Survey Of Police Chiefs: ’76 Percent’ Say Armed Citizens Reduce Violent Crime - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By Chuck43
  • 3 Post By JC45
  • 3 Post By Mini Me
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 2 Post By WhiteEagle58

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Survey Of Police Chiefs: ’76 Percent’ Say Armed Citizens Reduce Violent Crime

The 28th Annual National Survey of Police Chiefs shows that “76 percent” of respondents believe armed citizens reduce violent crime.

An even higher percentage–nearly 88–stated their conviction that “any vetted citizen” should be able to purchase a gun “for sport or self-defense.”

According to the survey, nearly “87 percent” of police chiefs support national reciprocity of concealed carry permits. National reciprocity would treat concealed carry permits like a driver’s license, making the concealed carry permit of any state valid in every state. This would do away the headaches law-abiding citizens get by trying to remember which states recognize their permit and which do not. It would also make life easier for patrol officers during a traffic stop by giving them a more unified set of permit rules to remember.

The negative responses in the survey are also telling. When asked if “any vetted citizen” should be able to buy a gun “for sport or self-defense,” only “9 percent” said “no.” When asked if armed citizens reduce violent crime less than 19 percent said “no.” When asked if their department supports national reciprocity only “10.6 percent” said “no.”
Old 07-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #2

Its good to know all these Police Chiefs support us, hopefully it will move forward. Living 15 miles from NJ and 25 miles from NY, this would be a blessing.
Chuck43, Mini Me and Hawker800 like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Its good to know all these Police Chiefs support us, hopefully it will move forward. Living 15 miles from NJ and 25 miles from NY, this would be a blessing.
Couldn't agree more JC. I live east of Chicago and I drive through Illinois/Chicago quite often so it sure would be nice.

I have never understood one thing.
To drive a car you need a license and it is reciprocated in all 50 states. It's a privilege.
To carry a gun you need a license but it's not reciprocated in all 50 states. It's a right. Why?
I am sure this is not the first time this has ever been said and won't be the last but it sure does not make any sense.
Chuck43, JC45 and Hawker800 like this.

Last edited by Mini Me; 07-16-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

I think the word "vetted" in the statement is the important part. Having grown up in NY and since living all over the country at various times I've seen that things are different depending on where you are. The standards are pretty diverse? Personally I think if there were a credential that could be obtained that covered a background check, written exam to verify an understanding of safety and other essential knowledge and qualifying to verify someone could actually manage a particular weapon would be a start. From what I've found (thank's Gmountain) the NRA basically offers classes that cover most of that water. If a few of the existing programs were wrapped together we'd have something that surpassed the requirements in most states. It would be clear within a few years that citizens with a "credential" of this type were not a part of the problem. My thinking being if things go the wrong way in November and the Supreme Court subsequently turns blue??? Having documentable evidence that "vetted" gun owners are "good guys" could be the only way to prevent NY type gun regulations from becoming the law of the land? Just my opinion :-)
Hawker800 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
I have never understood one thing.
To drive a car you need a license and it is reciprocated in all 50 states. It's a privilege.
To carry a gun you need a license but it's not reciprocated in all 50 states. It's a right. Why?
I am sure this is not the first time this has ever been said and won't be the last but it sure does not make any sense.
Dictators and tyrants don't fear our cars.
Mini Me and Hawker800 like this.
Molon labe
WhiteEagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote