Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

The Gurkha leaves for vacation.

Yesterday was one of my final appointments with my ophthalmologist. He is taking a well-deserved two week vacation, and offered me the last appointment before he leaves town.

You'll find this hard to believe, but he was smiling, actually shook my hand several times. My wife and I shared several minutes of idle chatter with him before he left--I even told him about printing our stories about him on KT, and how he's now tantamount to being a celebrity.

Trying to be politically correct--because I'm well known for it--I asked about his itinerary, because I fantasized about The Khyber Pass. He told me that he was going to California. Personally, I had some concerns.

At 4'6" in height, can he patronize any of the rides at Disneyland?

As he turned to go, he smiled and said, "Chico, while you are one of the biggest 'pains' this practice has ever known, let me assure you that your eye will not cause you any trouble from here on out--I have fully examined both eyes. And while it might seem illogical and against all of my beliefs--blessings and peace be upon you--my personal phone number is in your cell phone..."

Then the Gurkha gave me a list of things I can start doing, a series that took up half a page. And trust me, my spine thanked him, too. I can start doing sit-ups and crunches, and using those foam rollers.

As always, the diminutive eye surgeon was a testimony of love and consideration to my wife, he nodded graciously and left the examination room.

I must admit, while I could see virtually nothing due to the aggressive dilating drops they use, I got a bit misty. He is one of the kindest and most caring men I have ever met.

...of course, I blamed the tears on those drops...
Dude22, Hoffbrew and Cybercycle like this.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #2

Glad to hear that you're back to normal. Now make the best of it my friend.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Dude22 View Post
Glad to hear that you're back to normal. Now make the best of it my friend.
Oh, I intend to. It usually takes a day or two for my eyes to clear completely after the drops. I have a knife to finish polishing.

I have not been cleared to shoot yet--but as Chuck can attest, I play with my .22LR conversion kit a lot.

Both motorcycles are still in "cold storage," but tuned and ready to roll. The eye surgeon has suggested I take a short ride on the Sportster to test how good my binocular vision actually is at speed.

My medical doctor is also out of town, but has told me that I will be on a regimen of "lighter weights, more reps" for the uncertain future. We have not spoken about how this is going to go at length.

Yes, I'm impatient. But within less than two weeks I get 2/3s of my life back--and get this--with better vision.

While dreadful to live through, this type of surgery sometimes improves your vision, as it did in my case.
Dude22 and roketdoc like this.