Flashlights - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

Flashlights

I like flashlights... kinda like guns.

My first decent flashlight was a Surefire G3 incandescent. It runs for about 60 minutes at 105 lumens. Second was an Surefire G2X Pro LED 320/15 lumen which was a lot brighter and lasts for about 90 minutes regulated at 300 lumens. Then I purchased a Surefire P3X 1000/15 lumen which puts out an eye scorching 1000 lumens for a couple minutes then regulates at 500-600 lumens for a good two hours. Pretty impressive light.

But I didn't have a flashlight that offered decent minimum output (around 100 lumens) for an extended period of time. Then I happened to run across Gene Malkoff, Malkoff Devices, Enterprise Alabama.

Gene sells a Cool White (6200K) Cree XP-G2 in a solid brass heatsink and is fully potted to hold up to abuse. It will operate at a regulated 100 lumens for 12+ hours minimum before dropping out of regulation in my old G3. Lifetime warranty. A great upgrade for my G3 and a perfect complement to my other lights.

G3
[

New and old.
bhunted, Hoffbrew and fifthgear like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Never mind, sorry thought this thread was about 'Fleshlights'.

Those are some nice lamps, I've got a bunch also. Use to need them for work, now they are pretty much retired like me. But I still always have one with me, keep it in the same pocket as my folding knife. Really pisses people of in movie theaters, because I won't let anybody in my party sit down until I check all of our seats.
bhunted likes this.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

Flashlights

Surefires are great, BUT, who the fook they think are kidding with their prices? I refuse to spend that much when there are better alternatives. Aircraft aluminum us probably the most common body, Chinese, Japanese have probably cornered the Cree bulb world and are probably in most lights today.

I, like you, love flashlights and I have no idea why. But I have a lot of Streamlights. Mostly for my weapons. They work great and never failed me.

I also have other 900+ Lumens.
Klarus, Fenex and some others do a fine job.
Even some of the Maglights are still decent.

You can break down the components to simple parts. The body, the head, reflector and lens, the tail switch, bulb, voltage driver and protection, water resistance, battery and durability. Some of these are more important than others while some make little difference.

Weigh those components and pick your light. Only thing left is price and warrantee.
Any features outside the above is preference and eye candy.

Want some cheapies that work great? Check out those high lumen mini lights that you can buy cheap in lots of 6 or more on Amazon. They work great and fit nice in your pocket. They die, who cares. We have a bunch that have been working great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 07-21-2016 at 08:08 PM.
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Here's my EDC - Surefire Titan Plus.
15/75/300 lumens
MaxVision Beam
1 AAA 950mAh Ni-MH rechargeable eneloop Pro.

What I like most about the Titan Plus is Surefire's proprietary faceted reflector they call "MaxVision Beam™" that it shares with my Surefire XC1 weapon mounted light on my Glock 19. Very wide, smooth and pleasant light to the eyes absent hotspot. The body is nickel-plated brass. It's advertised as a keychain light but at 2oz including battery is too heavy for that IMO. I purchased it for a EDC watch pocket light which it fits the role perfectly.

To get an idea of the difference in hotspot... the top photo is my Surefire P3X Pro at 15 lumens and below is my Titan Plus at 15 lumens. This broad smooth beam is especially nice for close-up use.

Runtimes are dependent on the type of battery. With the 950 envelope it will operate from 300 lumens and drop down to about 75 lumens in less than 5 minutes, then operate in regulation at that level for about 2hrs before falling. Lithium and Alkaline won't drive the light more than half of 300 lumens. But the lithium have a bit better runtimes using the 75 and 15 lumen modes. About 3hr and 11hr respectively which is a ton of regulated runtime for an EDC. 15 lumens is about all I ever use but it's nice to have that extra light in such a small package if/when needed. That's where the rechargeable envelope comes in handy because I can top it off at any time and have that 300 lumen available.

iPhone 5s, Ruger LCP, Case Red Bone, Surefire Titan Plus and Mori RFID protection wallet.

Surefire P3X 15 lumens

Surefire Titan Plus 15 lumens

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 07-30-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

I'm a Surefire fan myself. I own about four or five of them, but a +20 year old E1e rides in my jeans every day.
roketdoc likes this.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #6

Hey ChattPhil, I really like that Titan Plus, might try to find me one. About how much do they cost and where is best place to buy one?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #7

Here you go 2Sharp. On Amazon. But then everything is on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Tita...ire+titan+plus
2sharp2 likes this.
KC4YIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #8

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Hey ChattPhil, I really like that Titan Plus, might try to find me one. About how much do they cost and where is best place to buy one?
B&H Photo is my favorite candy store for this kind of stuff. I've bought everything from Apple computers to flashlights from them. Very competitive delivered prices with free two day shipping.

From B&H the Titan Plus was $79 and they tossed in for free an Olight AAA flashlight and free shipping. I also ordered more of the eneloop Pro AAA 950mAh from B&H which are difficult to find elsewhere. eneloop Pro is what Surefire includes with the Titan Plus.

Surefire also has the Titan. It's a bit shorter, made of aluminum (lighter) instead of nickle-plated brass, and has 15/125 lumen settings instead of the 15/75/300. But it still has the MaxVision. It sells for $20 less.
2sharp2 likes this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 07-30-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Surefires are great, BUT, who the fook they think are kidding with their prices?
Buying a Surefire is kinda like a Kimber. There's always someone to tell you there are cheaper options.

I consider quality LED flashlights a lifetime purchase. EDC lights are typically under $100 so the margin of savings is of little interest for something I intend to use on a daily basis. Heck, it cost a $100 last week to take the wife out to dinner and a movie. All I got out of it was indigestion and a movie that sucked. The Surefire Titan Plus is a bargain in comparison.
2sharp2 likes this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 07-31-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #10

I agree with you. Those names I posted above, especially the Streamlights, are exceptional. I use to have Surefires when all they had were chargeable and non led lamps. They'd suck you dry via conventional batteries or had to be charged regularly not to mention, the filament bulbs not lasting.

But that's not just it. When they started selling flashlights for $300 plus, I said no more.
Day or night, EDC or not, it's still just a flashlight. Look at some of their tactical rifle lights. Insane prices. I would put up any Streamlight to theirs any day, any time and for a lot less in price.

I know some harden cops that swear by SF. But cannot give me an argument why Streamlights are not better other than they say they are made in USA. That might be so, but the circuitry and bulbs are most likely all Chinese.
My Steamlights never failed in all the years I've owned them. I have them on most of my firearms, rifle/pistol/shotgun and have no regrets. They take a beating.

Now like you mention, take a bunch of those cheapies and throw them around the house. They are bright Cree lamps and work for snooping and quick emergencies. Again, aircraft aluminum. Chinese circuitry.

Incidentally, what makes them last or not is the crappy circuit board drivers that control the power. Cheaply made, they will fail.

The others like Fenix are becoming very popular and trust worthy. Klarus, creeping up behind.

When there were only a few flashlights around like Kelite, Maglite and some others, there wasn't much of a market. Surefire found a niche in the market with law enforcement and became very popular due to lack of competition.
But now they have competition!

In the end.....what matters is failure.
They are no longer the only reigning company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

surefire flashlite kimber ultra carry ii

Click on a term to search for related topics.