New owner in CA need advice - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum News > New Member Introduction

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #1

New owner in CA need advice

Bought a Kimber Pro Carry ll Stainless 45 ACP. Only thing the shop had that fit my hand. Took it to the range and with friends and was embarrassed by its performance. Person on left had a new Springfield Armory 9mm and guy on right had a CZ i think. I showed them my expensive high end Kimber. They just kept going bang, bang, bang. And I went jam, jam, jam. Called Kimber and they were willing to take it back and look at it, but I would like to play around with it before I say goodbye to it for 3-5 weeks. Any suggestions? The rounds jam on the bottom side entering the barrel. The head of the round is in the barrel but it seems the back of the cartridge is not sliding up the bolt face. I have a different magazine on order to see if that makes a difference. The stock mag has about .040 up and down play when the slide is locked open, and according the mag specs the mag locking slot is about .030" high. Over an entire morning I got 48 rounds through it with having to rack the slide about 200 times to get rounds to feed. 230 grain CCI and Winchester. Newbie at this. Any non snarky advice appreciated.
Jflytle and Oklahomabound like this.
Rysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-16-2020, 10:15 PM   #2

That's indeed a bummer. CA? Canada? If you were closer, I'd say bring it on over and we'll have a look.
Tejun likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:40 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum from Northeast Pa. The gun is new, let Kimber fix it for you. I know it sucks but they won’t fix it for free if you mess with it.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2020, 05:23 AM   #4

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Welcome to the forum from Northeast Pa. The gun is new, let Kimber fix it for you. I know it sucks but they won’t fix it for free if you mess with it.
And it won’t take more than a week.
Tejun, JC45 and Oklahomabound like this.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from Dimondale, Mi. Rysti. I hope you cleaned and lubed the gun before making that first range visit and you were using FMJ ammo, if not give it a try. As was already said, don't try making any modifications to the gun you'll void your warranty, just send it back to the factory for service.
2sharp2, Tejun, Markie and 1 others like this.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:53 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum. my first question is the amount of experience you have. a 45 acp in any platform is very prone to limp-wrist. not trying to be snarky just trying to get more info...
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Tejun and 1 others like this.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. Good advice above. Clean it real good before the range session and run it a bit wet. If nothing else, as others have mentioned, Kimber mothership will take good care of you, quickly.
Chuck43 and Tejun like this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #8

Welcome. Of the pistols I have, fingers crossed, I have never had an issue with them. When I bring them home I always clean them and lube them with Froglube, always have had good luck. I have found the Froglube stays with the firearm better than oil. If you have done all of the above as members suggested then send it back to Kimber. I know it is a pain but they will take care of you.
Oklahomabound likes this.
Supertool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #9

Welcome to the site from snarky Tennessee.

Good advise already from Chuck and others. Clean, lube, use good FMJ ammo, firm wrist...

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Kimber 84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
Kimber SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
Kimber 84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #10

New CA user. Its California, not Canada. Cleaned and lubed before the first outing. Using 230 grain FMJ new Winchester and CCI Blaster. I and two others tried it with same results (three limp wrists? or is it six?). I'm not going to modify it, just try a different brand of magazine. Only thing available locally is a SIG 8 round mag. I read a lot about the stock mags not being reliable. Kimber support said that the pistol is tested with the mag that it is shipped with. If the stock mag is bad I cant see how it got through QC. Back to the range on Thursday with new mag will update then. Thanks for comments
Oklahomabound likes this.
Rysti is offline   Reply With Quote