Another new Micro 380 owner - FL Heartland - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum News > New Member Introduction

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #1

Another new Micro 380 owner - FL Heartland

Hey all. For some reason it took a while to get signed in here as a member... took two tries and almost a week-long wait for the confirmation email. But here I am! And here's my story:

I picked up my Stainless Rosewood .380 a little over a month ago at a Rural King down here in beautiful central Florida. A friend of mine had one and he was raving about it and using it as his daily carry. Rural King had the little beauty on sale at a terrific price so I went for it. While my buddy's gun had run perfectly, mine did not. After cleaning, polishing the feed ramp and lubrication, I took it to the range only to be bitterly disappointed. Over a hundred rounds I had multiple failures to go into battery, one failure to eject and a whole string of failures to lock back on the last round. The only good thing about the session was that I found the pistol scary accurate thanks to the wonderful trigger.

Based on some things I read here on the forum I ordered a new Colt recoil spring from Brownell's but before it came my buddy persuaded me to call Kimber customer service and Luke, the guy I talked to, persuaded me to send it in to get fixed. So after only four days in my possession, off it went to Yonkers.

I considered getting night sights installed while it was in for service and even made arrangements with Luke to have that done. But as weeks wore on I became pretty disgusted with the whole Kimber experience and after a month I canceled the sights intending to sell or trade the .380 once it came back.

A day after I finally asked about it, it was shipped from Yonkers. I have to say I was impressed with what they did: New recoil spring, guide rod and slide stop; reamed and polished the barrel chamber; refinished the barrel; adjusted the extractor. Looks like a gunsmith really went over the whole mechanism.

Immediately took it to the range and ran another 100 rounds through it with just two failures to lock back... which I think may have been due to my grip impeding the slide or slide lock. Another range session next week should confirm whether that's the case.

While it was gone I forgot what a beautiful piece this little Kimber is. So rather than immediately get rid of it, I think I'll give it some time and patience. It just might be the start of a beautiful friendship.

In the meantime, thanks to you all on this forum for the early guidance.
RustyIron, Markie and starnovi like this.
John316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois John316.
John316 likes this.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #3

Welcome to KT John, I hope things go better your next time out. Be sure to follow up with how things go. Good luck :-)
John316 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #4

John316, welcome from Northern Illinois. Did they put the new flat wire spring in? There's a reason Kimber is so popular, they take care of their customers.
John316 likes this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:01 AM   #5

Welcome from Central Mississippi.

Great screen name!!
John316 likes this.
Fmr18E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum from Ohio
John316 likes this.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Jflytle View Post
John316, welcome from Northern Illinois. Did they put the new flat wire spring in?
Yep. Flat wire recoil spring, new design guide rod and new slide stop. I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but the slide stop feels wider to me... looks to be the same width as the safety. No matter, it just feels comfortable for my thumb.
John316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

Hey John, Welcome to the forum from South Florida I'm sure things will get better with the newly worked on shooter. Just give it a little time and patience.
John316 likes this.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Welcome from Middle Tennessee!
John316 likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum from another Middle Tennessean. Sounds like they got things fixed for you. I am always wondering why they don't take a little longer to check one out. Sure would like to work for them and just shoot targets to see how the pistols perform before sending them out. Was down in the area south of Gainesville last week, visit there alot.
John316 likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote