• 4 Post By Marshall
  • 2 Post By Lineman
  • 1 Post By Hawker800

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Vietnam veteran turns tables on would-be robbers, shooting both

Vietnam veteran turns tables on would-be robbers, shooting both

EDWARDSVILLE –Two would-be robbers had the tables turned on them Thursday, resulting in charges of first-degree murder for one of the attempted robbers.

Madison County State’s Attorney Tom Gibbons announced first-degree murder charges Friday against Perry A. Richardson, 23, in connection with a shooting that took place on Thursday morning in Venice.

Venice police were dispatched to the 200 block of Abbott Street around 10 a.m. on Feb. 2 in response to reports of shots fired. Upon arrival, officers discovered the body of Billy D. Dickerson, 19, inside his car. Dickerson, a resident of St. Louis, was pronounced dead at the scene.

During the course of the investigation, investigators with the Illinois State Police determined that Dickerson and Richardson approached and attempted to rob at gunpoint two individuals sitting in a vehicle in front of a residence on Abbott Street. One of the victims, a 70-year-old Vietnam veteran from St. Louis, pulled his gun and fired on the would-be robbers, striking both Dickerson and Richardson. Dickerson, the driver, was struck in the head; Richardson, the passenger, was struck in the arm and chest. The victim is authorized to possess a concealed firearm in his home state of Missouri.

“Self-defense is an inalienable right in a free society and the right to keep and bear arms is enshrined in the Second Amendment. The courts have consistently recognized the right of a law-abiding citizen to carry a concealed weapon for the purpose of self-defense. This incident yesterday morning is the exact situation where the necessity for this right becomes crystal clear,” said Gibbons, who also participates in concealed carry. “I have said it before and I will not waver from this position — I say to all criminals thinking about committing violent crimes in Madison County — if you come here to commit your crimes, do not be surprised if you end up on the wrong side of the concealed weapon of a law-abiding citizen. We will not tolerate violent crime and we will defend ourselves, our loved ones and our community from the harm you intend to bring.”

Gibbons also commended the work of the officers with the Illinois State Police and the Venice Police Department for their investigation that led to Friday’s charges.

Richardson was transported to SLU Hospital for medical treatment. Upon release, he will be brought to the Madison County Jail in Edwardsville where he will be held without bond. Maximum penalty for first-degree murder is 20-60 years in prison. If convicted, Richardson will be required to serve 100 percent of his sentence.

First of all I am 100% behind they way things turned out and the 70 year old vet not being charged with anything. I understand the laws in Illinois and this leads to some questions. The 70 year old vet is authorized to possess a concealed firearm in his home state of Missouri. He was carrying the concealed firearm and used it in the state of Illinois. The state of Illinois does not recognize carry permits from any state but Illinois so he was illegally carrying a firearm but wasn't charged with anything. Is this a sign of things to come, Illinois law enforcement and the State’s Attorney office actually using some common sense?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #2

I have to say, the fact that the shooter did not get charged in Illinois is an interesting twist. I also suspect that had that happened up in the NE part of the state, say Chicago for an Indiana resident, the shooter would have been charged.

No matter, the shooting is a perfect example of why we carry.
Jflytle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Jflytle View Post
I have to say, the fact that the shooter did not get charged in Illinois is an interesting twist. I also suspect that had that happened up in the NE part of the state, say Chicago for an Indiana resident, the shooter would have been charged.

No matter, the shooting is a perfect example of why we carry.
He never got out of his car with the gun so maybe that's the reason he wasn't charged..

He is from St Louis just like me and I can drive into Illinois with my conceal carry weapon on me. I cannot get out of the car with that weapon and I believe that's why the Vietnam vet wasn't charged because he never exited the car with that gun...

Now if the Vietnam vet had not had a concealed carry endorsement this would be a totally different outcome.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Jflytle and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Marshall; 02-05-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Marshall, you're 100% right, I read right over that and it didn't register, duhhhh.
Marshall and Hawker800 like this.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Marshall, you're 100% right, I read right over that and it didn't register, duhhhh.
I figured as much because you were the one that schooled me on that law awhile back....

Just a reminder for each and everyone of us to know your states gun laws as well as the ones that you will travel through...
Chuck43, Jflytle, Hoffbrew and 1 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #6

This another reason why President Trump should begin the process of what we call in Wisconsin "Constitutional carry."

The idea here is not the 2A, but the 10A. That makes it clear that anything not covered in the Bill of Rights can be regulated by the states.

Technically, all 22,000 state, county and municipal gun laws are unconstitutional under the 10A.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
Old 02-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #7

Cool Tough Lesson!!

I guess that will teach those boobs not to mess with an armed man that know how to defend himself!!

As Daddy used to say..."If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough!!"

To the Vietnam vet, first off, WELCOME HOME and second YOU ROCK!!
Marshall and Hawker800 like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #8

Don't mess with old guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Marshall likes this.
Hawker800 is offline   Reply With Quote