Newtown, Mass. Law Suit - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Classifieds > Miscellaneous

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Newtown, Mass. Law Suit

It appears the families of the victims of the Newtown, Mass. school shooting have filed a law suit , (wrongful Death), against the makers of the rifle Adam Lanza used in that incident. Bushmaster has been named as a defendant with the idea they were some how responsible for Lanza stealing the particular weapon from his mothers home, after he shot her, and taking it to the school.
I think this is one of the most ridiculous concepts yet. I know similar suits have been tried before and they have failed. But this incident is unique in many ways. First and worst is it is an issue with the Obama regime. They really thought they were going to be able to make a full fledged gun grab after that shooting. It didn't come to pass, but it did put the incident at the forefront of the Obama media for the past couple years. I think, in this case, not only will there ever be a completely unbiased jury, but, should some liberal, anti-gun judge accept the suit, the media will have the trial and conviction long before the first day.
I believe is one follows the money, it will ultimately run right back the 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

Maybe next they will sue the shrink that prescribed the medication that he wasn't taking as prescribed...
Better yet, sue the makers of the glass window that he shattered to enter the school..
Grasping at straws...IMO
Oreste, Richard, bhunted and 1 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
Super Moderator

If a case like this is allowed to proceed then how long will it be until we see Budweiser and Ford charged in court along with the drunk that got in an accident and killed someone?

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #4

Wow....I really don't know what to say other than this: If it had been my child that was killed in that incident I'd be absolutely devastated, as any normal human being would be. I would surely want answers and want them right friggin now. I'd want to know how this nutball got the gun in the first place (I know, just sayin), why no one institutionalized his sorry ass, why no one said anything because I know darn good and well he was showing signs of nutballishness before this incident, he had to, and why no one stopped him.
I would have zero questions for Bushmaster. I being of sound mind and body know that guns don't shoot unless the trigger is pulled.
Jeez these people amaze me. And don't get me wrong I feel for them, I really do. As I said I'd be devastated, but I know that some jackhole lawyer talked these parents in to going after Bushmaster, I know it.
Sad, sad, sad....all around.

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory"
General George S. Patton Jr.
ByrdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

The only way Bushmaster could be pulled into court is if their product was inherently defective, this defect somehow caused the shooting to occur, or that the company was negligent in their product design/function.

Since the firearm functioned exactly as it was designed to, there is no reason for them to be in court. If the parents just HAVE to sue someone, the psychologist/psychiatrist that was treating this imbalanced kid should be the target. Surely they have the training, education, and experience to recognize when a person is about to fall over the edge.

As Chuck said, who do you sue for a drunk driving death?
Lineman and Richard like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

The plaintiffs are trying to spin it in a way to convince the judge that Bushmaster was negligent by making military style weapons for the public.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #7

That makes perfect sense. A pistol grip and a detachable magazine might cause any nutjob to slip over the edge, especially if said nutjob was frequently assisted and instructed in their use by the nutjobs mother.
ByrdMan likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #8

We need to keep this in perspective. It's all about money. It's no different than a serious automobile accident. The tort lawyers will sue everybody they conceivably can, and hope to either win a large jury award because it is a case that tugs at the heartstrings, or will win a big out-of-court settlement because the defendants don't want to spend a lot of time and money fighting a lawsuit through a trial.

Nobody can prevent themselves from being sued, but they can prevent themselves from losing a case. In this instance, not only is Bushmaster being sued, but so is the distributor and the retailer: "Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder, the law firm that is representing the families, announced Monday that it has filed suit against Camfour, a gun distributor, and Riverview Gun Sales, as well as the Freedom Group, the company that owns Bushmaster." Sandy Hook families sue Bushmaster - Dec. 15, 2014

What are the odds that the smaller companies will be able to successfully fight off the suit? Their product liability insurance companies will probably settle, and the companies will file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. They will probably be able to reopen under new corporate charters and different names. This is nothing new. It happens every day in America.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #9

The Sandy Hook Families' Lawsuit Against Bushmaster Will Fail. Here's Why. - Bearing Arms

One correction to the article that I would point out is that the US Army was manufacturing substantial quantities of 5.56mm Ball Powder in 1966, 1967 and 1968. If the M16A1 had not, yet, been adopted as an official US military firearm, where was that powder going?

Marshall likes this.

Last edited by Richard; 12-15-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:29 AM   #10

There is only one target that would have been the only target. If he had not killed his mother, she would be in the mainstream and the main reason and possibly the doctors would follow... Like ya'll said. It's a get even thing to have something/someone accountable...

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote