Magazine help for a Kimber newbie - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum News > New Member Introduction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Magazine help for a Kimber newbie

I just purchased a new stainless ultra II TLE with laser grips. I also bought an extra 7 round mag and an 8 round mag from Wilson combat. When I insert the 8 round mag without ammunition the slide locks back when racked but I cannot get the slide release to work and get the slide to go forward. Even if I pull back on the slide to release the tension.
Am I not able to use an extended magazine in this firearm? The 7 round mag works fine.
I have not yet had a chance to shoot with it. No indoor ranges here and to cold to play outside. I imagine I don't want to use the 8 round mag. The Mag I got was the #47DOXB compact 8 round lo-profile 1911 .45acp.
All help is appreciated. Thanks an advance.
bgalonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #2

Are you saying it does not lock back with the factory mag in place?

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

No. It does lock back with the factory mag and with the 7 round Wilson combat mag. And I can release the slide lock with them. It's only the 8 round mag that it will lock back but not release. I have to remove the 8 round to release the slide. Also again,this is without ammo in the mags. Hope that helps.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #4

The quantity in the mag shouldn't matter. It's probably the follower. Can you post up some pics of the mags side by side, with clear looks at the tops of the mags? It may help. Welcome to the site.
Fleamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #5

Agreed. Pictures may be necessary. The Wilson mags should be the same no matter how many rounds they can hold.
Another thing to photograph. On the left front of the mag there is a notch where the release button fits. Lay all three mags side by side with the tops exactly equal. Check the notch and see if one isn't a bit lower than the others, thus holding the mag higher into the grip.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

Follow up

First off thanks to those who responded to my post. I had a chance to examine the mags and while the Wilson combat follower looked different from the kimbers' they looked the same otherwise. I also had a chance to shoot the gun yesterday and I took the 8 rounder with me. When the 8 rounder was loaded it performed perfectly. The locked back slide went forward by releasing the slide lock lever and when the slide was racked. In fact the gun ran perfectly wth all 3 mags for the 100 rounds I put thru it. Can't wait for the next time out with it.
Thanks again.