New to Kimber - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum News > New Member Introduction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #1

New to Kimber

Hi all!

I am now a proud first time owner of both Kimber ... (kimber micro 9) and also new to a firearm that can actually be concealed.

I live in beautiful Oregon and am a conceal carry owner.
I have to admit I am not all that familiar with "guns". Meaning I do not know the lingo.. the manufacturers and am not a gun "nut" (I mean that in the most respect!).
I appreciate firearms and my second amendment.
I have a lot to learn and I love learning.

I own a few firearms.
A colt 22 M16, Barretta 90two (not 92) 9mm, a Taurus 1911 .45 and a 30-06 rifle.

A lot of gun owners may not understand why I got my CC permit.
I did this for a few reasons.
I could not get a straight answer from many police officers on how to bring my handguns with me legally as a NON CC person to places. I owned a ford ranger with no back seat and wondered which was the best way to store my handguns during transportation to stay compliant with the law.
I received many answers, ranging from "there must be 3 points of contact to grab the gun", "leave it in the case unloaded", "leave the ammo separated from the gun", and finally "as long as you can't reach it". Well with no back seat I can always reach it.
I personally did not like the feeling of upwards of 10 officers saying different answers.

Also I love to carry my 1911 .45 while hunting. However by law because it is under my jacket... it is concealed. I ask multiple officers if this is illegal without a permit and was told yes. You may ask why I would not open carry then?? I would say because my jacket up here in rainy, snowy Oregon would conceal it.
I just do not want to have to worry about it.

Also I figured get my CC before they take the right away from us.

I have a family and personally I am not someone that believes I will always have the "jump" on someone breaking in. But as I told my wife. I would rather have the ability to do something should the issue arise to do so. Those times that someone has the jump on you, it would be best to just give them what they want rather than think because I have a gun or am a CC holder that I will always have the upper hand. (I may not be explaining my feeling good enough but hopefully you get what I am saying)

I am learning though and am glad I found this forum for my new Kimber micro!
I hope to learn much more by reading and practicing!

If anyone has any advice I am all ears!....
Thanks for reading!
Jflytle and starnovi like this.
majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Again, welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you join us. This is one of the few forum where your questions will be accepted without criticism or suggestions to use the search button. I like to think of us as an over the top friendly forum. If you continue to participate here you'll see that many of us post as if we actually lived next door to each other, yeah it's really that kind of a place.
Marshall and swca like this.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #3

Welcome to KT from St Lou......Sometimes when you ask many people the same questions you can get many different answers and not really know the truth until looking it up for yourself.

I just glanced at your states firearm laws and no offense, but I'm thankful to live in a gun loving state.....

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/oregon/
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Welcome to KT from St Lou......Sometimes when you ask many people the same questions you can get many different answers and not really know the truth until looking it up for yourself.

I just glanced at your states firearm laws and no offense, but I'm thankful to live in a gun loving state.....

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/oregon/
Thank you.
See told you I'm learning. I would come across websites that say things and would not know what to believe. Also understanding exactly what they are saying is also a must. With the different officers saying different things and me maybe not fully understanding or worried about remembering the written law you just provided, along with the worry of an officer being plain wrong in what HE thinks...(and having to defend myself).. just made me think ... Get the concealment permit and it is really just easier!. With this I believe comes responsibility and it is in my court now to make sure I understand how to safely carry and/or transport.

I have a lot to learn, thank you again!
Marshall, starnovi and Elf1 like this.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #5

Ok so no stupid question right? lol this may be one...

On the site you provided:

It states (page 12)...
Is carrying of a Concealed Firearm with Permit/License
for Defensive Purposes Only While Hunting Legal?
YES
OR Dept of Fish and Wildlife
Hunting Resources

Is Permit/License they are asking a concealment permit/license or a hunting permit/license?

The only reason why I ask is because I am confused why the question is even there if they are talking about concealment permit/license... as if it "could" be illegal to conceal even if you have a CCP while hunting?? I would never think so. lol

::Edit:: I guess after thinking about this... maybe they are explaining... if you are concealing a weapon while hunting, do NOT use that concealed weapon for hunting. The concealed weapon must ONLY be used for self defense while holding a CC permit. (the confusion comes from me because how the hell would you conceal a rifle when elk hunting!!? lol)

Last edited by majik; 10-14-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #6

Originally Posted by majik View Post
Ok so no stupid question right? lol this may be one...

On the site you provided:

It states (page 12)...
Is carrying of a Concealed Firearm with Permit/License
for Defensive Purposes Only While Hunting Legal?
YES
OR Dept of Fish and Wildlife
Hunting Resources

Is Permit/License they are asking a concealment permit/license or a hunting permit/license?

The only reason why I ask is because I am confused why the question is even there if they are talking about concealment permit/license... as if it "could" be illegal to conceal even if you have a CCP while hunting?? I would never think so. lol

::Edit:: I guess after thinking about this... maybe they are explaining... if you are concealing a weapon while hunting, do NOT use that concealed weapon for hunting. The concealed weapon must ONLY be used for self defense while holding a CC permit. (the confusion comes from me because how the hell would you conceal a rifle when elk hunting!!? lol)
State laws vary from state to state and my advice would be to go to the place that you took your cc course at and talk to the instructor about any questions that you have.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #7

Welcome to the site from:

The CC law may be referring to carrying your pistol like if you were bow hunting or hunting with a muzzle loading black powder? That is probably against the wildlife game laws. IDK just a guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Welcome.jpg (3.98 MB, 2 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:21 AM   #8

Welcome from Northeast, Pa. Congratulations on your Micro 9.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum from southern cal. I know it is legal to carry a sidearm in California while hunting. California has an exemption and it is legal to conceal carry while legally fishing or hunting with licenses.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote