I was wrong, there is a fighting knife... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Classifieds > Miscellaneous

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #1

I was wrong, there is a fighting knife...

I think a guy should admit when he's wrong. For the past twenty years I have preached that tactical knives are a waste of steel and black paint. I was in error!

If you are a student of history, you will know that the Spartans and the Romans perfected swords that were superior in killing. With the Grecian xiphos and the Roman gladius the ancients created a superior, portable, and deadly sidearm for their armies.

It was based on the premise that you could kill faster and cleaner with a thrust than a slash. So efficient was this type of weapon that the sand of the Roman Coliseum was often dyed red to keep the spectators from being sickened by the massive amounts of blood. Like video gamers, the Roman citizens enjoyed the suffering of others as long as they themselves didn't have to get all gooey...

Well, enter good ol' American innovation and entrepreneurial savvy. I am told that no less than a real doctor validated that very Roman concept and helped design the best knife for killing people.

It's called the US Gladius Thraex. Now, I know this is the real thing, because I cannot find a single YouTube video on the knife. Since the Gladius is actually designed for real killing, it appears the fanboys don't like it.

I would hurry up and buy one before ISIS back-orders the entire ridiculous production...

US Gladius | Thraex | Tactical Knives
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #2

That's a lot of knife or a little sword.

For American style I think I'd rather have a Bowie Knife.

Note in the movie Spartacus (yeah, I know it's only a movie) the gladiatorial instructor used different color paint to identify killing and crippling zones of the body. Maybe it matters more where you poke than what you poke with.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #3

'Gator, you are quite right.

H.L. Mencken is credited with the famous quote “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.” And it appears that demographic has a new play-toy.

As for Bowie knives, that's another pet peeve. You can actually get "professional training" in riverboat fighting. Make sure you sign up fast before the classes are all full...

Comtech Bowie Knife Training at Alliance Martial Arts

Old 02-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #4

LOL, now all I need is a river boat. They are scarce around here.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
LOL, now all I need is a river boat. They are scarce around here.
Well, if we're going to talk about knives during the upcoming weeks one of the things we need to do is separate fact from fiction. And sadly the cutlery industry is rife with charlatans.

Much as the Navy SEALs do in exposing frauds, there is a martial arts site called bullshido.com that outs guys without credentials. One of the guys they exposed is a writer for Tactical Knife Magazine.

I love good cutlery, the art of sharpening, and the way any good tool enhances wood working, cooking, and performance on the job. But I have absolutely no patience for the duelers who bastardize my industry.

Look at the parallel here. We all are looking to refine our defensive tools for safety and security. But if a wannabee mercenary signed up here and posted nothing but killing scenarios replete with "exploding melon" jargon my guess is that Chuck would ban him by the end of the week.

This got so bad over at The High Road that their moderators implemented strict criteria in professing TEOTWAWKI discussions.

As you all know, right beside my computer is the best folder ever made, the Medford Praetorian. My fear is that one day TK will discover the knife, and some poser will start slashing up jean jacket sleeves stuffed with kielbasa, as they are wont to do.

If you ever debate these guys--and want to see them freeze up solid--just ask them about the last knife fight they were in. *sound of crickets*
Old 02-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I thought you were kidding around about the riverboat fighting until I clicked the link. Fortunately I'm not going to post what was going through my mind at the time so I won't have to suspend myself.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #7

What a waste of kielbasa. Sad.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I thought you were kidding around about the riverboat fighting
No, sadly I was not. One of the reasons I'm always careful to give knife advice is that the cutlery world seems to attract "this element."

For example, while I use a togishi tools, I have no formal credentials in sword polishing. I find that easy to say. But for some unknown reason there is a segment in the cutlery world where everyone believes they have to be a mercenary, a hitman, or a former spec-ops guy.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are some good guys. I think Jerry Vancook is the best. He's both a magazine writer and an author, and he draws from his experience working with law enforcement.

I believe Michael Jannich is doing his best to get out good information. I'll admit he goes a tad overboard with the knife dueling scenarios, but he also is one of the first to state openly "good guys" should be carry a three to four inch blade as a tool. Then he shows posed photos with a stuntman...

Phil Elmore and James Keating should be working at Walmart.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I think a guy should admit when he's wrong. For the past twenty years I have preached that tactical knives are a waste of steel and black paint. I was in error!

If you are a student of history, you will know that the Spartans and the Romans perfected swords that were superior in killing. With the Grecian xiphos and the Roman gladius the ancients created a superior, portable, and deadly sidearm for their armies.

It was based on the premise that you could kill faster and cleaner with a thrust than a slash. So efficient was this type of weapon that the sand of the Roman Coliseum was often dyed red to keep the spectators from being sickened by the massive amounts of blood. Like video gamers, the Roman citizens enjoyed the suffering of others as long as they themselves didn't have to get all gooey...

Well, enter good ol' American innovation and entrepreneurial savvy. I am told that no less than a real doctor validated that very Roman concept and helped design the best knife for killing people.

It's called the US Gladius Thraex. Now, I know this is the real thing, because I cannot find a single YouTube video on the knife. Since the Gladius is actually designed for real killing, it appears the fanboys don't like it.

I would hurry up and buy one before ISIS back-orders the entire ridiculous production...

US Gladius | Thraex | Tactical Knives
That is a cool knife, I like it. I think in this day and time even if you had a US Gladius in a fight you would be in deep chit cause everyone else will have a gun!
Richard likes this.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #10

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
That is a cool knife, I like it.
I won't argue the "cool factor," I know boys love toys. I like Sportsters with peanut tanks and Sicilian switchblade stilettos despite the fact that they are far from practical.

My position on knives like this is that marketing bilks fanboys +200 bucks for a 30 dollar knife (more if the blade has been in a video game or YA movie) and then the thing gets stuffed in a closet.

I also sell ESEE products, and that cutlery company also sells survivalist arrow tips. When The Hunger Games came out I sold three of them to a local barista than actually looks like Jennifer Lawrence/Katniss.

In my opinion, the knives are worthless--but I still have some arrowheads left, in a little designer case. I'm not kidding.

Search tags for this page
bullshido phil elmore
u.s.gladius

us gladius thraex

usgladius knife
usgladius knives are based on the design of roman gladius
usgladius thraex
Click on a term to search for related topics.