? For The More Advanced Computer Geeks Here - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Super Moderator

? For The More Advanced Computer Geeks Here

The last two days sometimes when I submit a post to the forum it takes minutes for my post to load. Down in the lower corner of my computer screen it says something like waiting for d1r55yzuc1b1bw.cloudfront.net. I have waited for minutes with nothing happening and had to shut the forum down then restart it only to see that my post posted minutes ago. Is this something on my computer causing the problem, I've never had this happen before and just got my computer back from being repaired.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

2 suggestions, 1) get a mac and 2) ask the moderator.
RustyIron, Hoffbrew and Pops6116 like this.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The last two days sometimes when I submit a post to the forum it takes minutes for my post to load. Down in the lower corner of my computer screen it says something like waiting for d1r55yzuc1b1bw.cloudfront.net. I have waited for minutes with nothing happening and had to shut the forum down then restart it only to see that my post posted minutes ago. Is this something on my computer causing the problem, I've never had this happen before and just got my computer back from being repaired.
I would march that computer back up to whoever did the repair work on it Chuck...

Cloudfront seams to be associated with Amazon...

https://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/faqs/

https://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/
Mini Me likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #4

I can't dissect modern webpage code. But I can snoop around and infer a little bit.

Cloudfront is a content delivery system run by Amazon. It's advertising. It often serves up javascript code. In the Kimber Talk code, Cloudfront is always close to other spammy sites such as huffpost.com, badoo.com, and hotornot.com. Yes, when you're visiting Kimber Talk, there is something going on with these sites. Figuring out what is beyond my skill set.

Perhaps your updated system doesn't have the most recent version of java and it's choking on the javascript. Or maybe you have javascript disabled, which is hanging up your browser. Maybe you're best off installing an ad blocker.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #5

Thumbs up

What browser do you use? A different browser might handle your problem. You can eliminate ads if you want to check out and download a browser called "Brave." It uses code from the Google Chrome browser, but you can configure it to block ads. The default setting is to allow "Brave Ads," but you can set it to block them all.

If you, or anyone else is interested in checking it out, their site is here:

Brave

You can read about it, and consider if you wanna download and try it.

Conversely, it's possible some malware has found its way to your computer. if you get a "cloudfront.net pop up. You can read about that here and how to remove it from your computer:Remove Cloudfront.net pop-up virus (Removal Guide)

Last edited by speedydg13; 09-09-2016 at 11:55 PM.
speedydg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I'm running windows 10 and firefox, with adblock plus and disconnect loaded. I don't see any ads on any of the forums I participate in and it doesn't always happen. This morning my posts are loading the minute I hit the "Submit Reply" button. Last night I would hit the button and it could take minutes for my reply to post.
speedydg13 and Markie like this.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:08 AM   #7

Sometimes when I post using my my Windows 10 pc it will sit there and give me the little blue spinner for a minute or two then the site automatically logs me out. When I log back in my post will be there. Doesn't happen on my iPhone though. I believe it's Windows 10 issue but i do dislike 10 so I may be biased against
Chuck43 likes this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:01 AM   #8

I'm running windows 10 and firefox, with adblock plus and disconnect loaded. I don't see any ads on any of the forums I participate in and it doesn't always happen. This morning my posts are loading the minute I hit the "Submit Reply" button. Last night I would hit the button and it could take minutes for my reply to post.
Can also just be a ... roadkill ... blocking the path your computer is going down... Routing you through Slovenia... Key an eye on it for a week and see if it goes away.

Can't give advice no Win 10 -- I will be moving to Linux (or whatever is extant when MS quits supporting Win 7. I AM DONE with MS and their OS designs called "updates"!

Some mornings the 'ad servers are just swamped...
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
suggestions, 1) get a mac
Every time I see a post by someone needlessly struggling with a PC I'm tempted to blurt out something about getting an Apple. But that just piles more aggravation onto someone who already has plenty of aggravation. Being the kind and thoughtful KT member that I am, I reserve all that for the Solo section.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #10

Chuck, It appears you have been infected with a sort of virus that Amazon is using to allow others to place ads on your computer. I did a search on this as well as looked at the two links which were provided. It seems like this is a form of 'Data Mining' where sellers get access to your machine for the purpose of placing ads. The whole idea of Data Mining is to examine the sites you frequent and direct advertisers to you as a possible customer. The Amazon site material talks extensively about the rates advertisers pay for this. It is based on the amount of data they send out.

In your case I would suspect that the group who worked on your computer was infected so, when they loaded their new image on your machine, it included the cloudware virus. This may have been intentional or they may not be aware that they have an infected image?

The end result is that each time you go on the web, you are not going to the site you targeted but instead are going through the amazon cloudware interface. This would account for the new slow response of your system. It also is why your adware blocker is not working as this process interrupts the normal flow to the extent that the adware blocker never sees the ads. Essentially you are requesting these ads and bypassing the blocker software.

I also did a search on removing cloudware and found the following link;

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/cloudf...virus-removal/

I have no idea if this works so I am not endorsing any part of the process! It does identify the cloudware as malware that should be removed. I suggest you follow the directions to remove and let us know your results? If your not comfortable doing htis then, by all means, get someone else! I would suggest contacting the group that worked on your system and letting them know what you have found. As I said, they may not know they have a compromised image they are putting on customers machines.

Good Luck,

Russ
krunchnik and speedydg13 like this.