• 1 Post By starnovi
  • 1 Post By Mini Me
  • 1 Post By Tejun
  • 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By bhunted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

Ultrasonic gun cleaners

Does anyone own or use an ultrasonic gun cleaner? What do you think about them? Pros/Cons? My husband is really difficult to buy gifts for, so I was thinking about an u/s cleaner for Father's Day. I've been doing some research on them and so far, not sold on any of them. Old fashioned elbow grease seems to be the way to go!
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

I got one from my wife for Christmas. It is large enough to do a full AR upper but also has compartments that are just the right size for a pistol. It will not be a substitute for an old fashioned hand cleaning but it does remove the hard to get areas pretty effectively. I use distilled water and the Hornady brand ultrasonic solution. If you get him one I would recommend to get one that has the heat option. I have read reviews of people Having their painted/coated finishes on their metal guns flame off and/or their plastic frame guns destroyed. I don't buy into it. Either they have had bad finishes to begin with or they are not following the directions/common sense. In my opinion these ultrasonics are not powerful enough to do what is being claimed. Just my .02
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_6712.PNG (382.0 KB, 7 views)
DGM1962 and starnovi like this.

Last edited by Mini Me; 05-25-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Added screenshot
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

Originally Posted by mini me View Post
i got one from my wife for christmas. It is large enough to do a full ar upper but also has compartments that are just the right size for a pistol. It will not be a substitute for an old fashioned hand cleaning but it does remove the hard to get areas pretty effectively. I use distilled water and the hornaday brand ultrasonic solution. If you get him one i would recommend to get one that has the heat option.
And only use it on Raptors............
Mini Me likes this.
Kimber Super Carry Pro. (SOLD)
Kimber Super Carry Ultra H.D.
Kimber Stainless Raptor Pro.
Kimber Stainless Raptor Ultra. (SOLD)
Kimber Pro CDP (2017) 9mm.
Kimber Micro 9 CDP.
Sig Sauer P226 SAO Legion - 9mm.
Sig Sauer P 266 DA/SA Legion - 357 Sig. .40 S&W.
Sig Sauer P229 DA/SA Legion - 357Sig,40 S&W.
Sig Sauer P220 DA/SA Carry Legion - 45 ACP.
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
I got one from my wife for Christmas. It is large enough to do a full AR upper but also has compartments that are just the right size for a pistol. It will not be a substitute for an old fashioned hand cleaning but it does remove the hard to get areas pretty effectively. I use distilled water and the Hornady brand ultrasonic solution. If you get him one I would recommend to get one that has the heat option.
Thanks, I was looking at the Hornady cleaner. I checked out a few reviews and youtube videos, seems to get some of the gunk but not all of it, but I guess it could be a good pre-clean process too or probably good for cleaning a pistol after 50-100 rounds.

Question: do you air dry your parts after using the u/s cleaner or wipe dry? I saw a video where the demonstrator used an air compressor to dry off his parts. We have one, so I guess if it's necessary we could do that, but just wondering if it is.
Mini Me likes this.

Last edited by starnovi; 05-25-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #5

Yeah it's a good pre-clean or a quick freshen up. Kind of like running your car through an automated car wash. Does pretty good but doesn't compare to a hand wash.
I use compressed air to make sure all water is out although with the heat option they can "air dry" pretty fast but I wouldn't rely on air dry alone. I follow that with a pat down using a soft towel then Hoppes and Oil as needed.
starnovi likes this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Question: do you air dry your parts after using the u/s cleaner or wipe dry? I saw a video where the demonstrator used an air compressor to dry off his parts. We have one, so I guess if it's necessary we could do that, but just wondering if it is.[/QUOTE]

Hi Starnovi !
You could also find compressed air in aerosol can. I keep one on my work bench for air drying stuff. That is easier than getting the airhose & compressor out IMO. I generally get mine at Office Depot. These are also handy to clean out my keyboard when I get stuff on/in it from eating lunch and breakfast while catching up on emails and KT
starnovi likes this.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

I bagged a cheapie ultrasonic from Harbor Freight. It works ok, I suppose, but I have nothing to compare it to. Use compressed air judiciously. If you use it to blow dirt from your delicate mechanisms, you might actually be blowing dirt INTO the mechanism.
Tejun and swca like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #8

This is all you need. No expensive noisy machines. This stuff make dirt flow like water and evaporates as quickly as it does the job. Best thing since pizza. Great for getting into tight areas like revolver action groups, areas that you don't always take apart, etc.

http://www.g96.com/products/retail-p...polymer-safe/#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tejun and starnovi like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #9

Smile

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
This is all you need. No expensive noisy machines. This stuff make dirt flow like water and evaporates as quickly as it does the job. Best thing since pizza. Great for getting into tight areas like revolver action groups, areas that you don't always take apart, etc.

G96 Products Inc. ? Gun Lubricants & Cleaning Products for Firearms ? Crud Buster Polymer Safe

Thanks, but I doubt that would make a great Father's Day gift!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #10

Ultrasonic gun cleaners

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
Thanks, but I doubt that would make a great Father's Day gift!

Buy a case. It goes fast.
But seriously, if your guns were not kept clean over periods of time, I'd say ok.
But often would you use it? A manual cleaning is the best and most likely will still have to be done.
Even my beloved Gunny Sgt says I am more anal cleaning my guns than the Marines are.

How about a Tipton Gun Vice

Best Gun Vise https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AT3SCC..._6bokzb60W342F

...or a lead sled for the range? Don't mean to talk you out of it. Just hate to see money wasted. (there are cheaper models too).

Caldwell 336677 Lead Sled Dft 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCLR2L0..._zeokzbG25F0K8

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 05-26-2017 at 08:17 PM.
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

pros and cons of cleaning a pistol ultrasonic cleaner

Click on a term to search for related topics.