Way before "online shopping" - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #1

Way before "online shopping"

Sitting here watching the old series called The Virginian and I saw that all the people in the area bought their goods at a General Store.

Now let's go back to the age of 15 and younger and share what kind of corner store, general store, 5 &10 or market that you and your family shopped at........Here's my story....

I grew up in the city where grocery stores were around, but on almost every corner was a pub or a corner store that the neighborhood families shopped at. Ours was called Gross Drugs owned by a cranky old man {Mr. Gross} and his nicer brother named Eddie.

They opened it up in the mid thirties and forty years later {1970's} it still looked the same as the day they opened. It had a wooden phone booth, soda and ice cream counter and a pharmacy. In the back of the store was a counter and behind it was the hard liquor and cold beer that many of the dad's in the neighborhood enjoyed.

Back in those days credit was given to those who needed it and on Friday those tabs were paid when those that ran a tab got their paychecks. For a small fee Mr Gross would cash checks for those who didn't have a bank account.

As a child I can still remember going there to buy baseball trading cards and penny candy. Kids these days don't have a clue on what they missed having a corner store on the block that they grew up on..
Chuck43, GiGi, 2sharp2 and 6 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #2

Wink Been There/Done That!!

Thanks for the memories, Marshall!! I remember going in the corner store with my brother when we were young. We each had a nickel to spend on whatever!! With that nickel, you could purchase enough "penny candy" to make you sick for a week!! I still remember the little white wax milk bottles filled with fruit flavored juices. After consuming the juice, you could chew on that wax for hours!!

Tootsie Rolls, Atomic Fireballs, gum,baseball & football cards and the big hit, where I lived as a kid, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, was the chocolate treat from down the road in Hershey Pennsylvania, the full size, big enough to choke you, Hershey's chocolate bar.
Hershey's!!!.jpg
I also remember when you entered the Hershey city limits, they presented you with a carton of Hershey bars!!!

No wonder this old ex-Lineman is fat!!! It started in my youth!! Thanks again, Marshall!! Kids these days don't know what a prize a nickel was back then!!
Chuck43, Marshall, GiGi and 4 others like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 06-24-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #3

Thumbs up

For us, it was rounding up return deposit bottles for the penny candy and, in early Spring, money for the 10 kites and string.
Chuck43, GiGi, Lineman and 1 others like this.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

Growing up in NJ you could find Italian delis and bakeries everywhere! In junior high (not called that anymore)and high school we could leave the building for lunch hour (can't do that anymore). Once a week at an Italian owned store, the owner sold hot meatball sandwiches that were as good as my mom's & my grandmother's. Other days we would go to the local drugstore which had a soda fountain & get sandwiches, fries, deep fried hot dogs, ice cream sundaes, malted milks to name a few of my favorites! On the corner of our street there was a little store that my mother walked to every day to buy the newspaper & fresh baked Italian bread. 3 blocks over was a larger store with a deli counter and also sold beer, wine, etc. Every Friday they made homemade fish cakes...Catholic, meatless Fridays (that's changed too). My mom would serve the fish cakes with spaghetti & marinara sauce. Sometimes I wish that store was still there just for those fish cakes. Sunday mornings we had fresh baked goods & rolls from the local bakery. Now I either have to bake the stuff myself or else buy them in bakery department of grocery chain store. Rarely see a bakery or Italian deli outside of NJ/NY. My first job in junior high was at the bakery, in high school I worked at the 5 & 10...they are gone too.

And, we had a "hardware" store where you could buy practically anything under the sun! Didn't work there, but it was a great place to browse. Still love browsing hardware stores except if I'm with my husband....he takes too long!

Oh, and speaking of chocolates, does anyone remember Chunky chocolate bars?

Oh, and Marshall...we had a local drugstore run by brothers too, and one was was much nicer than the other! They weren't the Gross brothers though! This was a fun trip down memory lane...thanks!

Heinie Lady Hawk 1911
Kimber Raptor 9mm full size SS
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Compact II 9mm
Kimber Micro 9 CTLG
Kimber Micro 380 Advocate
Sig Ultra Compact 2 tone 45 ACP
Sig P238 HD Nickel
Colt AR-15 9mm
CZ Rami 9mm
Glock 19
Glock 43
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro Series C.O.R.E.
Smith & Wesson M&P 22 compact
Walther PPS M2

Last edited by starnovi; 06-24-2017 at 04:21 PM.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #5

In my neighborhood in Chicago there were tiny Mom-and-Pop corner store groceries every 5 or 6 blocks. I walked past one on the way home from school which said "Olympia's" on the awning but for some reason we kids called it "Phil's". I have no idea why we called it that. I mainly remember the penny candy counter, good eats!
Chuck43, Marshall and starnovi like this.
WaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
...We each had a nickel to spend on whatever!! ... I still remember the little white wax milk bottles filled with fruit flavored juices. After consuming the juice, you could chew on that wax for hours!!

... Kids these days don't know what a prize a nickel was back then!!
Around gradeschool age, my brother and I would walk a mile into town to cool off and play in the city's outdoor swimming pool. It cost a dime to get in. One year our mother heard the cost had gone up to 15 cents, so she gave us an extra nickel and off we went. It turned out the price had NOT changed, so after swimming all day we would stop at the little corner store and spend that extra nickel on candy - same list as yours, Lineman. We neglected to tell Mom, all summer long. I wonder if she ever found out (ya think)?
Chuck43, Marshall, bhunted and 2 others like this.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #7

Dagen's market, mom & pop grocery; ice cream cone for a nickel, 2 dips for a dime. Seven cent Cokes, the 7 oz. size.

Murr's drug store and soda fountain. Root beer floats and comic books.

Hershey was up the road an hour; the modern Hershey candy is crap compared to the old days.

Goes back 60 years.
Marshall, speedydg13 and starnovi like this.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #8

Way before "online shopping"

Geeze, I often tear up about this type of stuff. If I could move to a town like Mayberry/Andy Griffith style, I would. Waiting for time machines.

I lived in my NJ town all my life. So this will not take much to recollect as it is embedded.

We had a hardware store where we got our baseball cards. We had a soda bar where Mr Miller, a great guy, would make us sundaes and egg creams. We had to hop up on these high stools to sit at the counter.
We got candy there as well. Bazooka bubblegum 3-4 pieces for a penny. When we were sick, dad or grandma would go to see Mr Miller for some coke syrup to help our belly aches. I'd walk to a dept store called Great Eastern Mills, go buy my model planes there and tease the Mina Bird in the pet dept named Poncho that cursed up a storm.
Dad would take us to many drive up burger joints. Not just Stewarts, but Top Burger and others.

There were only 2 places we enjoyed going. Palisades Amusement Park or Barchans(sp?) Island. If they were around today, we'd get their in a half hour on Rt 80 but we only had one 2 lane highway with plenty of circles and traffic lights. It took hours!!! Dad, we there yet? Dad, we there yet? Lol....

Speaking of driving, we have 2 major highways. State Rt 46 which was 2 lanes back then and today, Interstate 80....
Rt 80 was being built when I was in grammar school. BUT before Rt 80, it was the Eerie Lackawanna RR. Trains would sit above my house on a train trestle idling for hours and keeping me awake. The trestle is still there but it was modernized and replaced to hold Rt 80 and no more RR. Me and my friend road our bikes on Rt 80 just shortly after the concrete was cured. Talk about a road that looked humongous to little kids on bikes?

My grandparents were of German decent. Farmers then machinists. Weekends were always with my fav grandma. She baked and made her own jellies. She loved canning. We had all kinds of stuff growing. My favs were rasberry and grape jelly. My fav grandma (of the house I am in today), would take the 4 Singac bus to Paterson to shop.
Paterson was a great city before it turned to shite. I was born there. It was known as the Silk City. A textile city that everyone wanted to work in. No more today.

Grandma had a routine. Stop at the bakery for pumpernickel. Go to the butcher shop for liverwurst, bologna, limburger cheese, (ick!), etc., which the butcher always gave me a slice of wurst or bologna.

Then to the cobbler to get her shoes repaired and or polished while we waited in these little booths.

Then off to Woolworths. Always bought me a new toy. (I was her fav)..
I was military minded as a kid. So always wanted GI Joe stuff. Also, toy guns.... kewl stuff. Then to visit my other grandma, (dads mom). She worked downstairs in Woolworths at the coffee counter. She made me an ice cream sundae. Then to the bus stop and home.

I can go on, but maybe I'm being long winded.
The good ol' days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Marshall, speedydg13 and starnovi like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 06-24-2017 at 06:53 PM.
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #9

PS: Still watch all the old westerns on a new channel we got called MeTV.... brings back the days.

Marshall and GiGi like this.

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 06-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
Growing up in NJ you could find Italian delis and bakeries everywhere! In junior high (not called that anymore)and high school we could leave the building for lunch hour (can't do that anymore). Once a week at an Italian owned store, the owner sold hot meatball sandwiches that were as good as my mom's & my grandmother's. Other days we would go to the local drugstore which had a soda fountain & get sandwiches, fries, deep fried hot dogs, ice cream sundaes, malted milks to name a few of my favorites! On the corner of our street there was a little store that my mother walked to every day to buy the newspaper & fresh baked Italian bread. 3 blocks over was a larger store with a deli counter and also sold beer, wine, etc. Every Friday they made homemade fish cakes...Catholic, meatless Fridays (that's changed too). My mom would serve the fish cakes with spaghetti & marinara sauce. Sometimes I wish that store was still there just for those fish cakes. Sunday mornings we had fresh baked goods & rolls from the local bakery. Now I either have to bake the stuff myself or else buy them in bakery department of grocery chain store. Rarely see a bakery or Italian deli outside of NJ/NY. My first job in junior high was at the bakery, in high school I worked at the 5 & 10...they are gone too.

And, we had a "hardware" store where you could buy practically anything under the sun! Didn't work there, but it was a great place to browse. Still love browsing hardware stores except if I'm with my husband....he takes too long!

Oh, and speaking of chocolates, does anyone remember Chunky chocolate bars?

Oh, and Marshall...we had a local drugstore run by brothers too, and one was was much nicer than the other! They weren't the Gross brothers though! This was a fun trip down memory lane...thanks!

Where in NJ?

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II