• 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 3 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 2 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By If1Hitu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 10:14 PM   #1

Making the edge just a little nicer

Knife sharpening is like anything else, once you reach a certain point, you want to do better. It's like shooting 1" groups, and then deciding you need 1/2" groups.

My edges have been consistently very nice, but not perfect. I've always flattened stones on a flattening stone, and it's worked ok. It's time consuming, and my stones become reasonably flat before I get tired of the process.

I concluded that to create better edges, I needed to make sure my stones were flattened more precisely. I didn't now exactly what to get, so I just ordered a kit from EdgePro. It came with a circular glass plate, a rubber dam, and a bag of silicon carbide powder. I also got a bag of aluminum oxide powder for stones with special requirements.

As soon as it arrived in the mail, I had to try it out. I was amazed. It's quick, it makes the stones as flat as I can imagine, and the unexpected benefit is that it breaks the glaze. Stones that I never liked from the factory are now a pleasure to use.

It was so exciting to use that I flattened every good stone I own, probably 15-20. Now, edges that previously exhibited phenomena I didn't understand now look perfect to my eye.

For less than the price of ONE stone, you can buy this kit and improve the performance of ALL your stones. Attached is a picture of the kit as shown on the web page, and a picture of a new knife that I took a few minutes to improve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acc_stone-leveling-kit_alt1_lg.jpg (49.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Photo on 3-4-20 at 6.48 PM.jpg (57.0 KB, 6 views)
Chuck43, Jflytle, JC45 and 4 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2020, 04:15 AM   #2

That’s a good looking edge. Nice work.
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.

Last edited by JC45; 03-07-2020 at 09:55 AM.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:18 AM   #3

Very nice work, 'Iron.' It's nice to know there's a credible craftsman around so I can take more naps...
Chuck43, RustyIron and wayne like this.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #4

No worries, mate. Your customers wouldn't want me. You've spoiled them. They'd come back to you with tales of that bigheaded mongrel who only works when he feels inspired, which probably won't be this month, and he never returns calls, charges triple, and the edges aren't as nice. You're safe for now.
Chuck43 and wayne like this.

Join the NRA
Old 03-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #5

'Iron, in a month or so I will turn 70 years of age. As is the custom of the men in my family, we do not seem to age over 55 years--and we still have to have our hair thinned by the barber. There is a downside, however.

I called the "woman who got away" a few weeks ago and was startled to find out that she had turned 70 years old, as well!

As a younger man I once read a novel where the hero made a deal with some scientist so he never aged, but then had to watch all his friends and family wither around him. I see guys at the gym who are 62 or so and they are bent and white and stumble across a straight floor.

There used to be +45 members in my MC. The last count was six.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #6

While I'll admit that 70 years makes you ancient, you and I might look the same age as my nearly white hair makes me appear older. But on the bright side, chicks tell me they love the color of my hair. That's a good thing. Coloring seems like a hassle.

So today I rode with a couple that I've been riding with for over a decade. Back then we were weak, unskilled, and our bikes were pretty lame. Today, we're stronger and more talented than the overwhelming majority of riders half our age, and our bikes are spectacularly cool. So it almost seems that we're getting YOUNGER.

Normal people don't even consider riding this way, and most who try, can't.
Chuck43, cousinmark and wayne like this.

Join the NRA
Old 03-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #7

...called "the woman who got away" ha???

Let's hope "the woman you married" doesn't read the KT knife section dude. You may be fit but you're pretty much a sitting duck while you're enjoying one of those naps :-)
wayne likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #8

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Let's hope "the woman you married" doesn't read the KT knife section dude.
I have known my wife since she was a teenager. The nice thing about an association that has lasted this long is that we have no secrets. Now, I do not wave my peccadillos in her face, but we all have pasts because we are human. I am right where God has placed me.
cousinmark and Bigdog like this.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #9

Nice look edge.
RustyIron likes this.

Yes I am a Democrat,that love his guns!
If1Hitu is offline   Reply With Quote