Any real benefit? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

Any real benefit?

As some of you know, I bought a couple of Cold Steel Bush Rangers for doing the more serious chores. Even new, there are some spots--like right on the curve--where the edge is not sharp at all.

Admittedly, I bought two of them because they are cheap.

Now, I've had some really cheap, horrid alloy knives that just wouldn't take an edge, or even refinement. I'm wondering if I bought the same type of trouble here.

My guess is that the factory edge is +20 degrees. The factory probably knows better than I do in choosing a steeper angle.

Should I try to refine the edge, or just use it until it's totally dull and make my own edge?
Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #2

As I've gotten older my purchasing habits have changed. Instead of buying a bunch of "cheap" anything I'd rather save up and buy something of real quality even though it's expensive. The cheap junk will end up in the trash in short order where the really good stuff becomes an heirloom to pass down. Like after I croak my kids won't have to sort through a bunch of crap; they'll just come across that one really nice possession and cherish it for the rest of their lives. Plus all the time I save by not throwing good money and time on a piece of crap. Kind a like putting lipstick on a pig.
But that's just me.
Jflytle, Doons and Oklahomabound like this.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #3

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Should I try to refine the edge, or just use it until it's totally dull and make my own edge?
You're the knife expert, why are you asking us?
2sharp2 and Cucamonga kid like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #4

The OP indicates Cold Steel Bush Ranger. When you say cheap I'm guessing you mean Bush Ranger Lite with cheap 8Cr13MoV Chinese-made steel that sells for $25? The Bush Ranger has CPM-S35VN steel and G10 grips with an MSRP of over $200.

20 degrees is adequate for pocket knife use. Maintain the edge.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
You're the knife expert, why are you asking us?
I haven't seen every knife or every alloy. In fact, sometimes I flip onto a knife page and find a bunch of the alphabet which is actually the latest, greatest folder. Advances are coming faster and faster.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #6

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
I'm guessing you mean Bush Ranger Lite...20 degrees is adequate for pocket knife use. Maintain the edge.
Yes, I meant the Lite model. I'm not that familiar with some of the newer nomenclature, and I'd like to keep from destroying a knife by not doing my homework.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #7

I don't do cheap knives any more either...
...also don't know the various steel alphabet combinations either...
...but I do know that my Zero Tolerance 0609 is a Factory Custom collaboration from RJ Martin and Matt Martin. It offers a clean, detailed titanium handle with grip-enhancing machining and a bronze anodized finish. The 0609 is equipped with a CPM-20CV steel blade in a two-tone finish with satin grinds and stonewashed flats. ...and yes, it is a working knife...
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Oklahomabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
As I've gotten older my purchasing habits have changed. Instead of buying a bunch of "cheap" anything I'd rather save up and buy something of real quality even though it's expensive. The cheap junk will end up in the trash in short order where the really good stuff becomes an heirloom to pass down. Like after I croak my kids won't have to sort through a bunch of crap; they'll just come across that one really nice possession and cherish it for the rest of their lives. Plus all the time I save by not throwing good money and time on a piece of crap. Kind a like putting lipstick on a pig.
But that's just me.
I believe I shot that pig... I wondered where it came from... would of never guessed Big Sky country.... tasted like chicken
Sig Nightmare is in the mail

Remember, tomorrow is promised to no one. - Walter Payton

Last edited by Doons; 02-22-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:27 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Doons View Post
I believe I shot that pig... I wondered where it came from... would of never guesses Big Sky country.... tasted like chicken
Ya, I'll bet we've all bought something and later wished we went for a higher end version later for one reason or another. I've also wound up buying things that wound up being way more than I needed or "too nice". Hard to tell till you wind up putting a tool into service?
I'll guess it was around '93 my sister bought a POS winter rat Mazda. She's a darling girl but not the sharpest crayon in the box! Thankfully she's good looking :-) Anyways the brakes on the Mazda were toast and I had or better stated WAS volunteered to get things in working order :-( The car had set behind a barn in CNY for a few years and the O rings in the brake cylinders were gone. I needed to rebuild the cylinders, remember the $12.00 or so kits you could buy, no sensors or ABS back then :-) Anyways I needed a drill to hone out the cylinder and bought the CHEAPEST Black and Decker there was. It cost about $14.95 or so!!! That cheapo drill worked just fine for the job and she at least could solidly stop her new ride. That drill still works!!! It's drilled more pilot holes than I can count since then. Not too long ago I needed to put an anchor in my daughters bedroom wall and noticed the cord was pulling out of the chassis of that old cheap drill. I couldn't help but feeling a little sad...
Hey, I got my $14.95 or so's worth out of that little Black and Decker right :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:28 AM   #10

I would be good at the 20-22 degree range for a working edge. This steel is similar to AUS-8 and 440B/C, so not going to take a beating but will hold a reasonable edge.
Chuck43 likes this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote