Road trip questions - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
OLE442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Way too close to the city
Posts: 1,592
Road trip questions

Later this year we will take a road trip to the Denver Colorado area to see our son. I have an Ohio CCW and will be traveling through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas to get to Colorado.

In looking at the CCW reprocity map, it indicates Illinois doesn't recognize Ohio CCW permits, Any ideas how to deal with this other than bypass the entire state??

Also, Colorado does recognize the Ohio CCW but I know some parts of the state are not that gun friendly IMO! Any thoughts on CCW in Colorado.

Thanks for any insight here!!
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
starnovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,676
Drive fast....just kidding. I'm interested in the feedback on this, so I hope you get some.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cardinal Nation
Posts: 19,294
Originally Posted by OLE442 View Post
Later this year we will take a road trip to the Denver Colorado area to see our son. I have an Ohio CCW and will be traveling through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas to get to Colorado.

In looking at the CCW reprocity map, it indicates Illinois doesn't recognize Ohio CCW permits, Any ideas how to deal with this other than bypass the entire state??

Also, Colorado does recognize the Ohio CCW but I know some parts of the state are not that gun friendly IMO! Any thoughts on CCW in Colorado.

Thanks for any insight here!!
As long as you don't take your gun out of the car while driving through the Land of Lincoln you will be fine....If Colorado recognizes your CCW you have no worries at all and if you still want to worry wear it concealed where no one sees it....
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
OLE442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Way too close to the city
Posts: 1,592
Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
Drive fast....just kidding. I'm interested in the feedback on this, so I hope you get some.
Yes, especially from Chuck
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Albert.Cairns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,909
Seeing Illinois doesn't fully recognize the permit I would unload and lock up, drive through and reload up. I wouldn't take the chance on encountering a leftist gun grabbing cop in some anti gun county. JMO. Better safe then a felony.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 34,126
Marshall's right, while in Illinois if you are licensed by your home state to carry a gun you can continue to wear your concealed weapon in your vehicle. If you have to get out of the vehicle say to buy gas you must leave the gun in the car with another licensed gun holder or unload it and put it in your console or glove compartment.
Marshall and OLE442 like this.
__________________
WE DON'T SHOOT TO KILL, WE SHOOT TO SAVE A LIFE.
Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cardinal Nation
Posts: 19,294
Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Marshall's right, while in Illinois if you are licensed by your home state to carry a gun you can continue to wear your concealed weapon in your vehicle. If you have to get out of the vehicle say to buy gas you must leave the gun in the car with another licensed gun holder or unload it and put it in your console or glove compartment.
I just confirmed that by calling the ISP and he told me the exact same thing...

Illinois State Police District 18  

State Police Department
Address: 102 IL-16, Litchfield, IL 62056
Phone(217) 324-2151
OLE442 and JC45 like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 34,126
A week or 2 ago a guy with a carry permit drove into Illinois from Mo. while in his vehicle someone tried to rob him and he shot the guy. The shooting was ruled justifiable and he was never charged with anything because he never left his vehicle with his gun.
Marshall, OLE442 and JC45 like this.
__________________
WE DON'T SHOOT TO KILL, WE SHOOT TO SAVE A LIFE.
Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cardinal Nation
Posts: 19,294
Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
A week or 2 ago a guy with a carry permit drove into Illinois from Mo. while in his vehicle someone tried to rob him and he shot the guy. The shooting was ruled justifiable and he was never charged with anything because he never left his vehicle with his gun.
Would-be robbers in Metro East pull gun on Vietnam vet, who fires back, killing 1 | Law and order | stltoday.com
DaveinNC likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Albert.Cairns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,909
Just don't forget to take it off if you pump gas. Or heaven forbid you need to use the engine compartment for cover. Inside a vehicle is the last place I want to be in a gun fight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chatting Thread III about nothing in particular Chuck43 Off-Topic Discussion Forum 9162 03-17-2017 06:18 AM
The Road To The White House Marshall Off-Topic Discussion Forum 1 02-19-2017 03:08 PM
Micro 9 Questions ron.ingraham Kimber Micro 9 Forum 6 01-20-2017 03:34 PM
Range Trip #2 with new Micro 380 Tejun Kimber Micro Carry Forum 4 09-21-2016 09:18 PM
Six trivia questions to see how much history you really know Chuck43 Off-Topic Discussion Forum 6 06-22-2016 05:56 PM