Kimber Talk Forums banner

I need some computer advice about windows 10

3K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  Chuck43 
#1 ·
I have a laptop running windows 7 the most problem free version of windows I've ever had. I know that July 29th will be the last day you can upgrade to win 10 for free. I don't know a lot about computers and I have a question or two about doing this. Is it true that after I install win 10 I have a 30 day window in which I can go back to win 7 if I don't like it. If I decide to keep win 10 what do I do if something happens and I need to reload windows 10, will I be able to download another copy or will I have to buy it? Finally any advice on how to go about installing the upgrade?

#5 ·
We're a Mac family... MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, 27in iMac, two iPads, four iPhones and three Apple TVs.

On my late 2009 27in iMac as I type this and it's running the latest and greatest OS X El Capitan better than new. Happy Mac camper.

That said... Win10 is good IMO. We've got a HP Win7 machine. When I get around to turning it on one of these day I'll upgrade

Unless you have some old legacy software I'd upgrade without hesitation. As always, be sure to keep those special pictures and things you don't want lost on a separate drive.

Good luck.

#6 ·
Thanks Phil, I forgot about backing up my pictures and letters I wouldn't like to lose. I'm not planning on doing this for another couple of days so if anyone has any other suggestions I'd welcome them.

#9 ·
I have 3 computers running windows 10 and one running 10 pro. Two of them not even a month old. I have deleted all the Mcafee crap from all of them. The only protection I have is Windows defender. Not any problems ever with viruses. I have switch all of them to Google Chrome as my default Web Browser. google Chrome with Windows 10 works great. I still have the Windows 10 Edge with the ability to click over to Internet Explorer if i need to.

#11 ·
I have 3 computers running windows 10 and one running 10 pro. Two of them not even a month old. I have deleted all the Mcafee crap from all of them. The only protection I have is Windows defender. Not any problems ever with viruses. I have switch all of them to Google Chrome as my default Web Browser. google Chrome with Windows 10 works great. I still have the Windows 10 Edge with the ability to click over to Internet Explorer if i need to.
Why was that Zoomy ??

#12 ·
Yes, you can go back to Win 7 (at least you could previously). I did it when 10 first came out and I had some issues.

You should have a system recovery/restore option on your laptop to restore the OS. You can also made a boot disk just in case it crashes. I like to keep my most vital programs & files on an external hard drive. You can find a decent one for the cost of about 3 boxes of .45 ACP rounds.

The upgrading process itself is idiot-proof. Just follow the instructions on the screen and you'll be good to go. I upgraded four computers in my house and only had issues on the very first one and that was due to a third party program not being updated yet to be 10 compatible. Once that was done, I have had zero issues.

#15 ·
Does FoxFire still work with win 10, it's my favorite browser. I'll bet I haven't used windows explorer in over 10 years.

#19 ·
I quit using virus protection right after I got win 7, I just use the windows defender and I can't remember the last time I had a virus in my computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.