Gerber Myth (Fixed Blade) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

Gerber Myth (Fixed Blade)

I opened the Myth fixed blade this morning and got ready to prepare it as a demo. That work is unneeded.

Right now, I would slip this knife into the sheath and head to Sturgis. It is strong, well made, ergo, comes with a bullet-proof sheath and is toasty sharp right out of the package!

If I had to criticize anything--and this is a stretch--it's that the tip of the tip is not as "needlelike" as I'd like to see. Oh, it will pierce, just not easy enough to make me leer.

It comes with a razor crisp, amazingly uniform, toothy factory edge I would peg at 3000 to 5000 grit. Don't let that dissuade you, it easily sliced the side of a piece of newsprint with just the weight of the blade.

It has a great finger choil designed into the ricasso to allow you to choke up for close work, like caping. The back of the blade has rounded, yet functioning jimping to keep wet slippery hands off the blade. There is even a small protuberance at the base of the handle for tapping and crushing, as in making tinder.

I bought mine for 31 dollars, and it's a steal. Gerber really kicked up the quality with this new Myth series, which is an adjunct to the Freescape models which are already difficult to keep in stock.

If you spend time outdoors I can see the need for both. The Myth series will serve campers, hunters and wilderness hikers. The Freescape models are already serving clients who do their own food-prep, butchering and one guy with a taste for smoked meats. LOL

My two Myth demos will complement each other. The fixed blade with its toothy edge will do any chore I throw at it, and the polished folder will make a great outdoor paring knife.

001.JPG
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #2

Morning tourist, Definitely looks like a working mans knife, you might say it looks like it would get the job done!
What does Gerber use for steel. Is it a high carbon stainless?

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

Originally Posted by southwestca View Post
Is it a high carbon stainless?
Yes it is. While Blue Ridge Knives does not name the blend by name, it sharpens and polishes like a hard 440C. There must be ample chrome and/or vanadium in the knife to get the shine I obtained on the folder.

That's not a bad thing. Lots of purists choose ESEE knives because they are carbon steel. They do take a nice edge, can be easily sharpened in the field and they will spark off a ferro rod.

They also tarnish and corrode, and not every guy is into maintenance. A little chrome in an outdoor working knife is a good thing.

BTW, there is a "Myth Axe." I do not have one yet, but I have the stones to polish axes...(tee-hee)
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #4

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I

The fixed blade with its toothy edge will do any chore I throw at it, and the polished folder will make a great outdoor paring knife.

Attachment 8301

Ya got it half ass backwards. Throw the knife at the chores!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

Thank you

Yes it is. While Blue Ridge Knives does not name the blend by name, it sharpens and polishes like a hard 440C. There must be ample chrome and/or vanadium in the knife to get the shine I obtained on the folder.
That's not a bad thing. Lots of purists choose ESEE knives because they are carbon steel. They do take a nice edge, can be easily sharpened in the field and they will spark off a ferro rod.

They also tarnish and corrode, and not every guy is into maintenance. A little chrome in an outdoor working knife is a good thing.

BTW, there is a "Myth Axe." I do not have one yet, but I have the stones to polish axes...(tee-hee)
Tourist, Good info I like learning about knives. I own a few. I am just now trying to teach myself how to put a good edge on a hunting knife or pocket knife, without destroying the original profile.
Chuck43 likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #6

The folder is $19 on Amazon Prime. I'm not in the mood to buy it today, but I added it to my list.
Chuck43 likes this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:51 AM   #7

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
The folder is $19 on Amazon Prime. I'm not in the mood to buy it today, but I added it to my list.
I paid the same. But I'm amazed on how the edge turned out.

For example, you really have to have your poop in one sock to polish a knife capable of preparing sushi. Yet with a polished edge you'd be stunned on just how good these new Gerbers have become.

One of my first Freescape clients bought the "kit." She makes treats for her co-workers at Barnes & Noble. She has the complete set, the santoku, the paring knife and the folder. She claims that no matter what they ask her to make, she has the knife to complete the job.

She did a complete meal once with just the folder.

Personally, I think the blade geometry of this new Myth folder makes it a better fish knife than the designers had planned or even guessed.
Chuck43 and patton53 like this.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #8

Staying home this morning I decided to take an early lunch--and what better excuse than to use my new Gerber for food prep!

As you know I am very impressed with the new Gerber lines of Freescape and Myth knives. The latest fixed blade came razor sharp right out of the package. Mine will be used primarily for food on the road, and I wanted to try it out.

The edge has not been touched up.

Below is a Subway sandwich. All of the slices were made by a single pass backwards pull. One slice. It cuts everything in an easy pass.

002.JPG
Chuck43, bhunted and patton53 like this.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
Banned

That's a lot of knife to cut a sandwich.

When I cut a sandwich, and I want it to stay seriously cut, I get out the man machine. 32inch bar, skip tooth chain, helmet, goggles, chaps, etc.

Last edited by montanaResident; 09-12-2015 at 10:13 AM.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #10

Staying home this morning I decided to take an early lunch--and what better excuse than to use my new Gerber for food prep!

As you know I am very impressed with the new Gerber lines of Freescape and Myth knives. The latest fixed blade came razor sharp right out of the package. Mine will be used primarily for food on the road, and I wanted to try it out.

The edge has not been touched up.

Below is a Subway sandwich. All of the slices were made by a single pass backwards pull. One slice. It cuts everything in an easy pass.
Wait, wait! How were you able to purchase a Subway sandwich at 5:00 AM? That's the time you posted the photograph . . .

Search tags for this page

knife forum gerber fixed blade myth

Click on a term to search for related topics.