Nervous as hell... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Nervous as hell...

Now normally I don't post or ask people about this type of stuff. I know its a private type of thing. So if you are not willing to share, I understand.

I got a call from my doc yesterday with blood results from my annual physical. He NEVER calls me for anything unless major.
He said my PSA is elevated, (4.2 up from last year, 3.8.... normal is 4.0 or less). This indicates possibility of prostate cancer. He said the lab will also do an Apifany(sp?) Test. It went from 56, below the norm or 59, to 99 this year. 100 is the highest. He said go see this Urologist for further tests.

All day yesterday, I Googled my brains out trying to learn about all of this. Yesterday I was on a quest for knowledge. Today, the news must of set in because now I am nervous as hell and stomach is doing rolls. I've had all kinds of shite happen to me over the years, surgery and stuff. But never was scared about anything. Takes a lot to phase me.

Should I be worried? Anyone else ever get tested and have a false positive? If not, did they find just a simple prostate infection?

Again, I understand this is private. But I cannot get to the Urologist till next Tuesday for a consultation then who knows what from there. Worried just as much about the following medical bills too.
Ugh! The waiting is killing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Chuck43 and starnovi like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your medical issues. I have had to go through a lot this past couple of years surgeries and such. I can't give any info on prostate issues. Just encourage you to keep thinking positive. I know they have had a lot of success with treating prostate cancer.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #3

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
...PSA is elevated, (4.2 up from last year, 3.8.... normal is 4.0 or less) ... He said the lab will also do an Apifany(sp?) Test. It went from 56, below the norm or 59, to 99 this year. 100 is the highest.

... Should I be worried?...
Here's all I know - which ain't much. My brother went through the whole process, and eventually had his prostate surgically removed. He said the whole process was a big hassle (like most medical issues), but in the end, his health is fine and you would never know he ever had the problem.

His issue started with a BIG jump in his PSA - something like from 2 to 4. Being an airline pilot, it was discovered during his physical, and he was all worried about losing his flight status, but other than a little time off for the surgery, everything worked out fine.

He called and told me to insist my doctor give me a regular PSA test, too. My doctor did, but told me it was just one indicator, not definitive - and also said it wasn't so much the absolute value of the PSA, but how much it increased over time. In your case, it sounds like the change was relatively small, so I would take that as a good sign. I have never heard of the other test, so can't weigh in there.

And now, a philosophical perspective, if you'll excuse me. Worry never helps anything - only makes things worse - though I can certainly understand your concern. My recommendation is to go out to that beautiful, relaxing, Black Hole sanctuary you built, and putter in the dirt to take your mind off things. Best wishes from the P8RIOT.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #4

Thanks guys. That lil psa jump normally wouldn't phase me. It varies like you said, as you get older. Its only .2 over my age category. My WBC and Neutrilis(sp?) is also slightly elevated indication that my system is trying to fight off an infection. I'm hoping it's just something like a prostate infection of sort. What gets me is that Apifinay thing. Although they claim success in helping diagnose, its not even fda approved.
Then, the first visit is a consultation that will be covered by insurance, but the deductible of $142 has to be paid on the spot.
For that price, they better be giving me a DRE for free.
All in all, its the waiting thats killing me.
If I keep occupied, I'm ok. But its raining cats and dogs since yesterday. So stuck in a gloomy house. All projects inside are done or in holding pattern till I make sure I don't have to shell out a ton of money.
Ya know, you can point a loaded gun in my face and it won't phase me. But this crap irks me. Maybe because its something I have no control over.
Ugh.

Chuck43, RustyIron and starnovi like this.

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 07-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Good luck with everything. As the others said, worry will only bring you down and steal your energy. I recommend you buddy up with a close friend or family member who can be your coach & cheerleader. I find myself encouraging my son (fighting lung cancer) regularly to maintain a positive attitude, especially when tests are coming or waiting for test results.

None of us is promised tomorrow. All we have is right now; today. Don't spoil it by worrying about things that may not come to pass.
Chuck43 and bhunted like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)

Last edited by Insta-Gator; 07-14-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

I agree with P8TRIOT about not worrying. Totally understandable how you feel but until you know more, there isn't much you can do.

Not from personal experience but from what you see "out there" a lot of times the doctors take a wait and see approach. Most information I've seen says in most cases not much is done but maybe more watch and see.

Hopefully for you, it is a "nothing burger" and you'll have little to really worry about.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.
Chuck43 and bhunted like this.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I saw a Urologist after my doctor was concerned with my annual PSA test coming back extremely high. Except for a painful biopsy performed on my prostrate it turned out to be nothing. I believe that the American Urologist Association is now changing their thinking on PSA test findings. In any case I'd suggest you follow up with a visit to a Urologist but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Gmountain, Dude22 and bhunted like this.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I saw a Urologist after my doctor was concerned with my annual PSA test coming back extremely high. Except for a painful biopsy performed on my prostrate it turned out to be nothing. I believe that the American Urologist Association is now changing their thinking on PSA test findings. In any case I'd suggest you follow up with a visit to a Urologist but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I am.... Tuesday. Waiting sux. I watched a video of that transperineal biopsy. Hope they go that way. Ouch.
Much pain afterwards?

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 07-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I agree with P8TRIOT about not worrying. Totally understandable how you feel but until you know more, there isn't much you can do.

Not from personal experience but from what you see "out there" a lot of times the doctors take a wait and see approach. Most information I've seen says in most cases not much is done but maybe more watch and see.

Hopefully for you, it is a "nothing burger" and you'll have little to really worry about.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Who the hell invented that nothing burger. I'd like to bitch slap them. You must watch The Five.... lmao.

Masquer08er likes this.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 07-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #10

About 2-3 years ago my PCP told me that the thinking on the PSA has changed; they're not real concerned about the numbers. He also stated there's apparently not a lot of value to the digital, but would do it if I requested it (yeah, right ).

He still orders the PSA with my other blood work, but I think it's just one indicator of a possible need to take a further look.

Fyi, my wife is a two-time cancer survivor, cervical and breast; and my paternal grandfather had been treated for prostate CA for almost 20 years b/4 he died from cardiac issues at age 87.

My wife worked as an adult bone marrow transplant nurse at DUMC; her experience is that a positive attitude is a huge factor in outcomes.

Cancer is a big word, but it's getting smaller by the day, as we appear to be winning Nixon's war on cancer. You wouldn't believe the amazing stuff they're doing now.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and get the consult, and I'd want another PSA done too.

Best of luck to you, and keep us updated.
bhunted and Jflytle like this.

Last edited by DaveinNC; 07-14-2017 at 05:17 PM.
DaveinNC is offline   Reply With Quote