have gone...

Starting with cheap tools, learning some stuff.
Buying cheap stones, learning some stuff.
Buying expensive stones, learning some stuff.
Buying expensive tools, learning some stuff.
Buying more stones, learning more stuff.

Knives are not unlike guns, in that as a newby, you get something, work with it, try other things, and eventually learn what you like. Now, almost every time I sharpen a knife, I learn things can come up with ideas for the next time I sharpen. I'm glad it's that way. When there is nothing left to learn, I tend to grow bored and move on to other things.
Chuck43, Jflytle and 427malibu like this.

Join the NRA
Old 02-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #9

I have always been adequate at best at knife sharpening but I've got by. I have started dabbling in knife making and would love to learn more and get better. Looks like you're well on your way! Nice work!
RustyIron and Jflytle like this.
MoSimpleman is offline   Reply With Quote