Kimber Talk Forums banner

New Member/New Kimber owner from GA

1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  2sharp2 
#1 ·
I have wanted a Kimber for what seems forever and finally pulled the trigger on a M9 SS with CT grips. Honestly I am a dipsh*t and should have read the manual or even checked this forum before my first outing. I ran 50 rounds of blazer brass FMJ 115 through it. Had at least 1 FTF each mag. I blame myself for being stupid though and not tearing it down and giving it a proper cleaning/lubing. After my outing I did make sure to break it down and give it a proper. I did notice a slight nick though on the feed ramp. Would you dremel and polish this out? I can snap a pic later if you need it to see what I am talking about. Also I have seen mixed reviews on folks who like to use heavier grain like 147 for 50-100 to break it in. I did buy some 124 but not 147 yet. Would the 124 work fine? I also went with some Sig and Winchester. I have never been much of a fan of BB but it was cheap and I figured lets see if it will run anything I throw at it like my springfield xd .40 does.

#2 ·
This just a suggestion but I would not be in a hurry to get the dremel out just yet until you have completed the proper break in. Things tend to smooth out during break in period.

#3 ·
I think Tom gave you some good advice, I'd hold off on the Dremel. Keep shooting the gun and if you feel the nick is causing a problem then give Kimbers customer service a call before doing anything. I'm a fan of using heavy loads to break in new guns, I've broken all my 9mm's with 147 gr. loads.

Reactions: 2sharp2 and swca
#5 ·
So with this being my first Kimber what exactly is a good break in time frame? And should I go ahead and get some 147 ? How many rounds are you thinking I should run through it to be considered broken in? I checked the manual and not really much info there. I see some on here say to rack the slide a couple hundred times.

#9 ·
Welcome from NC. Breaking in my wife's Sapphire Pro, we used 200 rds. of Fiocchi 147 gr. FMJ followed by 100 rds. of Federal 124 gr. FMJ. We ran it wet to start, as the tolerances are pretty tight. Will run another 100 124 gr. through it. In the meanwhile rack the slide a hundred or so times to help the slide/frame fit.

We only had one FTF at rd. 77; could have been user error. ;)

#12 ·
Welcome from a Middle Tennessean, go through GA a lot on my travels. I don't like the BB to shoot. My 45 loves anything but the other pistols are very particular in what they like.

#16 ·
Hey.

All the advice so far has been good. Not to pick on you, but I've seen people with smaller 9mm like the Micro 9 neglect to hold the firearm firmly enough. 9mm in a smaller pistol can be pretty snappy if you aren't used to it. That could lead to FTE and/or FTF issues.

Reactions: swca and cnutco
#17 ·
Hey.

All the advice so far has been good. Not to pick on you, but I've seen people with smaller 9mm like the Micro 9 neglect to hold the firearm firmly enough. 9mm in a smaller pistol can be pretty snappy if you aren't used to it. That could lead to FTE and/or FTF issues.
I actually thought the same thing at first that maybe I had limp wristed it a couple times. Always seemed like it was on the second round which seemed odd. Oh well I have it cleaned, lubed and ready now. I plan on running a couple hundred rounds next time out. Academy had their Remington 147 on sale so I got a couple boxes of it. It does appear the M9 has a somewhat steep feed ramp and the BB seems to have a longer nose on it than the Rem/Win/Sig ammo. Maybe its that my eyes are deceiving me.

#18 ·
Welcome from Tennessee. I'm like Chuck, I like to use the heavy grain bullets during break in but also never had a problem with the 115gr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.