Kimber Talk Forums banner

At Least 75 Dead as Truck Plows Into Crowd in Southern France, Driver Killed

827 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Marshall 
#1 ·
At Least 75 Dead as Truck Plows Into Crowd in Southern France, Driver Killed

A truck plowed into pedestrians during Bastille Day celebrations in the popular French seaside city of Nice Thursday, leaving at least 75 people dead, officials said.

The ranking politician of the Alpes-Maritimes department where Nice is located, Eric Ciotti, told French broadcaster BFM-TV early Friday that 75 people were confirmed dead. Former Nice mayor Christian Estrosi said 77 were dead.

A spokesperson for France's Interior Ministry said on Twitter: "The individual who was driving the truck was neutralized. Investigation will determine if he was acting alone." Police urged residents to stay in their homes.

Related: Live Updates on Truck Attack in Nice, France
The truck struck the crowd at around 10:40 p.m. local time (4:40 p.m. ET) shortly after a fireworks display.

Estrosi, president of the Provence Alpes Côte d'Azur regional council that includes Nice, told French media that the driver also shot at people and was fatally shot by police. A senior U.S. military official told NBC News that guns and explosives were found in the truck.

Truck Plows Into Massive Crowd on Bastille Day in France Killing Dozens

"White truck literally racing through crowds of all ages. People either caught in path or forced to jump onto rocks over beach barrier," witness Andrew Botros, an Edinburgh man who owns a holiday apartment in Nice, told NBC News in a Twitter message. "Some dead. Horrific," Botros said.

A senior U.S. military source told NBC News that French authorities are reporting that the truck "purposefully" and "maliciously" struck the crowd.

French President Francois Hollande and the country's interior minister were holding a crisis meeting over the situation. The Interior Ministry said a catastrophe and disaster response plan was being implemented. U.S. President Barack Obama has been briefed on the situation, National Security Council spokesperson said.
Witnesses described the chaos after the truck hit the crowd.

"I looked up and saw, like, a tsunami wave of people just running towards me as fast as they possibly could screaming at the top of their lungs," Dr. Kevin Motamedi, a Denver physician on a tour of Europe, told NBC News. "And I just grabbed who I was with and started running as fast as possible. It was basically just complete mass hysteria."

"It was the scariest moment of my life, easily," Motamedi said. "As we were running, you could tell the people in front of us had no idea that anything was going on, so we were running and grabbing people saying, 'Run. Go home!'"

See less See more
#4 ·
... more craziness and probably not the last of it. I'm thinking we'll wind up finding this guy lived in one of those Muslin neighborhoods where they don't assimilate?
... so much for that "if we keep them from getting guns we'll be safe" argument. We need to WAKE UP on this issue and stop kidding ourselves. A safe haven for Muslim refugees CAN be established somewhere other than here. Hillary actually called in to the O'Reiley show last night? I'm sure there was an agreement that the questions would be limited to a specific area. Would have been nice if he could have asked her about the 750,000 or so she's advocated bringing here?

#7 ·
Of course all trucks over 10,000 lbs should be banned and all of the union drivers should be registered with the FMCSA when they get their DOT physical...
Oh wait ...they are registered....so do you think the government knows something we don't about these drivers?

#10 ·
Of course all trucks over 10,000 lbs should be banned and all of the union drivers should be registered with the FMCSA when they get their DOT physical...
Oh wait ...they are registered....so do you think the government knows something we don't about these drivers?
Hey now.... that's my livelihood you're talking about...

Marshall didn't do anything in his truck to get banned... Unless you count flipping the bird to multiple people today....:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.