Skeeter Skelton Fans?? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #1

Cool Skeeter Skelton Fans??

I started reading Shooting Times Magazine in the mid-70's. The Handgun Editor for the magazine was an old Texas rancher, sheriff (Deaf Smith County), Border Patrolman and federal DEA agent named Charles A. Skelton. But everybody just called him "Skeeter". He acquired the nickname in high school playing football. He was not large, imposing or super tough. But he was always around the ball, the play, the tackle and was as pesky as a mosquito!! Hence, the name stuck!!

He had a unique style of writing for a gun magazine. He was down to earth and just had a way with words that endeared himself to the reader. He was up there with the best of them for doing an in depth gun review. Accurate, precise, factual, but with Skeeter's own brand of down home humor and South Texas hospitality!! In addition to firearm reviews, he covered rifles, shotguns and handguns. But above all, he was a handgun man!! Beside the traditional firearms reviews, Skelton also wrote articles about western/southwestern history, stories about Me and Joe (Skeeter and his boyhood friend Jody Bishop) growing up during the depression in Texas, his experiences as a young Marine infantryman, at the end of World War II and his adventures in the 1950's buying up old Colt Single Actions below the border, in Mexico. If that wasn't enough to keep your interest, he also, amazingly, wrote fiction columns in a gun magazine. He had a string of highly entertaining fictional characters: Dobe Grant, a grizzled old Texas lawman, Jug Johnson, a west Texas hill country goober that was attracted to guns and wanted Skeeters job and the Man in Black, who carried a beautiful Smith and Wesson New Century Triple-Lock Target Model .44 Special revolver under his black linen duster. Skeeter's Me and Joe stories, his historical stories and his fiction all carried a Shooting Times grant for reprinting. Many western/southwestern teachers found his writings to be just the thing to hold and encourage reading in young boys. Many a young man learned to read by being eager to find out what adventures that Me and Joe got into "this time"!!!

Sadly, Skeeter died way too early, in 1988. His son, Bart, is now the Handgun Editor of Shooting Times. I remember seeing a photo of Bart at age 8 shooting his dad's 6 1/2" Flattop .44 magnum Ruger Blackhawk in one of Skeeter's articles. Bart was a New Mexico Highway Patrolman and followed his dad as a federal agent and then into writing. He is a chip off the old block!!!

Any other die hard fans out there? I still have a soft spot for .44 Special revolvers. Why? Easy!!! Skeeter made me do it!!

Skeeter Skelton.jpg Jug Johnson.jpg Dobe Grant.jpg
Skeeter----------------------->Jug Johnson----------------->Dobe Grant

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 02-05-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I was a fan of his for more years then I can remember, his articles were one of the main reasons I subscribed to Shooting Times magazine. I enjoy Barts stories and love rereading the reprints they occasionally run of Skeeters works. Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Bob Milek, George Nonte were my heros, I still have a large collection of shooting times, Guns and Ammo and other magazines from the 60's, 70's and 80's that I've saved.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #3

Yeah, I always enjoyed his stories.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

Once he was gone I gave up on Shooting Times.

Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Cool Still A Skelton Fan!!

Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Once he was gone I gave up on Shooting Times.

Chip
I considered giving up also, at the time. I hung in there and got to know Sheriff Jim Wilson. He was another western history man. He was pretty fair hand at a gun review or a short western story, but he was not Skeeter!! Now we have come full circle. Instead of Skeeter's "Hip Shots" column on the back page of Shooting Times, we now have Bart's "The Last Round" column every month. He may never be the equal of his daddy. He may not have his daddy's flair for fiction, but you can sure as hell tell that he is Skeeter and Sally's boy!!
Bart Skelton.jpg
Bart Skelton

I guess I'll be reading Bart until I go to meet Skeeter!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 07-15-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

bart skelton nm

Click on a term to search for related topics.