New Member NY - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum News > New Member Introduction

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

New Member NY

Hey guys/girls, great site! Soon to be new to Kimber, however, not new to handguns. I've been looking for a while and finally narrowed my decision down to the following two models, Ultra Raptor Stainless and Ultra CDP II. My local store has both in stock and today after staring at both for some time, I was all set to buy the Ultra CDP. The salesman informed me that I was probably making a mistake and should go with the stainless due to the Kimpro finish having problems. He said that he has seen several come back with serious finish problems and that with the stainless that wouldn't be a problem. He has always given me sound advice in the past. Your thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Tyler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #2

Welcome to KT from Big Sky Country. My only experience with Kimpro was on my Solo. And the sharp edges of the trigger guard and mag well wore off pretty quickly. I quickly realized I should have purchased the stainless steel version. The stainless finish on the frame is also KimPro but it would not be noticeable if it wore off on the edges.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 12-31-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

Tyler, responses maybe slow in coming being that it's New Year's eve. And the closer we get to midnight the less reliable those answers will be. If you catch my drift.😲
JC45 likes this.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:28 PM   #4

Tyler88, welcome to the site from Tennessee. I am soberly perfect...OK I may have a little buzz.
First I will say I own both the Kimber's you are thinking about buying. Some peoples Kimpro finish have worn seemingly quickly others not. I would not let that stop me from buying a CDP Ultra, they can always be refinished by Kimber or Cerakoted. Mine still looks new, I have owned it about three years I am retired but it is my EDC when I leave the house.

My Stainless Raptor Ultra is probably the best looking and one of the most accurate Ultra's that I own and I have several.

IMO those are two of the best looking pistols Kimber makes and there is not a wrong choice. I would almost bet money that which ever pistol you buy now within six months you will buy the other.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

The stainless Kimbers, like the Raptor, have a matt finish. Any pistol used as everyday carry will eventually show holster wear. Unless you like to sit in front of your safe with the door open so you can ogle the safe queens, just accept that the finish on any gun will wear with use. Doesn't change the function or reliability. How about that $50,000 car in the garage. 10 years from now it may need to be freshened up.

Welcome to KT.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

Maybe my holster was a little more abrasive on the inside it was a DeSanti's nemesis pocket holster and I carried it every day. And like I said the only place it wore off was on the sharper edges of the trigger guard and mag well. However I do not think Kimber will refinish it for free they would have to do the whole frame.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
The stainless Kimbers, like the Raptor, have a matt finish. Any pistol used as everyday carry will eventually show holster wear. Unless you like to sit in front of your safe with the door open so you can ogle the safe queens, just accept that the finish on any gun will wear with use. Doesn't change the function or reliability. How about that $50,000 car in the garage. 10 years from now it may need to be freshened up.

Welcome to KT.
You've seen my BMW Z4 convertible? How did you get in the garage anyway? I always set the alarm when I go out.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #8

image.jpeg

Just had to go out and check to see if it was still there.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum from The Lou...

Either Kimber you're looking at is fantastic and you eventually will get the other one anyway..

I have had two of my KimPro finished Kimbers Cerakoted so I'm not a fan of that finish at all...

TETO
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Tyler88, I also own an Ultra CDP II and it's had it's share of holster time without any finish problems. A few years back there were a number of complaints about the KimPro finish but to be honest in the last year there have been very few. I haven't given it much thought but maybe Kimber finally got the message and fixed whatever the problem was. In any case I wouldn't let that stop you from buying the Ultra CDP II if you really want it, Kimber has a great reputation for standing behind their products.
2sharp2 likes this.