Remington 700 vs 3x3 Buck - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Banned

Remington 700 vs 3x3 Buck

IMO the rut was over before the season began, so my chance of success was not great. Only my 2nd day of serious hunting and came across this gorgeous 3x3. I'd seen better before the season began (hence the rut), but this is meat and a trophy for me.

The real fun began as I tried to get this big boy into the back of my vehicle. A wee bit to heavy/awkward so I had to field dress it there, and then of course the puppy was nose deep into the gut pile.

Oh'well another successful hunting season is the books. And I still have 3+ weeks to try and bag a bull Elk.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Jflytle and 5 others like this.

Last edited by montanaResident; 01-02-2017 at 05:41 AM.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

...soups on :-)
Pops6116 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

More sausage????

Old 11-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Banned

Originally Posted by Pops6116 View Post
More sausage????
I made Venison Salami last spring and didn't care for it. Jerky is #1, then chili, stew, and others as ground Venison.
Jflytle and Spotly like this.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #5

Nice Buck! What you going to take the Elk with? Remington?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:31 AM   #6
Banned

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Nice Buck! What you going to take the Elk with? Remington?
More likely the Winchester 70 300 Mag, that has the better scope on it. Even better would be the Weatherby Mark V in 338, but that is to pretty to be bushwhacking with in deep timber.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I hope I can explain this so you understand it. I hunted with a close friend for many years that owned some beautiful Weatherby rifles and he had the same concern as you. He took his rifle to his taxidermist and had him cut 2 pieces of tanned elk hide. One to wrap around the cheek piece and the other the forearm. They punched eye holes in the hide and used a leather bootlace to secure hide to the gun. It protected a good portion of the stock from a possible scratch and he said gave him a more secure grip on the gun. The only problem he found was that it was a little harder to insert and remove the gun from his saddle scabbard.
2sharp2 and montanaResident like this.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #8
Banned

I have two Weatherby rifles. My long long distance rifle is the 30-378 with a synthetic stock. The 338 is for a stand or someday a Bison hunt in central Montana. For what I'm doing now, I've several rifles more then capable of dropping a deer, elk or a bear without using the pricey Weatherby rifles.

The Weatherby 338 I only sighted in a few months ago, and I am surprised at how accurate it is. I bought it second hand, and the previous owner had had the stock glass bedded. I verified this by slipping a dollar bill up and down between the stock and the barrel, and although I didn't think it would make a difference, it really does.

Funny you mentioned scabbard. Only once did I see a couple of guys hunting off horses. They looked like they had stepped out of a movie. I'll never forget it as I was returning from walking the dog and they were heading out. 10 minutes after I got home a fierce wind blew down from the mountains, I was glad to be home, and thought, those guys must be in some deep doodoo.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
Super Moderator

The .338 Win mag. is my favorite heavy hunting round. I have a Remington 700 BDL that I had blueprinted and pillar bedded. With my handloads it will consistently shoot sub minute of angle groups out to 600 yards if I do my part. I used to hunt the Teton Wilderness area, we would go in for 2 weeks at a time. Because it's a designated wilderness area motorized vehicles are not allowed, you either walked or rode and you packed everything you needed to live on both in and out, nothing gets left behind.
montanaResident likes this.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
Banned

I pulled the hide off. Lots and lots of fat and meat on the hide. Coated it with salt and rolled it into a tarp. I will let it sit for a few weeks and hopefully the fat and meat will not have spoiled and is dried such that I can remove it easily and start tanning the hide.

I also spent a couple of hours cutting off fat, and did preliminary separation of the major muscle groups for butchering tomorrow. My shot went thru the lower rib cage and came out near the shoulder. Awfully close to the backstrap and the tenderloins. Luckily these piece of meat survived and are in good shape.

The 338 is a stout cartridge, not nearly as bad a recoil as I expected. Overkill for what I'm doing, but hopefully I will expand my capabilities and grow into the rifle. It was a damn good deal off GunBroker and couldn't help myself. It's Japanese manufactured and shoots the 338 Win Mag, other then that it's all Weatherby.
Chuck43 likes this.