Chicago limits locations of gun stores as federal judge kills ban - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Chicago limits locations of gun stores as federal judge kills ban

CHICAGO — The Chicago City Council, forced by a federal judge to allow gun sales in the city, approved an ordinance on Wednesday that dramatically limits where those stores can open and puts owners on alert that the city will be looking over their shoulder on every sale.

During their discussions, aldermen and Mayor Rahm Emanuel made it clear that the only reason they were voting to permit gun stores after decades of a ban was because a federal judge, following a 2010 Supreme Court ruling that invalidated the city's handgun ban, ruled this year that the ban on stores selling guns was unconstitutional.

“I really wish the Supreme Court justices who opened up the floodgates on guns had to take the calls I get at 2 o'clock in the morning from police sergeants and lieutenants about shootings,” Alderman Will Burns said. “This is the best we can do, and I'm holding my nose and voting for it.”

Aldermen also listed some of the provisions, which will almost certainly trigger a legal challenge, including a requirement that gun sales be videotaped, another that gun owners open their books for inspection by police, and prohibiting stores in 99.5 percent of the city by confining sales to specific areas and blocking areas within 500 feet of schools and parks.

A gun rights advocate agreed that the city that has for decades faced repeated lawsuits over its gun laws had all but assured itself that it will face another one.

“It's actually an ordinance to prevent gun shops,” said Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #2

Very disturbing that this is happening in the USA! Like the gun ban has done such a great job of reducing the gun violence over the past several years.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #3

Exclamation Oh Hell Yeah!!

That is exactly what I expect from Obama's "Land of the Corrupt Politician"!!! Chicago has had the finest politicians and police that money could buy since the time of Al Capone. If Rahm Emanuel, the police chief and the aldermen could find a way to line their pockets by allowing gun shops in the city, they'd jump on it in a New York Minute!!!!

These jerks haven't figured out that disarming the public does nothing but make it easy for the criminals to find easy victims!!! As for the street gangs, well, the city should organize gunfights between rival gangs at Soldier Field and just let them kill each other off!! No problem!!! Heck, they could even have betting on it to raise revenue for the city!!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 06-26-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
That is exactly what I expect from Obama's "Land of the Corrupt Politician"!!! Chicago has had the finest politicians and police that money could buy since the time of Al Capone. If Rahm Emanuel, the police chief and the aldermen could find a way to line their pockets by allowing gun shops in the city, they'd jump on it in a New York Minute!!!!

These jerks haven't figured out that disarming the public does nothing but make it easy for the criminals to find easy victims!!! As for the street gangs, well, the city should organize gunfights between rival gangs at Soldier Field and just let them kill each other off!! No problem!!! Heck, they could even have betting on it to raise revenue for the city!!!!
I agree with everything you said Keith but you can't put all the blame on Rahm Emanuel, he's just carrying on a Chicago Democratic tradition. This gun control crap in the city goes back 8 consecutive mayors to Richard J. Daley. The last Republican mayor Chicago had was William Hale Thompson in 1927-31.
Richard likes this.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

Does the population of Chicago outnumber the rest of that state? Why aren't there state laws passed to prevent the cities from such restrictions? It has been done elsewhere.

Last edited by Mike240; 06-26-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #6

The city of Chicago "IS" Illinois politics. There are other municipalities, of course. But as for the state, no one who wants to progress in his or her career would dare contradict Chicago gangster politicians.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
Does the population of Chicago outnumber the rest of that state? Why aren't there state laws passed to prevent the cities from such restrictions? It has been done elsewhere.
Good question, Chicago makes up about 1/5 of the states population. But most of the states top government offices are held by Chicago politicians. Take Governor Pat Quinn for example he resides in Chicago and flies down to the state capitol daily on a state plane to conduct business and then flies back home in the evening as did our ex Governor and now jail bird Rod Blagojevich. People have been complaining for years about Chicago running Illinois. The problem is they are so deeply entrenched that it would take an act of god to knock them out. They do what they want, ignore the law and tell those that oppose them to sue them. This is why the city is constantly in court, if it weren't for the NRA we would have never gotten concealed carry passed in Illinois.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #8

I would have thought they would have passed an ordinance preventing gun stores anywhere within 500' of where people live, work, eat, drive or play.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote