• 2 Post By Jflytle
  • 5 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By Jflytle
  • 4 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By Cucamonga kid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2020, 10:18 PM   #1

Newfangled Steel: Recipes and Content

This afternoon Chico and I were chatting about knives and sharpening and steel. The subject of alloys came up, along with the lack of information on some materials.

My favorite resource for information on alloys is Syderco's web page. It's really good for comparing the content of different steels.

https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/steel-chart/

The other resource I use is an iPhone app called "Knife Steel Chart." It has a LOT more information, but it's not as easy to read.

To me these help me learn about the characteristics that different alloys bring to the table. Not everything can be learned from viewing the recipe, but it's a starting point.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-29-2020, 05:15 AM   #2

Whoa, there's quite a selection choose from. I didn't realize so many were out there! It does bring a question to mind though, and that's barrels??? I know blades typically have a stamp that identifies the hardness and maybe type of metal. Are such a large variety of alloys used for barrels too? They don't seem to be marked like blades are??? Why not??? Just curious...
Chuck43, Supertool and wayne like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:07 AM   #3

Here is the list that I watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials
Chuck43 and cousinmark like this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #4

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
They don't seem to be marked like blades are??? Why not??? Just curious...
Never even occurred to me to think about gun material. Generally I break it down into steel, stainless, and plastic. It must not be a big thing, otherwise we'd be seeing all the gun ads touting their newest guns made of whiz-bang space age material.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #5

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
otherwise we'd be seeing all the gun ads touting their newest guns made of whiz-bang space age material.
There was the one 1911 maker who claimed he made a frame/slide from Meteorite. Now that's true "space age" material.
cousinmark and wayne like this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Pennsylvania's Cabot Guns, which specializes in limited edition versions of the iconic .45 caliber Colt 1911 used by the U.S. Armed Forces from 1911-1986, has produced a custom pair of the pistols crafted from a meteorite that is several billion years old.

The incredibly unique firearms were made from a rare fragment of the Gibeon meteorite which fell to Earth and crashed into present-day Namibia about 4.5 billion years ago and was discovered in the 1830s.

Called the Big Bang Pistol Set, the precious pistols were created using X-rays, 3-D modeling, electron-beam welding, and EDM wire cutting. Cabot set the price at $4.5 million, which would make them the most expensive guns in history if someone actually ponied up the cash.

They were also acid-etched to bring forward the meteorite’s crystalline pattern with the "bark", aka the outer surface of space rock, was left unfettered on the trigger.

Jflytle, cousinmark, wayne and 1 others like this.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #7

Yup Cabot makes some NIIIIIIICE pistols. They're beautiful and supposedly function like a Swiss watch but when the tag is going to be over 5k they're going to have to be just for looking at and not owning :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The incredibly unique firearms were made from a rare fragment of the Gibeon meteorite which fell to Earth and crashed into present-day Namibia about 4.5 billion years ago and was discovered in the 1830s.
When I was in high school they told me the earth was only 1.5 million years old.
It doesn't seem that long ago.
motormac likes this.