Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hawaii becomes first state to put gun owners in federal database

Hawaii becomes first state to put gun owners in federal database

Hawaii signed a bill Thursday to become the first state to enter gun owners into an FBI database that will automatically notify police if an island resident is arrested anywhere else in the country.

Gov. David Ige said in a statement that the legislation is about community safety and responsible gun ownership. He said it will help law enforcement agencies protect Hawaii residents and visitors.

State Sen. Will Espero, who introduced the bill, and the Honolulu Police Department said the measure could serve as a model for other states. However, critics believe gun owners shouldn’t have to be entered in a database to practice a constitutional right.

Most people entered in the program, known as the “Rap Back” database, are in “positions of trust,” such as school teachers and bus drivers Stephen Fischer of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division said in May. Hawaii is the first to add gun owners.

Supporters say the law would make Hawaii a leader in safe gun laws. Allison Anderman, a staff attorney at the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, said the bill was "groundbreaking," and that she hadn't heard of other states introducing similar measures.

Yet others say gun owners shouldn't have to be entered in a database to practice a constitutional right.

"I don't like the idea of us being entered into a database. It basically tells us that they know where the guns are, they can go grab them" Jerry Ilo, a firearm and hunting instructor for the state, told the Associated Press last month. "We get the feeling that Big Brother is watching us."

The National Rifle Association and the Hawaii Rifle Association had called on their members to oppose the registration bill and the measure barring those convicted of stalking or sex assault from owning or possessing a gun.

"This is an extremely dangerous bill. Exercising a constitutional right is not inherently suspicious," Amy Hunter for the National Rifle Association, said in May. "Hawaii will now be treating firearms as suspect and subject to constant monitoring."

Despite pressure from the gun lobby, Ige signed the measure barring gun ownership from those convicted of stalking or sex assault and a third piece of legislation Thursday.

He also signed a third measure that gives police the power to seize firearms and ammunition if the homeowner has been disqualified because of mental problems, according to Hawaii News Now.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

Maybe I'm having a hard time breaking out of this box but I can't figure out how entering gun owners in a database makes the community safer. What's the logic given for this?

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Maybe gun owners will have to be more responsible than they already are...some crazy legislation.
Spotly likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Haven't you learned yet, politics and logic don't mix.
Spotly, Markie and Cybercycle like this.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:04 PM   #5

What's the logic given for this?
After they get around to confiscation, everyone will be safer. If you're progressive, you need to think ahead. Great job Hawaii(just kidding)
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #6

...And so it starts!
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

I think Hawaii should be handled like Cuba. Keep Pearl Harbor as we keep Guantanamo Bay, and then give the rest of the islands to the Japanese.

My wife took an ill-fated vacation to Hawaii the year they had the two typhoons. Suddenly the prices doubled for everything and cash was all that was accepted.

Being a teacher, she was puzzled and horrified that every overpass had homeless people living under it--usually within walking distance of luxury hotels.

The Bill of Rights makes this new law unconstitutional. You still have enumerated rights under the 2A, 4A and 5A. The existence of the 10A alone negates this Hawaiian law, but who cares--that's Japan's problem...

BTW, my wife was so disappointed with the callousness of the natives of Hawaii and their open discontentment with whites destroying their culture, that she won't set foot on their islands in the future for any reason.

I wish you knew my wife, one of the most forgiving people on the planet. When she spoke this way, and knowing her for 40 years, I figured that place was must be really going down the tubes then.
Markie likes this.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #8

Must of changed from when I was last there in '87... They were great to deal with.

I did speak about the culture with my so called Brother Joe, (personal tour guide).
Hawaii only cares about several things.
- They only thrive on tourism. Only other thing that they make money off is, not bananas or pineapples as you may think, but sugar cane, is their main crop.
- They don't want any mainland living plant making it to their islands. If its not indigenous to them, keep it on the mainland.
- Almost the same mind set with animals.
- They in no way want any of the mainland cultures imposed on them.

So without tourism, they'd prob go back to the Leper Colonies.
I can say, it's a beautiful place and made quite a few friends there. Our first night was a luau. We sat with beautiful people. One farming couple from Kansas that said to us, "You want to see a real pig roast? Come out to visit, stay with us and ket us show you some real hospitality".... Most of the people you will meet ARE other tourists. All that we met were great. BUT they were not from the East or West coast of the mainland. They were from the rural areas of our country or from overseas. We met this one Irishman from Ireland. We had a blast with him and his gal.

Shame they are so self centered over there. But maybe its good they try hold onto their cultures. Cause the mainland's culture is turning to shite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #9

A list of 'Who's Who' that will spread like wildfire!
....but we're already on someone's list everywhere.

Needs to be a www 'public list' of bad guys,...to help limit public crime.

We also need a White House Press Official to manage public 'list'.
Markie likes this.

Last edited by Tinman; 06-25-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #10

Does Federal database suppose to be better then Satate's database ?

Yes I am a Democrat,that love his guns!
If1Hitu is offline   Reply With Quote