Thinking of Reloading - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #1

Thinking of Reloading

I have been mulling over reloading for about a year. Never tried it and don't know anyone who does. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking about a single stage press. From what have ascertained from the inter web, starting with a single stage is best for newbies. I have looked at a plethora of presses and Lee seems to fit the bill, but everyone seems to have their favorite. Imagine that!

So all you reloaders out there give me your thoughts. Maybe I am crazy but I'm retired and the time to experiment.

Thanks in advance for your response. Let'er rip boys.
Josey Wales likes this.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I'm a retired reloader, I've got all the equipment but haven't done it in years. I used 2 single stage presses because I couldn't afford the big bucks they were getting for progressive presses back then. Depending on the amount of time you want to devote and the number of rounds you expect to load I'd suggest you start off with a progressive press and if you can swing it I'd go with a Dillon.
Insta-Gator likes this.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:24 AM   #3

There is less room for error in double charging with an auto indexing machine. If you only intend to reload for one caliber and want it to go fairly quick the Dillon Square Deal B is great. I do All my 45 on one.

For other stuff I use a 550. For things I want precision on and do not need large numbers of I will still use a single stage. But it is a slow process.

Last I did the math for a friend just starting out, everything he needed with a Square Deal, loading 9mm, he would break even on his equipment at the 6000 round mark compared to what buying 6000 of Win White Box would cost.

So it may depend on how much you shoot
Mike240 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2014, 05:10 AM   #4

I use a Lee pro 1000 for 45, 9mm, 40, 357, 44mag. between Ebay and my local shooting shed start up cost for 45acp. was around $700.00. that includes scales ,powder ,bullets, tumbler, bullet puller, Books. ect:ect:
I can reload a thousand 45acp for 16 cents a round.
I know there is far better equipment out there but this works for me.
bigdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigdog10 View Post
I use a Lee pro 1000 for 45, 9mm, 40, 357, 44mag. between Ebay and my local shooting shed start up cost for 45acp. was around $700.00. that includes scales ,powder ,bullets, tumbler, bullet puller, Books. ect:ect:
I can reload a thousand 45acp for 16 cents a round.
I know there is far better equipment out there but this works for me.
Based on your .45 acp cost and what I'm paying for factory reloads your payback point is 4515 rounds. That would be about 22 weeks worth of shooting for me, that's not bad but have you put a $ value on your time?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Thanks for the input so far. My primary reloads would be 9mm and .45 ACP. I am curious as to why the Dillion Square Deal would be best for one caliber only. From what I have gleaned from my research it is easily changed from one caliber to another, with the right bushing and or another plate. However it is only designed to load hand gun ammo and no bottle nosed ammo of any kind. Am I wrong in this assumption!

As far as value of my time goes, like I said, I am retired and believe me I can carve a few hours a month out of my schedule with no problem. How do you put a monetary value on doing something you enjoy? Be it golf, shooting, going for a walk with the wife etc.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Based on your .45 acp cost and what I'm paying for factory reloads your payback point is 4515 rounds. That would be about 22 weeks worth of shooting for me, that's not bad but have you put a $ value on your time?
Just think Chuck the other 30 weeks you can save some bucks. time spent in my shed to me is priceless. reloading stopped me from sitting in front of the boob tube all winter.so actually it saved me chip and dip money!
Islander and Josey Wales like this.
bigdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #8

I started out on a single stage press. I used to do a box a night. That took about 2 hours. When I started loading several calibers, I moved up to a Dillon. Unless you are that very rare bird, loading, like shooting , will become very addictive. Be careful what you wish for!!
bigdog10 likes this.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

Gents, last summer I built a room and I purchased what I think is all I need to reload, I just need someone who knows how to walk me through once or twice.
I have a couple of manuals and want to start with 45colt I have cases primer powder and bullets, got a buddy who knows, if I could get us together a time or two.

" Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigdog10 View Post
Just think Chuck the other 30 weeks you can save some bucks. time spent in my shed to me is priceless. reloading stopped me from sitting in front of the boob tube all winter.so actually it saved me chip and dip money!
Actually I have given it some thought, if my son and daughter in law lived closer it would be a done deal. The three of us easily go through 600 rounds in an afternoon. But if I did get back in it would be with a new Dillon progressive press like a RL 550B or a XL 650 not my old single stage RCBS Rock Chuckers.

Tags
reoading