LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #1

fellow mac users

DO NOT EVER ENABLE THIS BS!!!!!!

Hoffbrew and starnovi like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2017, 11:26 PM   #2

Disc encryption has been around for a long, long time. Conceptually, it's a cool idea, but it's a road I don't need to go down.

If file security is an issue, encrypt just the files or folders, but not the whole drive.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #3

hahaha...love the first line about Hillary. Thanks for posting, I just checked mine and it was turned off.

Heinie Lady Hawk 1911
Kimber Raptor 9mm full size SS
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Compact II 9mm
Kimber Micro 9 CTLG
Kimber Micro 380 Advocate
Sig Ultra Compact 2 tone 45 ACP
Sig P238 HD Nickel
Colt AR-15 9mm
CZ Rami 9mm
Glock 19
Glock 43
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro Series C.O.R.E.
Smith & Wesson M&P 22 compact
Walther PPS M2
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #4

That video was well done and I learned something about the system default! I agree that using File Vault is not a good idea unless, in your estimation the data your protecting is so highly critical that it is worth the potential head ache. If that is the case, I would have to question having it online and available 24 x 7?

Just yesterday I happened to be reading an article about. The new Apple OS where they are introducing a new file format that is purported to have many benefits in the area of backup and storage requirements. It really sounds good till you get to the part where they mention that converting will prevent use of many of the utilities commonly used for backup and maintenance.

Thankfully, using the newest format will be optional and users can elect to stay with current more conventional formats. Also it will not be available till OS 11 is available.

Your best bet is always to have a good security system in place and think carefully through any changes you plan to make. Newer is not always better.

If you can afford it, let someone else make the mistake and learn from it!

Where have I heard that before?

Russ
Old 06-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #5

my wife didn't know. and I didn't know she updated(it was a default).let it run its course all night then turned it off..now waiting all over again to decrypt..

hers got stuck and basically made the computer useless..
starnovi likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #6

Originally Posted by BugSlayer View Post
It really sounds good till you get to the part where they mention that converting will prevent use of many of the utilities commonly used for backup and maintenance.

Thankfully, using the newest format will be optional and users can elect to stay with current more conventional formats.

Riiiiiight... Like all those users who stuck with the File Allocation Table system for addressing files on their floppy discs and hard disks that were limited to 32 megabytes.

What are these "many utilities" you are using for backup and maintenance that you're so worried about losing?

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

Really?

The two reasons the video gives for not encrypting data are...

1. It takes up more hard drive space.

2. If you're an idiot and can't up with a password.

Wow....

Then the guy says that enabling FileVault becomes the default with an update. Well... been a Mac user since my late 2009 iMac. Gone through every update from Mountain Lion through the latest and greatest macOS Sierra 10.12.5. Uh.... FireVault is not the default on my iMac, MacBookPro nor MacBook Air.

Wonder who would be so interested as to make a video warning you not to encrypt data on your computer? Maybe someone who wants to scare you into selling you something? Ah... he sells private tutorials for $130/hr. RUN... run fast.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-27-2017 at 06:20 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #8

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Riiiiiight... Like all those users who stuck with the File Allocation Table system for addressing files on their floppy discs and hard disks that were limited to 32 megabytes.

What are these "many utilities" you are using for backup and maintenance that you're so worried about losing?
Not really sure where your going with this but, as an example, Time Machine. Per the article I read it will not work with the new file format. the same article mentions disk and file organization software which will also be affected.

you can read the same information at the following link;

https://blog.macsales.com/41434-firs...9ijzq342mlxwy4

I know its long but I thought you might ask.

Russ
Old 06-27-2017, 05:03 AM   #9

Of course APFS is going to work with TM and will work better. Remember, what you're reading are from guys using Beta developer versions of High Sierra, not the final product.

Here's a good read from ZDNet. Heck, they even mention TM in the Header. APFS up close: What Mac users need to know about Apple's new file system | ZDNet

Excerpts-

TIME MACHINE
Not only is Time Machine supported under APFS, itis much improved. I stopped using Time Machine years ago because it slowed my machines down so much. But with APFS's snapshot capability, the TM software is much simpler and way faster.

Of the new details from the WWDC talk, I'm most pleased by the promise of a vastly improved Time Machine. Perhaps it will finally be the backup utility that I've wanted all along. While I've long used Superduper! and Carbon Copy Cloner, I'd rather that functionality be built into macOS.

-----

Oh and as far as FileVault... the author recommends it. But I reckon ZDNet and the author aren't trying to pimp $130/hr from the readership.
RustyIron likes this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-27-2017 at 06:04 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #10

Remember, what you're reading are from guys using Beta developer versions of High Sierra, not the final product.

So, there you have it. I also was interested in APFS and will wait till it is no longer new and very well supported before making the change.

Russ