Trump picks Colo. appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree24Likes
  • 5 Post By Chuck43
  • 2 Post By Insta-Gator
  • 8 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By Insta-Gator
  • 3 Post By Albert.Cairns
  • 3 Post By OLE442
  • 2 Post By Markie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Trump picks Colo. appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court

Trump picks Colo. appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court

President Trump nominated Colorado federal appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch for the Supreme Court on Tuesday, opting in the most important decision of his young presidency for a highly credentialed favorite of the conservative legal establishment to fill the opening created last year by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia.

Gorsuch, 49, prevailed over the other finalist, Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania, also a federal appeals court judge, and Trump announced the nomination at a televised prime-time event at the White House.

The bonhomie of the ceremony was in stark contrast to the reaction of Democrats, who are ready for a pitched battle over the future of the Supreme Court. Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Gorsuch will have to win over some Democratic senators to get the 60 votes needed to clear procedural hurdles.
Trump broke tradition by entering the White House ceremony by himself, rather than alongside his nominee. He declared that after “what may be the most transparent judicial selection process in history,” he had delivered on a campaign promise to “find the very best judge in America” for the court.

Use the link at the top of the page to read the entire story.
Chickadee, OLE442, Markie and 2 others like this.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #2

I'll need to do some more homework on Gorsuch, but anecdotally, I have heard he is very pro-2A and views the Constitution to mean what it says.

I can support someone like that.
OLE442 and Markie like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Super Moderator

He's a judge who routinely rules against anything that empowers the government. He's also an originalist and a textualist.

Nancy Pelosi was quoted as saying that he's a horrible candidate that doesn't view law in the modern view of law. If that's not a ringing endorsement for the guy, I don't know what is. She's nuttier than squirrel turds.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #4

In a speech to Case Western Reserve University's law school shortly after Scalia's death in February 2016, Gorsuch praised Scalia for his unyielding textualism — interpreting a law according to its plain text, rather than considering the intent of the lawmakers or the consequences of its implementation.

Gorsuch said Scalia's greatest achievement was perhaps his emphasis on the differences between legislators, who, he said, use the law according to their own morals and ambitions for society's future, and judges, who "should do none of these things in a democratic society."

"Judges should instead strive, if humanly and so imperfectly, to apply the law as it is, focusing backward, not forward, and looking to text, structure, and history to decide what a reasonable reader at the time of the events in question would have understood the law to be," Gorsuch said.
Judge Neil Gorsuch is a front-runner for Trump's Supreme Court nominee - Business Insider
Chuck43 likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

Gorsuch is an originalist and applies the constitution as written At the time of origination. Very good pick and very strong 2A supporter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43, OLE442 and Markie like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
He's a judge who routinely rules against anything that empowers the government. He's also an originalist and a textualist.

Nancy Pelosi was quoted as saying that he's a horrible candidate that doesn't view law in the modern view of law. If that's not a ringing endorsement for the guy, I don't know what is. She's nuttier than squirrel turds.
Now Chuck.....that is soooo funny! Yes, she'd make a great case study for a psych student!

Like Michael Savage says "Liberalism is a mental disorder"!
Chuck43, Insta-Gator and Jflytle like this.
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #7

I am impressed with his choice. I think our Country needs a few more like him.....we have deviated too far from what is right.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote