Glock guy - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum News > New Member Introduction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #1

Glock guy

Hey guys like the new to the site. I’m a Glock guy having a bunch of them. I have a ria 1911 that I’m planning on trading in for a rapide. Once I saw the rapide. I fell in love and had to have it. My question is are kimber a finicky on what ammo they will run. In my ria I shoot everything out of it.
Sw150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum from Florida. This could get interesting.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Welcome to the Forum from Florida. This could get interesting.
I thought the same thing......

First, welcome to the KT forum.

Second, "no", Kimbers are not really fussy about ammo, as long as it's good ammo. My 8 Kimbers all run perfectly with any/all factory ammo, and my handloads too. They all go "bang" every time.

Just look at that Kimber Rapide, then one of your Glocks......the visual difference is astounding....one is truly ugly, the other is a thing of beauty (IMHO). I can say this; I own both.
Chuck43 and Wingnut like this.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

Why’s that. Is it because of the ria the glocks or rapide. After looking around a little it seems there is not much love for the rapide. Just looking for a kimber to shoot some competitions with. Is there a better choice after looking at there site they have a ton of different guns. Just trying to figure out what would be the best choice
Old 11-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Sw150 View Post
My question is are kimber a finicky on what ammo they will run. In my ria I shoot everything out of it.
My Kimber shoots anything I feed it, but I'm not suffering from the delusion that it possesses the reliability of the Glock if I was to try and make it fail.

It's good that you're trading in the Rocks. I had one from the early 90's that ran just fine. But after I got the Kimber, I realized that the Rock was rather crude, and could never again enjoy it. Out the door it went.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #6

For competition, look at a Kimber 5" in 9mm.

And if you really want it to be competitive, look at the models that are either optic ready, or optic installed (OI). When I went with their Aegis Elite Custom 9mm OI, it really opened my eyes to this new concept; fast accurate like never before.
Cucamonga kid and Wingnut like this.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #7

My Kimbers run like Swiss watches but both of mine do exhibit preferences for some ammo over others. Not a deal to me, part of the fun is finding out what shoots best in the gun.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

My latest Kimber is an Ultra Carry II, I know that because that's what it says on the pistol. It's got a three inch barrel and a semi-short grip. I sought out that model because CCW legislation was just about to pass in Wisconsin.

The conventional 'wisdom' of the time stated that the farther designers got away from the original pistol design the more stoppages the new model would produce. Then again, I never listen to anyone. I wanted that size, and if it took 1,000 rounds to break it in, sobeit.

I never had a lick of problems. As is/was my custom I broke it in on hardball, then hollowpoints that also had a round nose and a similar variation of a flat meplat, finished off with some super-duper gaping mega frontal openings.

It was worrying over nothing, that UC2 just didn't know how to "jam."
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
Super Moderator

After following the instructions in the owners manual and breaking in a new Kimber with 500 or so rounds of FMJ ball ammo I've never had a problem with the dozen+ Kimbers I own. If I got off my ass and stepped up my shooting schedule my most shot Kimber could see 30,000 rounds this year. 95% of the ammo I shoot is the least expensive reloads I can find on the net. My carry guns consistently shoot my preferred carry ammo without failure. Some guns have preferences as to accuracy with certain brands of ammo but none of them have ever had a reliability or functioning problem.
JC45 likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #10

Thanks for the input. I went to scheels to check them out again. I wanted the rapide but knew a 9mm would make more sense for comp. they had a used aegis for 700 with 3 mags. Now I just need to pick up a couple more and I’m good to go.