Kimber Talk Forums banner

Out of shape PD/FD

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Tankgunner 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I moved this post into it's own thread because I felt it was worth discussing but not in the thread it was in.

Chuck

If fat cops are going to fight crime in our streets, they need to remove the belly fat and get in shape. If cities across America continue employment of fat cops,....then fat cops must defend our public streets, beg for a desk job or 'flip' burgers.

#2 ·
I have many friends that are STLPD & STLFD and yes some of them are not as fit as they were when they entered the academy 20-30 years ago..

How would you go about taking them off of the streets and putting them on desk duty when those jobs are already filled ??

Then there's the legal issue of telling someone they are too fat to serve..I would think the ACLU would have a field day with this and remember that most Americans are obese to some extent right ??...

#4 ·
Then there's the legal issue of telling someone they are too fat to serve..I would think the ACLU would have a field day with this and remember that most Americans are obese to some extent right ??...
Do the bigger departments have fitness standards and annual testing and such? I guess I always assumed they did - like the fire departments or the military. If they don't, they wouldnt really have much to stand on legally.

#5 ·
I've seen this happen in Chicago, in the suburban town I live in and the neighboring communities. New recruits have to pass a physical just to be hired and admitted to the academy. They have to be in shape, able to do x pushups, x pull ups, run x yards in a certain time and a lot of other stuff. But it's like joining a fraternity and going through a hazing. Once you become an officer it all goes out the window.

I know and like every officer on our small police force, most of them stop by my garage to BS if they see I have it open or if I have the hot rod or dogs out.

I'd take a WAG and say 20% of them are in shape, 50% are visibly overweight and 30% are obese, that goes for both the men and women. Our fire department is almost as bad, I'd put them at 30% in shape 60% overweight and 10% obese.

Being on our PD and FD they get a free membership to the towns fitness center that I workout at and I'd bet that no more then 5% take advantage of it. To the best of my knowledge they don't have to take an annual test to see if they can still do a pushup, pull up or even run. I would think that the inherent danger of their job would be enough encouragement for them to workout and try to stay in good physical shape.

I know we have a lot of retired LEO's on the forum and I'd be interested in hearing their opinions on this subject.

Reactions: swca
#8 ·
If fat cops are going to fight crime in our streets, they need to remove the belly fat and get in shape.
Let me start by saying that it is not my intention to insult any Kimberfolk who are bigger than necessary. I could stand to loose about 10-14 pounds myself. Regardless of our sizes, we could ALL benefit by displaying a little more self-discipline and determination in all aspects of our lives.

But when I see a fat ass donut eater squeezing out of a patrol car, I think to myself, "WTF kind of criminal is HE going to apprehend?" It's no wonder that there are so many police shootings, because when a cop is grossly overweight, he has no hope of physically controlling a suspect. The only option is to let him go or put a bullet in his back.

The fact is, law enforcement is a physical job. For those of us in the private sector, if we can't do the job, then we need to find a job that we CAN do. It seems that when an individual lands a gig with the government, he's in a way hit the employment lottery. He no longer needs to meet the job criteria, but the job criteria shifts to meet the employee's capability and motivation. The citizens are the losers in this sweet deal.

I drive through the streets of Los Angeles during high-traffic periods. At those times, the city places traffic control officers in intersections to speed the flow. Call me sexist and racist if you will (and ruin my chance at a future presidential run), but it seems that the majority of the traffic control cops are obese black ladies. I'm not kidding. I have no knowledge of how these people got to the positions they're in, and can only speculate.

#10 ·
Physical requirements can be made for the hiring process to get POST certified and commonly higher standards to pass the academy. But PT is part of the academy and "on the clock".

The issue after that is that agencies demanding a PT standard without some form of compensation to maintain the standard can be a violation of labor law.

Special units that are voluntary like SWAT are exempt since if you fail you are just sent back to patrol. Unlike hose draggers, cops are to be seen and required to work crime or look for crime throughout their shift. They cannot gonthe gym and wait for their next call. Most of the public is not willing to pay them to work out an hour or two per day. Unfortunately many cops get complacent after a couple years of not having to foot chase or fight. And do nothing on their off time to maintain fitness.

In my area is has gotten better not worse since the newer generations have grown up with more corner gyms and fitness programs than in the past.

In my thirty or so years my weight only went up about 12 pounds and belt size grew three inches. Not too bad I'd say given the injuries and surgeries and 26 of 30 years of night shifts.

#11 ·
The issue after that is that agencies demanding a PT standard without some form of compensation to maintain the standard can be a violation of labor law.
If it's part of the job requirements, the compensation is the paycheck and benefits package offered and accepted when they took the job. Once a job is accepted, a person can't then demand more compensation for doing it correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.