Kimber Talk Forums banner

3 police officers killed, 3 wounded; suspect dead in Baton Rouge

3K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Ice-and-Snow 
#1 · (Edited)
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - Three officers are confirmed dead and three others wounded after a shooting in Baton Rouge, a sheriff's office spokeswoman said Sunday. One suspect is dead and law enforcement officials believe two others are still at large, the spokeswoman said.

Casey Rayborn Hicks, a spokeswoman for the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office, said in a statement that the public should call 911 immediately if they see anything suspicious.

The shooting - which happened just before 9 a.m., less than 1 mile from police headquarters - comes amid spiraling tensions across the city - and the country - between the black community and police. The races of the suspect or suspects and the officers were not immediately known.

Baton Rouge Police Sgt. Don Coppola told The Associated Press earlier that the officers were rushed to a local hospital. Coppola said authorities are asking people to stay away from the area.

Multiple police units were stationed at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, where stricken officers were believed to be undergoing treatment at a trauma center. A police officer with a long gun was blocking the parking lot at the emergency room.

Officers and deputies from the Baton Rouge Police Department and East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office were involved, according to Hicks.

An Associated Press reporter on the scene saw police vehicles with lights flashing massed about a half mile from the police headquarters on Airline Highway. Police armed with long guns on the road stopped at least two vehicles driving away from the scene and checked their trunks and vehicles before allowing them to drive away.

Police-community relations in Baton Rouge have been especially tense since the killing of 37-year-old Alton Sterling, a black man killed by white officers earlier this month after a scuffle at a convenience store. The killing was captured on cellphone video and circulated widely on the internet.

It was followed a day later by the shooting death of another black man in Minnesota, whose girlfriend livestreamed the aftermath of his death on Facebook. Then on Thursday, a black gunman in Dallas opened fire on police at a protest about the police shootings, killing five officers and heightening tensions even further.

Over the weekend, thousands of people took to the streets in Baton Rouge to condemn Sterling's death, including hundreds of demonstrators who congregated outside the police station.

Authorities arrested about 200 people over the three-day weekend.

Michelle Rogers, 56, said the pastor at her church had led prayers Sunday for Sterling's family and police officers, asking members of the congregation to stand up if they knew an officer.

Rogers said an officer in the congregation hastily left the church near the end of the service, and a pastor announced that "something had happened."

"But he didn't say what. Then we started getting texts about officers down," she said.

Rogers and her husband drove near the scene, but were blocked at an intersection closed down by police.

"I can't explain what brought us here," she said. "We just said a prayer in the car for the families."

See less See more
#6 ·

For all the security a gated community provides you might just as well stay where you are and put a sticker on your door declaring your home a gun free zone. I guess if you wanted to get serious about it you could hire some old guy to sit at the end of your driveway with a clipboard.

#5 · (Edited)
Is it just me, or do things seem to be getting worse. It's becoming daily that something terrible is happening somewhere.
I've said for a couple years that the last 6months before the election would be to most dangerous in our nations history. I believe this is just the beginning I'm sad to say! This is just my opinion BUT, if we had someone leading this country and setting a different tone, much of this wouldn't happen! I do not believe 9/10's of what comes out of the community organizer's mouth!

Of course, I didn't like Ronald Reagan but now wish for a leader like him. Gee, I was never thought to be a racist because I didn't care for HIS politics at the time! Maybe someday (if we survive all this) I'll think that way about Barry but I really doubt it!

#7 ·
This is really getting worse, especially when things like this happens, arsewipe Oblama starts spewing his anti gun bs.

I think it will get far worse before it gets better in this country. They need to gag potus so our oath keepers can do their jobs without worrying.

When I read this on fox, my heart just fell to the ground. I wish I can just go out there in 24 hr shifts and whoop arse without retaliation along side them.

We need to stand along side leo now more than ever. We are assets, not enemies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
I guess if you wanted to get serious about it you could hire some old guy to sit at the end of your driveway with a clipboard.
......Or put up security cameras.....that way they have good pictures of the bums who got to you....LOL!

I proudly wear Zoombaby shield stickers on my vehicles.

Reactions: speedydg13
#17 ·
From the blog I haunt:

I live not far from there. The interstate has been shut down. Last night there was a report that cops had their food spit in at a local restaurant. The word going around is that if you're white avoid all Baton Rouge city restaurants. It's heating up.

#20 ·
Coincidence?? I saw an article stating that a Baton Rouge chapter of the New Black Panther Party just opened. The shooter in Baton Rouge was also listed as having been a former Nation of Islam member!

#22 ·
AG Loretta Lynch said she would be prosecuting speech that "edges towards violence." Why isn't Nation of Islam leader behind bars?

The words are simply too disgusting to repeat in public but it's worth noting the hate and calls for killing others. Preaching this (link below) along with other hate speech to an audience including lots of small children for decades. Small wonder those small children grow up learning to hate and kill.

Farrakhan: We Must Rise Up and Kill Those Who Kill Us; Stalk Them and Kill Them - Breitbart

#23 ·
As a fifth generation American, I love my country. I have always believed that the police , firemen, military and other first responders are our friends and protectors of the land. I am at a loss for a way to express how I am sickened by the events that have transpired over the last few years towards these brave men and women that I respect and admire. While all the politicians from potus on down are busy pointing the finger at one another and denying any responsibility at what their part has been in all this to have led to these horrible events, our country continues to be fractured, and divided. I wake up every day thinking what's next. I wish I had some answers. I have lived in 5 different countries over a ten year period. The overall feelings about America has changed dramatically from ENVY for being an American to "disgust" for being an American over the last twenty years.
It also looks as though, sadly that there is no quick end to this.
Sorry for the rant

#25 ·
While all the politicians from potus on down are busy pointing the finger at one another and denying any responsibility at what their part has been in all this to have led to these horrible events, our country continues to be fractured, and divided.
Just wait, you ain't seen nothing yet. If Trump gets in and starts rounding up 12 million brown skinned people (alleged rapists and murderers), today's events will seem like free muffins and cocoa. It will be open warfare the likes of which we can't imagine. And it will be us, the voters, to blame.

#28 ·
They just announced he used a Tavor, MP Shield on him and had a Stag in the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.