Kimber Talk Forums banner

One suspect dead, 9 injured after attack at Ohio State University involving car, butc

984 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ChattanoogaPhil 
#1 ·
One suspect dead, 9 injured after attack at Ohio State University involving car, butcher knife

Nine people were injured Monday after a man drove a vehicle into a crowd of students at Ohio State University, got out of the vehicle, and began attacking people with a butcher knife before he was shot and killed by a campus police officer, officials said.

Ohio State Police Chief Craig Stone said the attacker purposely drove over a curb and into pedestrians.

"This was done on purpose," he said.

Columbus Police Chief Kim Jacobs said police were looking into whether it was a terrorist attack.

Monica Moll with the Ohio State University Department of Public Safety told reporters the attack took place in front of Watts Hall, the location of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, around 9:52 a.m.

A campus officer nearby engaged the suspect, who was attacking people with a butcher knife, and shot and killed him.

"The threat ended when the officer shot the suspect," she told reporters.

Moll said that "injuries were minimized," due to the rapid reaction of campus police.

Ohio State University said in a statement the injuries included stab wounds, and being struck by a vehicle. There were also other injuries that were being evaluated.

Jerry Kovacich, a third-year in welding engineering, told the school's newspaper, The Lantern, that he witnessed a man in a car try to drive into a crowd of people after a fire alarm went off. After the car crashed, Kovacich told the newspaper he witnessed the man then attack bystanders with a knife.

"I didn't see anything with the shooter, what happened was it was outside of MacQuigg Lab," Kovacich told The Lantern. "The guy ended up just coming and hopping the curb with his car and trying to mow down a couple people. He lost control, and I think he ended up hitting three people, and then people were around the car.

Somebody asked him if he was OK and the guy just hopped out of the car with a butcher knife and starting chasing people around."

There continues to be a massive law enforcement presence on campus, including a SWAT team and officers with long guns. Police also blocked off roads around the perimeter of the campus, clogging area traffic. Classes were canceled for the rest of the day.

The school initially sent out a campus wide alert at 9:56 a.m. local time which read, "Buckeye Alert: Active Shooter on campus. Run Hide Fight. Watts Hall. 19th and College."

See less See more
Reactions: cousinmark
#4 ·
Now you know why I start the morning off on my knees praying for the good Lord to watch over my daughter while she's away at college....

Prayers for the wounded. ....
and this is why we are thankful at this moment that our daughter graduated from OSU 2 years ago.

Prayers to the wounded and all the parents at home wondering, is my child safe

#3 ·
I just wish they would not automatically use the "active shooter" buzzwords all the time. Creates more FUD than necessary, and was inaccurate 'cause the ONLY shooters were the 1st responders.

At least I'm seeing some report it as the terrorist attack it was. Also thankful that the only fatality was suffered by the attacker.

#7 ·
Just got an e-mail about the terrorists posting in their publications about possibly setting fires in forested areas that could spread quickly during dry seasons and windy areas that would spread and threaten surrounding populated areas. I spoke with a relative who lives in such an area and I was told they actually have volunteer's that drive the area with signs on their vehicles warning that they are on watch for suspicious activity. They stay in contact with local authorities with this information as in describing vehicles and any people acting oddly. Just sharing this with all of you. Be vigilant in your daily travels and keep a pen and paper handy in case you need to record what you see. Lets protect our selves, families and those in our neighborhoods.

#8 ·
When I first heard about a vehicle being driven into a crowd of university students and then the driver running around with a meat cleaver trying to kill everyone... I figured it must be a cowboy ranch hand from Texas or perhaps a Mormon drinking his first ever cup of caffinated coffee probably named Joe Smith.

I was shocked to later find out it was a Somalia Muslim refugee named Abdul Razak Ali Artan who was brought in to our country by the Obama Admin in 2014. Who woulda thunk?:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.