Never got this concept . . . - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #1

Never got this concept . . .

So you keep hearing this, especially in the movies that 'War' is good business. Both the destruction part and the re-building.

How can both be profitable in any way? First you are destroying everything (Which costs money) and then you are re-building everything which is even worst.

So how in the heck is war a "good business"?
AlexBoyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #2

Well, from my limited view - the business I work for sells electronic products to the military, and the more bombs that get blown up, the more product we sell... so there ya go.
Chuck43, Markie and AlexBoyKing like this.
DallasCMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

As DallasCMT stated, if you are in the business of making things that go BOOM, war is very profitable. Afterward, you would want to be in the infrastructure/building trade, to rebuild all the power/water/electricity and homes that were destroyed.

The comment is self is from the capitalistic viewpoint, with no concern for the social aspects. I think its that simple.
Chuck43 and swca like this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #4

War use to be considered good business during the ww eras especially. When people were hurting, times were tough, blah blah, they went to ammunition factories and other defense industry for jobs that may not have been there previously. So many people got jobs and supported their families during depressing times.

Now, not as much because the industry has been in constant movement for decades. When the military constantly requires new technology and constantly wastes munitions, the biz will always be booming. When I refer to as waste for example, using rockets to take out a small group of insurgents buried in a dune instead of sending some lead down range. Not saying they don't send led but all too often wasting million dollar missiles where not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - USCAA - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #5

Originally Posted by AlexBoyKing View Post

FIL's buddy was rich already, but when we started fighting Muslimia, he built a bomb making factory. Apparently bombmaking is a profitable enterprise, because he's even richer than before. So war is good business for him and his employees. Despite the monetary rewards, that stuff is not for me. It's hard enough being a good person without inviting that kind of bad juju into my life.

If the boatloads of tax dollars spent on war was spent on other things, like roads and schools and parks and energy, then the same number of people would be employed. The difference is that rather than throwing it all down a toilet, the labor of the workers would be spent on something that improves the country and the lives of all its citizens.

If you really want to take this discussion in a bold new direction, suppose the government just allowed the taxpayers to keep their earnings. Then all the citizens could buy new big screen tvs, cars, Kimbers, and caviar. Again, all those things require workers to create, employing millions, and the citizens' lives are improved.

But instead of citizens using their earnings to improve their lives, our government squandered trillions of dollars in:
Korea (still unresolved, and they're still threatening us)
Vietnam (we lost that war),
Iraq 1 (stupidest engagement ever),
Iraq 2 (creating ISIL and fulfilling Iran's wet dreams),
Afghanistan (a lot of dying and no winning).

We can wave our flags and yell oorah all we want, but if you want to be a winner during wartime, steer clear of the recruitment office and get yourself a gig creating things. Actually, that's good advice in both wartime and peace.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 02-05-2017 at 12:54 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #6

Originally Posted by AlexBoyKing View Post
So you keep hearing this, especially in the movies that 'War' is good business. Both the destruction part and the re-building.

How can both be profitable in any way? First you are destroying everything (Which costs money) and then you are re-building everything which is even worst.

Unusual question. Not that I advocate needless war (I'll leave it to others to decide for themselves what justifies war) but from an economics stand point, you must consider two things (1) cash flow and (2) workforce reduction.

Cash flow is what keeps any economy going. Higher cash flow generally equates to a more robust economy.

Workforce reduction generally leads to statistically full employment and better wages.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #7

We need a "Not Like" button next to the "Like" button.....
Marshall likes this.
Fredneck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

sure they make jobs...good paying jobs...but in the end it is on the taxpayers dime...with more and more gov jobs...do the math

we need private sector jobs...and that is hard now that pretty much anything anyone ever needed is already being made. add robots into that and there is less demand for people....

the stock market and their make believe money is raping everyone..the whole point was to help companies.. not as a bank rip off...no ceo is worth what they are getting

still my favorite radio show is "the category inventor"
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #9

John (bhunted) is exactly right. Conventional, global warfare used to be more predictable and easier to manage, until natural resources start running out. Today's war(s) against the "masked nemesis" remind me of an old Star Trek program where the war on a planet had been going on for generations because they had found a way to make it civilized. All that was required was for everyone to comply with the rules of the game. Ergo, wars MUST be hideous, gory, and unimaginably violent. The fear of war is the only thing that spurs the public to pressure governments to limit or stop wars. If it doesn't affect you and you can afford it, then there is no down side to provide the impetus for the population to demand a halt.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #10

Exclamation Let Me Explain It To You!!

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
War use to be considered good business during the ww eras especially. When people were hurting, times were tough, blah blah, they went to ammunition factories and other defense industry for jobs that may not have been there previously. So many people got jobs and supported their families during depressing times.

Now, not as much because the industry has been in constant movement for decades. When the military constantly requires new technology and constantly wastes munitions, the biz will always be booming. When I refer to as waste for example, using rockets to take out a small group of insurgents buried in a dune instead of sending some lead down range. Not saying they don't send led but all too often wasting million dollar missiles where not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the father of a U.S. Army Infantry soldier, I would much rather see a load of cluster bombs or Hellfire missiles expended on a "small group of insurgents" than risk my son's life "sending some lead down range!!"

An even more interesting thought......How would YOU like to be that poor ground pounder assigned to send that lead down range at those poor, innocent, peace loving Islamic folks? You'd learn to love air delivered ordinance real quick!!! And the bigger, the better!! I'M JUST SAYIN'!!
F-16_Fighting_Falcon_launching_AGM-65H_Maverick.jpg

B-52's.jpg

Per U.S. Air Force General Curtis LeMay....."BOMB THEM BACK INTO THE STONE AGE!!"
Islander and Fredneck72 like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 02-05-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote