Hearing protection - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Hearing protection

I was at our outdoor range yesterday and it was a hot day in the 90's. When I shoot in hot weather I use earplugs. I always use earmuffs at the indoor range. I've never had any issues with plugs while shooting but yesterday when I removed my plugs I felt like they were still in my ears. I could barely hear and was concerned, this has never happened to me. Today my ears feel much better but not 100% and I don't want this to happen again. I work in loud places from time to time and I will use plugs at work to protect myself.

I did some research on custom fit earplugs and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them. Are there any brands you would recommend ? Do they work as advertised ? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have earmuffs so I'm not looking for information on muffs.
Pops6116 likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #2

I called my nephew who shoots trap/skeet and he uses these and swears by them...

https://www.amazon.com/Decibullz-Ear.../dp/B00WIXL2XQ
JC45 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #3

The best earplugs I've ever used, and they are inexpensive, are the Surfire Sonic Defender plugs. I swear by them now.
JC45 and Pops6116 like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Thanks, Marshall those were the exact ones I saw on Amazon and they were about $26. They got good reviews.

Gmountain, I'm going to take a look at the Surefire Sonic Defender plugs. I haven't seen them yet. Thanks
Old 07-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Banned

I have custom fitted earplugs. They were poured/created at a gunshow over 25 years ago. When I do a lot of shooting, or around a lot of other shooters, I use them. If it is 44Mag or big Cal rifles it's the custom earplugs and ear muffs.

Hearing protection is the single best investment for firearms enthusiasts.
JC45 and starnovi like this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #6

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
I have custom fitted earplugs. They were poured/created at a gunshow over 25 years ago. When I do a lot of shooting, or around a lot of other shooters, I use them. If it is 44Mag or big Cal rifles it's the custom earplugs and ear muffs.

Hearing protection is the single best investment for firearms enthusiasts.
There are some do it yourself kits from Radians that have a 2 part mix that you insert and it forms to your ear, probably similar to the ones you have.

I agree with you 100% on investing in hearing protection, I just never had any issues with the hearing protection I was using so I never looked any further.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #7

I can't hear anyway because of the M-60 noise I used to hear plus the screaming of the helicopter engine in my ears. I wear hearing aids now...I use David Clark ear muffs when I shoot, indoor or outdoors.
JC45 likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
I did some research on custom fit earplugs and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them.
My experience with custom fit is from the eighties, so it might not be relevant in the 21st century. I don't know what is available today.

Back then, they'd get a tube of quick-setting silicone, and shoot it into your ear. Then they'd remove it, and take it back to the lab to use as a pattern to make the permanent ear plug. The plugs were a harder silicone material, and you'd sort of "screw" it into your ear.

They worked fine, but I preferred the foam plugs. They seemed to give the same attenuation, but you could throw out the foam ones. Face it, ear plugs get oily and need to be washed/replaced. And if you have dirty hands, then you have dirty ear plugs.

Nowadays, I like foam plugs under amplified ear muffs.
JC45 likes this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

I also use the surefire sonic defender ear plugs and they work just fine, even in the indoor range when shooting my AR, (which is very loud). I like them and continue to use them
JC45 likes this.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Pops6116 View Post
I also use the surefire sonic defender ear plugs and they work just fine, even in the indoor range when shooting my AR, (which is very loud). I like them and continue to use them
An AR is loud and if they work indoor that says a lot. Do any of you using these Surefire Plugs know which model you are using because there are quite a few different models.