Like Tree17Likes
  • 7 Post By Jflytle
  • 4 Post By Oklahomabound
  • 4 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By Jflytle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #1

Just a little Saturday Sharpening

I thought I would throw some result pictures up here, since its been a bit quiet on this sub-forum.

I rotate my Daily carry knife every week, usually swapping out on Saturday. That way if the blade needs a touch up, I can work the edge while drinking my coffee. I grabbed this Benchmade Osborne folder (M390 steel) and the lead edge was not as good as I would like, so out come the stones. Nothing fancy, I took it to 1500g and then stropped at 3m on an old piece of saddle leather.

The CRKT fixed blade I have known for some time needed work, so while everything was out, why not, and the house was quiet. I spent some time evening out the bevel on the tip, and then the same as before, 1500g and strop to 3m.

Both blades on now consistent tip-to-tail and they look good.

So, what are you sharpening lately? Any new blades to show-off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BM Osborne M390 21Nov2020.jpg (2.24 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg CRKT Fixed 21Nov2020.jpg (2.34 MB, 7 views)
Chuck43, bhunted, 46QJI and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Jflytle; 11-21-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #2

...my ZT 0690...

Oklahomabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Jflytle View Post
So, what are you sharpening lately? Any new blades to show-off?
Sounds like fun. How do you like the Osborne with the M390? It looks like an identical recipe to CPM 20CV, which folks really like for its edge retention and corrosion resistance.

A couple weeks ago my knife project was a lightweight Spyderco REX 45. I think the steel is the shizz, and the Manix 2 LW is my favorite design. You'd think I'd be like a pig in slop, but I was rather disgruntled. The blade didn't drop to my liking, and I'd rather have a lighter spring. Since the handle is riveted, there are no easy solutions. After much consideration, I decided to drill out the rivets, see what was inside, change it, then rivet it back together. The knife came out better than I expected. Since completing the project, I've carried nothing else. Now I AM the happy pig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9770.jpeg (273.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9778.jpeg (368.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9794.jpeg (443.2 KB, 4 views)
Chuck43, 46QJI, Jflytle and 1 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #4

How hard is it to sharpen a recurve blade like the one on the zero tolerance. And what would you use to sharpen it. Thanks.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
How hard is it to sharpen a recurve blade like the one on the zero tolerance. And what would you use to sharpen it. Thanks.
I donít think the stones change, just the shape of the stone. Instead of a flat stone, you need a set that are rounded. The progressions will be the same, though somewhat dependent on the steel involved.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #6

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Sounds like fun. How do you like the Osborne with the M390? It looks like an identical recipe to CPM 20CV, which folks really like for its edge retention and corrosion resistance.

A couple weeks ago my knife project was a lightweight Spyderco REX 45. I think the steel is the shizz, and the Manix 2 LW is my favorite design. You'd think I'd be like a pig in slop, but I was rather disgruntled. The blade didn't drop to my liking, and I'd rather have a lighter spring. Since the handle is riveted, there are no easy solutions. After much consideration, I decided to drill out the rivets, see what was inside, change it, then rivet it back together. The knife came out better than I expected. Since completing the project, I've carried nothing else. Now I AM the happy pig.
I like the Osborne design, and Benchmade just released the Osborne Mini in S30V, I believe. I have a few folders in M390 and a Zero Tolerance variants in CTS-204P and Elmax, all roughly the equivalent to M390 and CPM-20V.

I do not have any REX steel knives, and I think Spyderco is the main proponent of that steel. Which may be why I do not have any. My arthritic hands need the convenience of a flipper, or at least a thumb stud.
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.