Judge Richard Posner: ‘No value’ in studying the U.S. Constitution - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Judge Richard Posner: ‘No value’ in studying the U.S. Constitution

Now this really bothers me.......

Judge Richard Posner: ‘No value’ in studying the U.S. Constitution

Seventh Circuit Judge Richard Posner sees “absolutely no value” in studying the U.S. Constitution because “eighteenth-century guys” couldn’t have possibly foreseen the culture and technology of today.

In a recent op-ed for Slate, Judge Posner, a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago Law School, argued that the original Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the post—Civil War amendments “do not speak to today.”

“I see absolutely no value to a judge of spending decades, years, months, weeks, day, hours, minutes, or seconds studying the Constitution, the history of its enactment, its amendments, and its implementation (across the centuries – well, just a little more than two centuries, and of course less for many of the amendments),” he wrote. “Eighteenth-century guys, however smart, could not foresee the culture, technology, etc., of the 21st century.”

He added, “let’s not let the dead bury the living.”

Judge Posner, an outspoken opponent of late Justice Antonin Scalia, also blasted “absurd” posthumous encomia for the late conservative.

“I worry that law professors are too respectful of the Supreme Court, in part perhaps because they don’t want to spoil the chances of their students to obtain Supreme Court clerkships,” he wrote. “I think the Supreme Court is at a nadir. The justices are far too uniform in background, and I don’t think there are any real stars among them; the last real star, Robert Jackson, died more than 60 years ago. I regard the posthumous encomia for Scalia as absurd. Especially those of Harvard Law School Dean Martha Minow and Justice Elena Kagan.”

David Bernstein, who teaches at Antonin Scalia Law School, formerly George Mason University School of Law, called Judge Posner’s swipe at Scalia “revolting.”

“We all know Posner doesn’t think highly, to say the least, of Scalia. Judging from what Posner writes, the distaste seems to stem primarily from jealousy – Posner thinks he would be a far better Supreme Court Justice than Scalia was, and he resents that as a ‘lower court’ judge, his writings, though highly influential in their own right, will never get the same attention and accolades as Scalia,” Mr. Bernstein wrote.
OLE442, cousinmark and Cybercycle like this.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

These douche nozzles are running amok... Geeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43, Mini Me and WhiteEagle58 like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator

How can a judge that sees no value in the basic's that this country was founded on remain in office?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

Funny, I had the exact same thoughts in mind about Richard Posner..."no value" and "absurd."
OLE442 and Mini Me like this.
Molon labe
WhiteEagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:47 PM   #5

I guess he's not for the ten commandments either. They should hang his ass. He's not fit to be a judge or an American.

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #6

Yup, and if Mrs Clinton gets elected this is the type of "progressive thinking" "scholar" she'll be suggesting would be ideal for the Supreme Court. Just what we need for the 21st century...
OLE442, WhiteEagle58 and Trubble4u like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

And when the new Clinton appointed Supreme Court rules all the way down the line against the Second Amendment, all the posters on forums who think guys like me are overreacting and worrying about things that will never happen can crap their pants when Hillary takes away the toys just like they did in Australia and many other countries.
OLE442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #8

You may not care for Trump but this is the kind of thinking you’ll get if the Clinton gang gets elected again. With at least two Supreme Court Justices needing replaced soon after the election (and a couple others are not in good health), this country will become a progressive utopia for decades and more likely forever……IMO!
cousinmark likes this.
OLE442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #9

Why would we want to look back centuries, when men and women took care of their families. They went to work to put food on the table and clothes on their children. When people were embarrassed to take handouts. It's not the dead burying the living, it's the living forgetting values.
Mini Me and WhiteEagle58 like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

Originally Posted by OLE442 View Post
You may not care for Trump but this is the kind of thinking you’ll get if the Clinton gang gets elected again. With at least two Supreme Court Justices needing replaced soon after the election (and a couple others are not in good health), this country will become a progressive utopia for decades and more likely forever……IMO!
That's my primary concern too OLE442. If the balance in the Supreme Court shifts and like you've said significantly, the liberals will take advantage of it. I've suspected getting the illegals and refugees naturalized was a goal of the left's for several years now. They'll make good little Democrats so why not? I'm sure that will happen too if she gets to drive the bus? It's hard to understand how so many can't see what's at stake???
Trubble4u likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote