Warrior Question - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum News > New Member Introduction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #1

Warrior Question

Hello everyone.
I just purchased a new warrior and have put 175 rounds through it so far. I know that Kimber recommends at least a 500 round break in period. I have cleaned and lubed the pistol per Kimber directions. With some additional lube. After shooting 175 rounds I cleaned the pistol again and noticed that the kimco finish is starting to come off from the slide rails. I was wondering if this was normal. I ask because on the kimber page it states that " The Kimco finish is self lubricating. " When I lubed the pistol up the first time, I did place more than enough oil on the slides. I put two drops at the end of the rails and let it run down the length to the slide. I also put oil on the frame rails. I used FP-10. The other problem that I has with the pistol was failure to feed. This would only happen for the first round that I was trying to chamber. Most times I would have to give it a little push to finish the job. Other times I had to take the magazine out try again. This does not happen after the first wound in a fresh magazine. I am using the magazine that came with the Warrior and 6 other Wilson magazines. Some 8 round and 7 round magazines. I never use the slide release. I always pull slide back and let it fly. If I load the magazines with one less bullet it seams to work fine. I am using CCI 230Gr FMJ. Does anyone know if this will straighten out after the 500 rounds?. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to be as thorough as I could. Thanks in advance.
kammphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. congrats on your new Warrior I would call Kimbers customer service and ask them about the finish. there have been a few members that have complained about the Kimco finish not holding up.
bigdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois kammphoto and congratulations on the new Warrior. I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with the KimPro II frame finish, unfortunately the finish is the one weak spot on Kimbers. If you contact Kimbers customer service they will make it right but I'd wait until you've finished with the break in procedure. The other problem (FTF) you're experiencing should clear up but in the event you're not completely satisfied with it you can have both issues dealt with at the same time.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

I thank both of you for the fast response. I will wait until I have the recommended shot count before I call Kimber. The finish I am not overly concerned about but I do hope that the FTF does straighten out. It is a fine shooter. I do have another question. Before I go out and buy some defense ammo do you have any knowledge of what will shoot in this pistol? I have some old Winchester black talon ammo that I will try in it the next time I go out but I would like your thoughts. Thanks again
kammphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

Hornady critical defense is my choice.
bigdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Super Moderator

You will find that you gun may not like certain brands of popular hollow points, it's not unusual to have 2 of the same model Kimbers not liking the same hollow point design. I'd wait to finish breaking in the gun with 230 gr. FMJ ball ammo before I started test shooting the more expensive defensive ammo. For what it's worth my Super Carry Pro likes Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T series ammo.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from Ohio! Kimber recommends 230 gr ball ammo during the break in period.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Welcome from Ohio.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #9

Welcome from Texas
slomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #10

Welcome to the site from Tennessee! You will just have to try different hollow point ammo to see what works in your Warrior.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finish, ftf, kimco, warrior