I'm a fugative once more. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

I'm a fugative once more.

Odd thing happened yesterday. As you know, I reluctantly joined FaceBook because the younger club members all use it to relay news. My best clients are there, too.

Yesterday I was scanning the new posts, and found an odd ad from one of the search companies. The reason it caught my eye was that the ad said, "We have now found Chico," and they added my real last name.

I contacted the brain trust over there--yeah, that's an oxymoron--and essentially asked WTF. I got a lame answer that it might take a week or two.

I deleted my account immediately.

Ya' know, if I have an enemy like that, I wish he's step into the light and be a man about it. Of all the anxiety-PTSD things I fear, going out in a blaze of glory is not one of them.

The better angel in me suggested an attorney. If this is just a trick to attract future business, it's a poor one.
speedydg13 likes this.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

Ah Facebook. The thief in the night that sells our life story to third party companies under the guise of "likes" "pokes" and "add friend"..

They are no different than Twitter or Instagram just to name a couple social networks. I have a real FB page and a fake one and the funny thing about the fake one is most of the suggested friends are really on my friends list on my real FB account. Now I use a different name, email and live in the Bronx, but somehow through cookies they really know it's me.

Our IT guy at work is good at his craft. A couple of years ago he was telling me with just a few tidbits of info about me he could tell me my life story. I gave him 3 things that he asked for and when I came back a few hours later he handed me a piece of paper with details about me only I thought I knew....I asked him how long it took him to find out all of that and he told me he had it before I left the yard with my next delivery.

We are all being watched online so just assume that once and for all. Every key stroke, places visited online and anything personal can be had by the right hacker living in his parents basement.

if someone really wants to find you are me, it's just a few clicks of the mouse away....

....and by the way, deleting your account doesn't matter because they already have all the info that they need through your IP address.....
Mini Me, Hawker800 and DaveinNC like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
....and by the way, deleting your account doesn't matter because they already have all the info that they need through your IP address.....
Yeah, I know, but all about butts in the seats.

For everyone that doesn't sign up or quits, a chain of new clients never develops. And I don't think kitten pictures are that cute...
Marshall, Hawker800 and DaveinNC like this.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #4

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Yeah, I know, but all about butts in the seats.

For everyone that doesn't sign up or quits, a chain of new clients never develops. And I don't think kitten pictures are that cute...
You are correct Chico. The world revolves around being seen and heard on the social networks and those companies or individuals like yourself will get left behind like the yellow pages left on the front porch if you don't play the game...

My Cerakote guy refused to join FB and advertise his skill and relied on local ads and word of mouth. One year ago he caved in and moved out of his workshop behind his house where his business was and move into a 5K sq ft building and hire 3 more people because his business took off like a wild fire. He's now looking for another larger building with more machines along with a few more people to hire.

Does anyone use those white/yellow pages any longer ?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #5

I refuse to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and such. Most people look at you like and anti-social freak when you tell them you're not into social media. I have a lot of folks who I don't want to know what I'm doing or to see the latest photos of my family. That said, I typed in my name and address info with phone number, my political affiliation and such just pop up. What can a person do.....that's just the way it is!
DaveinNC likes this.
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

Never give them real info
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #7

Originally Posted by OLE442 View Post
I refuse to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and such. Most people look at you like and anti-social freak when you tell them you're not into social media. I have a lot of folks who I don't want to know what I'm doing or to see the latest photos of my family. That said, I typed in my name and address info with phone number, my political affiliation and such just pop up. What can a person do.....that's just the way it is!
You want to hear something funny ? Back in 1987 I was arrested after a bar fight and when I gave my name they entered Jess as my name. Now we all know that my name is Jeff and they even changed it when I went to court. Thirty years later that name still comes up as an alias on my credit reports and search history made by any lenders that I may use.

Hey, it could be worse. They could have called me Tater Salad {aka} Ron White....

Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
Banned

I tried FB once. Touched base with some long ago friends. They are now even more boring then I once remembered.
OLE442 likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I don't do any of that social media crap, I think it for insecure people trying to keep up with everyone else.
DaveinNC likes this.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I don't do any of that social media crap, I think it for insecure people trying to keep up with everyone else.
Oh please....I am one of the most secure people that you know..I keep up with my friends, family and watch all of my nieces & nephews grow up via pictures.. Those who present drama get the axe from my friends list.

One could say that KT is like FB or Twitter. We check in daily and post pictures also....

You are on a social network covered in the veil of a gun forum....
MPO Southy and Hoffbrew like this.